Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM

273 posts, read 1,755,333 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move from Atlanta to Vancouver, and find a job in Vancouver so I don't have to commute to Portland. (I want to live NEAR Portland, but can't afford the real estate.) Can I find an accounting job fairly easily? I'm thinking I need to make $70-80,000 annually to afford a house for around $225-250,000. Does that sound right for that area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
I'd like to move from Atlanta to Vancouver, and find a job in Vancouver so I don't have to commute to Portland. (I want to live NEAR Portland, but can't afford the real estate.) Can I find an accounting job fairly easily? I'm thinking I need to make $70-80,000 annually to afford a house for around $225-250,000. Does that sound right for that area?

Thanks
I'm not in accounting, but you might check out the free salary calculators on sites such as hotjobs.com or monster.com to get an idea of what your position and education would be paid in the area.

On the hotjobs.com site, it says that an Accountant I makes between $38K-$47K in Vancouver. But double check. I have no clue what differences there are between the different job titles they list so that could be off, depending on what you do.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 221,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post

Thanks
There are LOTS of accounting jobs in the Portland area. Finding one in Vancouver will be more difficult as many people want to live and work in Vancouver so they don't have to pay state income taxes. Most people end up living in Vancouver and commuting to Portland. It is, however, possible to find job in Vancouver ... just more difficult ... and typically they pay less ... though you won't be paying state income tax (9% in Oregon).

The pay depends on what KIND of accounting job you're looking for. I have a friend that just bought a house for $240,000 and she makes around $40,000 a year. Not sure how much her downpayment was.

Check out jobs on Craigslist, www.cascadelink.org/job (broken link), www.oregonlive.com, and so forth.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area