U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 158,925 times
Default Best place to live in Vancouver

Hello,
My husband and I will be moving to Vancouver in May and would like to know the best area to live. We will be renting an apt at first and would welcome any suggestions. Anyone heard of an area in Vancouver called Orchards and is it any good?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM

59 posts, read 188,907 times
Orchards is a really nice place. It's got beautiful scenery and the plants oh my gosh, it's so green. i love it there, plus the people are really really nice and everyone stops and says hi

Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 PM

984 posts, read 1,910,770 times
Unhappy Just don't move next to Tonya Harding's trailer park

My sister moved to Vancouver and her first apartment was a few blocks from her trailer park. She would frequently be woken up by the police breaking up a domestic disturbance call (she was arrested again a few days ago).

Vancouver has also gotten a lot more expensive, but is still pretty cheap compared to the rest of washington.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 75,523 times
Default Vancouver / Orchards..

Orchards like many places has its good spots and not so good spots. There are a few really nice sub-divisions that are great for raising a family. Try to stay away from the older neighborhoods. East Vancouver in general is a great place. Close to the freeways, shopping and a few nice places to eat.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 158,925 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies everyone they were helpful I'll beware of Tanya H. and my kneecaps!!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 AM

550 posts, read 2,254,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscookie View Post
Thanks for your replies everyone they were helpful I'll beware of Tanya H. and my kneecaps!!
She lives in Yacolt now, so unless you're going for the rural thing, I think your kneecaps should be pretty safe.

Personally, I like the east side of Vancouver. The Fisher's Landing area is pretty nice. Also, check out Camas. It butts up against Fisher's Landing and is a good area, too, especially for families. The schools in both Fisher's Landing and Camas are absolutely fantastic and the neighborhoods are usually very well kept. Close to lots of shopping, too.

I'd avoid most areas near Vancouver Mall (or Westfield Shopping Town, as it's now called), and the area known as "Alphabet City" (any streets with letters instead of names, usually closer to downtown). LOTS of crime in those areas. Also, lots of crime in several of the downtown neighborhoods, too. I really like downtown Vancouver, but it isn't nearly as family friendly as many other parts of town. (Love the Farmer's Market, though! Great place to pick up farm fresh food or really unique stuff directly from the artists.)

Here's a pretty helpful link for crime stats in Clark County: >>>http://www.columbian.com/news/crime/crimestatistics2006.cfm<<< Click on the link that says "Click here to see numbers for all neighborhoods." Gives you a pretty good idea of the crime levels in most Vancouver areas.

Good luck with the move and I hope you enjoy the area as much as I do!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
OB1

4 posts, read 80,907 times
Default Near Vancouver

You might want to check out Ridgefield. It's about 15 minutes north of Vancouver. When we moved here we looked at all of the different places surrounding Vancouver and decided it was better out here. Shopping is close (Salmon Creek or Woodland or Vancouver) and it has everything you need. Jantzen Beach in Portland is only about 25 minutes if you need big ticket items without the sales tax. Depends on your situation...if a person is retired, with kids, where the job is, etc. Also depends on price range and what your lifestyle is. Lots of things to consider.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
It is all relative but I found more good places than bad in Vancouver. Compared to many places in other states there is nothing that is really bad. I bought a home in Salmon Creek after looking for a few months.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Status: "Still holding on to flip flop weather!" (set 20 hours ago)

4,133 posts, read 7,959,547 times
Where to live in Vancouver depends on a bunch of things, including - commute, school districts and whether you'd prefer urban/rural/suburban/small town atmosphere.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 PM

10,900 posts, read 17,967,210 times
renting a suite on Officers Row would be kinda nice

I'm not keen on Orchards (i.e. 'dogpatch') but it has some decent spots. Do a search, there have been some suggestions on Vanc Locations.

less desirable is area on east 4th plain between I-5 and I-205
also east 18th is not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area