Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,627 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Vancouver, Wash, very shortly and I am looking for answers to these questions:
A. Does Vancouver have any "bad areas" (too much crime, etc.) and if so, what`s the names of those areas?

B. What are some "choice" areas to live in (greenbelts, close to shopping centers, close to natural areas?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
What's your price range?
Do you have work / school / commute (airport / Portland) requirements?

Rent or buy?
Like suburbia (traffic lights) or curvy country roads?

search this forum, as there is lots of Vanc info.
#################
Camas (10 Mile east) is a pretty good choice, (unless you need access to downtown Vanc, or Rivergate (OR) area), but it also has a couple 'seedy' areas.

Basically, areas east of I-205 probably fit your criteria, it is pretty 'suburbia' . (shopping / green belts / low crime / natural areas (Columbia Gorge / St Helens))

Area above Vancouver Lake also would work (west of Hazel Dell AVE), then to the north, Salmon Creek (area around jct of I-205 and I-5).

Some folks prefer to avoid 'dogpatch' (orchards), but it has some decent areas, just a lot of 'tract rental homes'.

For the more spendy destination with good schools, Hockinson is preferred. (~10 miles NE)

Camas and Vancouver grow together in SE (east of 164th and south of 28th St) This is 'Fisher Landing' area. Evergreen schools seem to be preferred over Vanc (in general), but... Vanc has an 'Arts academy' (north of downtown) and advanced technical courses at Skyview (Salmon Creek).

Clark College is in 'downtown' vanc, and WSU is in Salmon Creek area. Both are good and accessible.

If you want a good public swimming pool for daily lap swimming you will be very disappointed...

Try your desired location during rush hr BEFORE buying, as it is not too bad, but only getting worse. (not much for traffic light free 'express' routes). Best to get a 'night shift job', as it gives you EZ commute and more winter 'light therapy' (free lighting at work !). saves on TV expense too!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-13-2007 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 30,146 times
Yeah I live in Vancouver currently and we love it here. The only area that I would stay away from is the St. Johns and Rosemere Districts. They are basically and streets that are letters as in "A St", "B st". We live on the east side of town and it is very quiet. The close to the river you get the more wind and noise from airplanes you will have. East of 164th Ave is really booming with new homes. Mill Plain and SE164th ave has a lot of new buisnesses going up. The closer to downtown you get the older the homes but the have alot of character with old maple trees lining the streets. Looks west of Main Street, and on Lincoln street. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Hey Devin!

Both janb and bbfan11 have given you excellent information. Janb's information is usually pretty dead-on and they're usually a weath of information for any newbie to the area.

Another thing you may want to watch out for are any homes listed as "near" Westfield Shopping Center or Vancouver Mall. They're the same thing, but that area tends to have higher crime than many others. Also avoid the areas of St. Johns/St. James (they're both one way streets in the same area, a block away from each other and heading in opposite directions), and what is referred to as "Alphabet City" in downtown Vancouver. That's the area with the "A street", "B street", etc.

The far east side of Vancouver is extremely family-friendly, as is Camas and Washougal. Camas schools are exceptional, though. Even compared to the highly rated Evergreen schools in Vancouver. Washougal schools are improving drastically, but still lag a bit behind those in Camas and some in the Evergreen district. But you'll likely find homes and property less expensive in Washougal.

For information on both areas, I'd highly recommend reading their local bi-weekly newspaper online. Here's their website: >>>>www.camaspostrecord.com<<< That will give you an idea of the issues in the area.

Also, if you're interested, here's a link for crime statistics for Vancouver: >>>>http://www.columbian.com/news/portrait/news/02252007news108938.cfm<<<< This is a great resource to compare neighborhoods and gives you an idea of which to avoid like the plague.

Good luck! I love this area and hope you and your family will, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area