U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 23,771 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about relocating to Vancouver and wanted to know what is the weather mainly live during the different seasons. Does it snow in winter. Just wanted to know. I used to live in Colorado for years and moved because I couldn't deal with the snow anymore. Any responses would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 AM

11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
It only snows about 3 days / year in Vancouver, and usually only a couple inches or a dusting. The rain will often wash it away in a few hours. There is an occasional freezing rain or ice storm, once / yr on the east side, and once every 3 yrs on the west side. It can snow heavy (1ft) but that is very rare (once in 7 yrs). The snow is WET and HEAVY. The ice is 'slick' (surprise), as in you will not be able to walk to your mailbox w/o golf shoes. Driving is really a challenge on those days, and not getting hit by other drivers a bigger challenge.

I came from Colorado to Vancouver, WA, but I much prefer the light fluffy snow in Colo, + we lived near Estes Park / Loveland and got very little snow. I rode my bicycle to work everyday but 3 the last year I lived there. (it was a mild year). I do miss the occasional 60 and 70F days in Colo Winter, and the 'chinook winds', so I fly back frequently in winter to get a look at the sun. I never had a set of 'snow tires' in 25 yrs in Colorado, (crunchy/ good traction snow) but here (WA), I must wear studded snows on all four wheels (I live out east of Vancouver, = 80 mph winds and freezing rain ~ 10x / yr). You could get by without them if you don't drive when it is freezing (it is always raining), or when it snows (wet, heavy, and slick).

In Vancouver, I have ridden my bike to work a couple times in 27 years. The roads are narrow and dark, and no shoulders, and drivers do not show courtesy to give you space. The rain could be considered another problem for some...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 PM

144 posts, read 34,009 times
I wish it snowed in Vancouver!
Better than rain and my family loves to play in the snow.
I know in Tacoma we always got a month of snow a year.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:49 AM

787 posts, read 1,088,855 times
Quote:
I used to live in Colorado for years and moved because I couldn't deal with the snow anymore.
lol. One of the reasons i want to move to the US is to live in a city where it snows. Snow is a rare sight here in Oz

Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 AM

30 posts, read 92,513 times
Default There are areas

There are parts around Vancouver that do snow a little bit more. North of Battle Ground there are areas that receive several more days of snow than Vancouver. These are definately more rual areas but are still within 15-35 minutes from Vancouver.

I agree there will still be very limited times it may snow and it is more of a wet snow, but it is not uncommon to see 12"-18" on the ground up here. It will never compare to Colorado, but if you are trying to get away from that this is a great area. This is an area that you will get the best of all 4 seasons, but not the drastic effects of each.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 AM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
Although it does not get heavy snow it will vary around the area depending upon elevation... on a day where the areas above 1200 ft. get a good snow fall there may only be a dusting below 200 ft.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:37 PM

129 posts, read 383,724 times
Snow seems to be pretty rare. We're enjoying several sunny days lately. Rains alot too, mostly at night it seems.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 AM

17 posts, read 62,753 times
In town in Vancouver it snows about as much as described in the earlier posts. Vancouver is close to the foothills of the cascade mountains so elevation rises quickly to the east. Vancouver elevation is about 150 feet above sea level however within fifteen minutes you can be at 1500 feet... a little further 3000 ft and so on. The higher you are the more snow you get. At some higher elevations snow can be significant factor of your living experience in the Vancouver area.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 PM

We're getting some this week end weatherunderground has said. Off and on for 4 days. Mt. Hood should be ready for some skiing as they say. Me? Inside avoiding terrible drivers. Don't like black ice

Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Uh...well...

Those of you wanting snow have let the genie out of the bottle. Let's put him back in before we're stuck at home all week during Xmas. Whew! I think we're all caught up now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area