Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 36,600 times

Advertisements

hello

we are looking to relocate our family to either OR or WA. from our research, we've found excellent schools and more house for the $ in WA so we're considering Camas or Washougal areas however we are also considering Lake Oswego as we've heard it's the place to be in OR. as we are from santa barbara, we'd like to go somewhere that doesn't feel too big yet has access to some good shopping (we don't even have a target!). what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 03:54 PM

26 posts, read 223,982 times
Hi elocin,

I can't tell you a whole lot, but this is what I can offer:

Lake Oswego is expensive, upper-class, family-oriented. Lots of nice houses that have been there a while and so have wonderful plants, trees, and mature landscaping. Most people associate living in Lake Oswego as being financially successful - not too many beaters or run-down homes there. Some expensive boutiques and bistros. With a pretty little downtown area, close to I-5. Has sort of a small-town feel, but is right next to Portland. It is more of an "old money" type suburb.

Camas (I don't know enough about Washougal) is more rural and open. You can be from any social or financial class in Camas. Housing ranges from affordable for families to those new, expensive, big homes that the yuppie-types seem to like. Doesn't have the "pretty" look of Lake Oswego, it's small downtown is more industrial and there is a big paper mill there. But it's got its quaint aspect and a nice new library and is close to so many outdoor activities.

Housing costs are less in Washington. Washington has sales tax, Oregon has income tax.

Good luck and happy researching.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 53,572 times
Default nouveautes

I would agree to the LO - Camas Comparison.
LO is great, very upscale. Lacamas lake in Camas is also fabu.
There is no comparison on taxes......BIG DIFFERENCE.
e mail me back if you want a breakdown. WA is seeing about 40 families a day moving over from Oregon. Need I say more.
Good luck [moderator cut]

Last edited by Yac; 07-24-2006 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Default how's the smell in camas?

thanks nouveautes. how about the smell from the paper mill in camas? have heard that it sometimes smells but that it's mostly down by the river? if we want to avoid the smell, where should we be looking?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 39,779 times
Default Camas

Just happened upon your post when searching for the Camas city website. http://www.ci.camas.wa.us/

I agree with the others, SW Washington over Oregon. Better school funding (I have two in public elementary school), no income tax, lower property taxes, etc. Fisher's Landing (a Vancouver neighborhood) is another place you should check out -- right next to West Camas. When I moved to Washington, my co-workers joked that I would feel right at home there since I was from California (apparently that's where they all go).

It's interesting that you picked Camas and Lake Oswego as your options because the City of Camas just finished a project where they were trying to determine what city services (and levels) to provide and one of their main compairson cities was Lake Oswego.

I am a Camas resident (two years now) and think of it as a little Lake Oswego. There is a lot of housing growth going on now and it is still a good time to get in before everything is too expensive (which IMHO Lake Oswego is). Coming from Santa Barbara (assuming home ownership), you will have plenty of options by the lake or with Columbia river views.

And you hardly ever smell the paper mill. They have done a lot of improvements over the years and the smell has gone away. But if you're really worried, stay away from old town Camas and down by the river. The lake is probably a good location. We're on the north side of Prune Hill and get maybe 2 days a year where you can notice the smell.

Hope your move goes well.

Oh, and we have Target, Costco, Wal-Mart (unfortunately) all close by. For more upscale shopping, Portland is not too far away and sales tax free! Roots is the best restaurant around and it's very close. http://rootsrestaurantandbar.com/

And one more thing. If you travel -- LO to airport (PDX) is a nightmare (30-40 minutes during peak times). I used to live in Sherwood (west of LO), so I should know. Camas to airport (PDX) is a breeze (8 minutes, pretty much any time of day).

Sorry if I rambled. I can't say enough about how much we enjoy Camas.

Dan

Last edited by dan_mp; 07-26-2006 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 PM

thanks dan, that helps a lot! how is the smog up there? i've heard the smog restrictions aren't as strict as CA?

Old 07-26-2006, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 39,779 times
Default Smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elocin71
thanks dan, that helps a lot! how is the smog up there? i've heard the smog restrictions aren't as strict as CA?
Cars do have to go through testing just like in CA. But it's only the major metro areas, which LO and Camas would fall under.

Unlike CA (at least it was like this in 1992 when we moved), the government does the testing and not auto shops/gas stations.

Dan

Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elocin71 View Post
thanks nouveautes. how about the smell from the paper mill in camas? have heard that it sometimes smells but that it's mostly down by the river? if we want to avoid the smell, where should we be looking?
If you want to avoid 99.9% of the "Camas Smell", move to Washougal. The east wind out of the Columbia River Gorge carries the smell to Vancouver. But even without the wind, the smell is pretty minimal now. The mill emissions are very tightly controlled by the EPA and they're required to notify all local areas if there's a leak beyond normal allowances.

In all, Camas/Washougal is a MUCH better area than LO. And to whomever said that Camas wasn't pretty, have you been there lately? It's a GORGEOUS area, particularly around the lake. My grandfather was born in the old Ledbedder mansion, (the giant red house on the opposite side of the lake from the fancy subdivisions on the east side of the lake). Fern Prairie is lovely and so are most areas along the Washougal River. Absolutely beautiful area with that small town feeling where everyone says "hi," to each other, even when they don't know them.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 12,564 times
Default Camas vs. LO Comments

I stumbled across this website from Google and couldn't resist posting. Camas, Washington vs. LO? Are you kidding me? I can't believe some of the posts I've read. I've lived in LO for five years now and would never live anywhere else. This place is great. We have the best schools, police, etc. in the entire Nortwest. I have friends in Camas and go up there quite often. The population there is comprised largely of local Jed Clampett types and rejects from California who couldn't afford homes in the Bay Area or LA. And yes, plenty of Hummers, jacked up pickup trucks and meth houses to boot. Come down to LO sometime. Camas vs. LO? Get real.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonjed View Post
...couldn't resist posting. Camas, Washington vs. LO? Are you kidding me? .. I've lived in LO for five years now and would never live anywhere else. This place is great. We have the best schools, police, etc. in the entire Nortwest. I have friends in Camas and go up there quite often. The population there is comprised largely of local Jed Clampett types and rejects from California who couldn't afford homes in the Bay Area or LA. ... Camas vs. LO? Get real.
imagine that, coming from LO resident...

Both places have their benefits and disadvantages, it will really depend on your social needs and tax / job / commute, as you can have a good experience raising a family on either side.

WA state funding is more stable, and overall state economy more balanced.

OR tends to have some 'protectionist' (opinionated) attitudes, and a good example of the 'intolerance' of the 'diversity' culture.... In general OR = Granola and micro brew Beer and jazz clubs; WA = Coffee and Wine (and beer) and movies; LO = High end suburbia. (fairly exclusive, and fairly similar) C/W = full range, elite to bum; but mostly moderate middle > upper class. You can get gated estates, and mobile homes on acreages.

Us 'hicks' in C/W are being chased out by high property values and taxes, and good paying blue collar jobs going away. (and lets see... what would 8% OR income tax have done to my net worth over the past 25 yrs in WA?...)

Unfortunately, You'll find plenty of meth on either side. I've never had a problem in WA with it, but it's everywhere. LO may be more buffered due to a high concentration of 'upper-crust', but rest assured it is not Meth -free, nor Property crime free.

Access to the airport, and the Columbia Gorge make C/W very attractive. (and I like the fact that 80 MPH winds in East Washougal keep the BMW riff-raff West of Camas, and mostly in LO )

I won't get too far on my soap-box over emissions... just that the ENTIRE left coast will be CARB 'ed by 2009, and Hurray !! we'll get to reduce emissions by 25% in 25 yrs , and support a HUGE gov infrastructure to comply;;; or... we (OR / WA) COULD have combined conservation, eco fuels, and transportation alternatives and reduced emissions by 75% in 5 yrs... The OR gov lobbied for CARB, and WA had voted it down UNLESS OR approved it, so --- We've been torpedoed. (and no new 50 mpg diesel VW's allowed... unless you bring them in used, as you have to do in CA), but hey, I wouldn't have to test my $35.00 VW Rabbit (50mpg, 'hick' pickup) if I lived in CA (It has never exceeded 10% of limit, even with 500,000 miles)

I can think of a few reasons to live in LO; probably more access to group classical music participation and foreign language schools. I solved that problem, by taking some foreign assignments while kids were school age, that proved to be a pretty good cultural experience for all. (we tried to live with the nationals (hicks) instead of the ex-pat's (upper-crust). My kids are probably ruined for life...) LO probably has a community indoor swimming pool (which CW lacks )

One thing that really worked great in WA was 'Running Start'; FREE college during grades 11 and 12. OR has similar program, but I am not aware of too many OR kids who graduate HS with 2 full yrs of College under their belts, and direct transfers to U as a junior. It is very common in WA, and great for some kids. (saves 2 yrs College $$ as well). Clark College in Vanc has very good reputation in science and math. (plus its a good time to tune up study skills, ... it is not ez (80% of 'transfer' students graduate 4yr programs, vs less than 40% of 'direct from HS' students)) Good selection of jr colleges in OR too, a couple are pretty close to LO

good luck, pretty ez choice if you come and spend a few days in each, commute during the rush hr, and join into some community activities, and shop at the local stores, you will get a feel for which one will be best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area