Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM

53 posts, read 348,930 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it's cheaper up there, but Vancouver is a bigger city (2 million compared to Seattle's +500,000). Rather stay in the states?

Do a lot of Seattlites travel up to Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post
Not sure if it's cheaper up there, but Vancouver is a bigger city (2 million compared to Seattle's +500,000). Rather stay in the states?

Actually the Vancouver metro is much less populated than the Seattle area. The population in the city limits are almost identical (approx. 580,000), however the Seattle metro is around 3.5 mil while the Vancouver metro is about 2 mil. Vancouver may "feel" larger because there are tons of residents living in the downtown Vancouver peninsula, whereas Seattle is a bit more spread out. Vancouver is an awesome city to visit, it has it's own unique vibe.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post

Actually, Angry, the two cities are relatively close in population.

The 2 million population that you were quoting is for the greater Vancouver area (suburbs ...or the general metro area). The city of Vancouver itself (the last time I checked) is just over 600,000.

Seattle's population --the city itself-- is 550,000+ However, the greater Seattle area, the metro area, is approaching 4 million, I believe.

As far as Seattle people going to visit, I'll be interested in the responses you get.

Years ago, I used to go up there quite a bit. There never was a wait and we could breeze through the border fairly quickly with no hassles in both directions. Now, there's always quite a wait because of all the security procedures. I haven't been through the border in years so maybe somebody else can chime in to let us know how it is but the last time I went it was more than I wanted to put up with.

I don't even know what the exchange rate is right now. So if your question is whether it is advantageous to shop in Canada, I can't say for sure. It used to be that Canadians would come down to shop in Bellingham. Can anybody clue us in on this?

One thing Vancouver definitely has over Seattle is a great chinatown!

Thanks.

--'rocco

edit: oooops, toughguy beat me to it. I was composing my post as he was posting and I didn't get the chance to read what he wrote so disregard what I said.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM

44 posts, read 187,906 times
This is in the Vancouver, Washington area of this site. Think that you wanted it to it to be in Vancouver, BC.

Last edited by scottsostuff; 07-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM

336 posts, read 864,416 times
Amazing how many people don't realize that a Vancouver washington exists. Thats why I always say Vancouver washington USA because I always here oh, Vancouver BC is so beautiful. Well i really wouldn't know never been, but can imagine. Vancouver washington USA is beautiful too. Common mistake because before my husband moved me here over 12 yrs ago I never heard of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area