Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM

17 posts, read 60,351 times

Advertisements

Job relocation brings us across the country to the beautiful Northwest. We have read some of the helpful posts on various neighborhoods and was hoping some would be willing to share additional info. We are currently living about 25 miles South of Boston in a coastal well established neighborhood (Town was established in a not so recent 1642). We have twin 4 year old girls and a new baby on the way. So Camas comes recommended - is the pronunciation of Camas - Kaa-mas or kay-mess or something else all together. We are both well traveled so even we cringe when someone says Oree-GONE. The concern I have is that the commute to the job in Kalama might get long from that area vs other neighborhoods in Vancouver. We would be looking for homes in the $650-$750k range and would like to avoid row or tract housing as we are not used to that here in New England. We live on 1 acre of land now! Don't expect to get that and be near town but if we can get some old trees in the yard and a bit of space that would be a big win. I notice nobody has pools where here everybody has a pool (even with the ocean 2 miles away, go figure???)? Could anybody narrow down some neighborhoods that we can look in that price range when we come out in a few weeks? Does anybody use the YMCA there and what do you think of it?
Thanks
Mike & Shan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
For $650k you can find some very nice properties.

If you'll be working in Kalama, take a look at Ridgefield and Battle Ground, both of which are supposed to have good schools. Further south, there's Salmon Creek (near WSU) where the I-5 and I-205 come together.

Camas (KAM-us) is a hefty drive, mostly because it'll be slow back roads to I-5.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I had a friend who drove Camas to Longview daily for many years. It is about an hour, so Kalama would be 50 minutes, and you will be able to do via Hwy 14 > 205 > I-5.

I would look to areas around Kalama (Between Kalama and Woodland). There are even nice areas in Kelso (Usually on the east side of I-5) Look around Carroll, there is a really nice 'country school' up above and to the east, an looks to be a nice area. Longview gets very poor reputation for Meth, but my friends who live in east Kelso have not had a problem. The High schools may be another issue...but I'm sure you can use 'Running Start' (college instead of HS)
Lower Columbia College: Events Calendar

I would consider the benefits of Cowlitz County, as Clark County (Vancouver, Camas, and south side of Woodland) has just got out of hand with property taxes. Mine went from $800 / yr to $8000 / yr in 10 years, and are now $12,000 / yr. That is $33 / day... We home schooled due to terrible public schools at the time. Washougal is really proud of their progress and last week reported that 25% of the AP students in HS passed the requirement to actually get college credit !! (as compared to 15% national average and 75% Camas score). I'm not impressed... for what I spend on taxes for school / library...and at the quality of kids showing up to college (which I am currently attending as an 'antique' student)

There is a Y in Longview, but it is pretty old. There is a new Y in Vancouver, but it is WAY SMALL and very expensive. Search this thread, as there were some comments on it a few weeks ago. If you want an indoor pool, you will be best off joining a club. For weights and machines there are less expensive clubs.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Ridgefield / Salmon Creek has some nice properties that put you close to ammenities and get you a straight shot to work. Clark County taxes are not low but are a fraction of some other areas of the country. While the YMCA is not real close there are a number of private clubs and gyms that worth considering.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Salmon Creek is very nice and if you're looking for more land Hockinson (lots of 1+ lots) is also beautiful, with excellent schools and some very grand neighborhoods.

No pools because its too cold the vast majority of the year and while the summers are stunning, the highs are often only in the 70s.

You'll love it here, we're never going back east!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the tips and info, it is much appreciated. We will be checking out the Salmon Creek area in a few weeks.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I am also from Mass and have lived in the area, Portland for 3 years now. I hope you will enjoy it here. I don't know if you have been here before, but if not it will be very different than New England. I see nothing that resembles the South Shore in any way so it can take some getting used to. The housing is very different and homes are extremely close to one another here with little yard. Unless you are buying an older home in an older part of a community, I don't see any way around this living on top of you type arrangement I would also recommend both Salmon Creek or Camas, I do however recommend Salmon Creek over Camas because of the winter driving. Salmon Creek would be a shorter easier commute to your job. This year definitely showed me the difference in dealing with winter here vs New England. Your commute could be downright deadly trying to get to your job from Camas in winter. Roads are not maintained as they are in New England, and Camas means hills and a longer drive. Do your homework carefully when you come out here for house hunting. Buying a home in an entirely different part of the country, when you are not familiar with an area can be difficult. I don't know you and or your needs, but I do know Mass and I know the South Shore, as I am from just across from you in the Foxboro Attleboro area. I have heard only good reviews on both Camas and Salmon Creek so they are definitely areas you would want to look at. As for Portland which is just across the river from Camas, I can honestly say there are times I would feel safer in Brockton or much of Providence. That goes for several areas of Vancouver also. I do have to say though I have found in my 3 years here, Vancouver wins over Portland as a more livable area. To sum it up stick to the areas recommended and you should be fine. As far as YMCA's they are here. However they are not nearly as popular or the amount of them as back home. Actually thats a shame I believe in them, and they are an excellent option for both parents and the kids. Gyms however are very popular here, although only the big chain ones. 24 hour fitness, Bally's and LA Fitness. I prefer the mom and pop local type gyms myself, but I belong to the 24 hour fitness chain out here. I think you will like it here, but again do your homework carefully. This is a long long way from Mass. So you want to make everything involved as smooth as can possibly be. Best of Luck to you and your family and welcome to the Northwest.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Jimrob1,

I sent you a private email, I was born and raised in Attleboro.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area