U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2006, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,501 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out areas from Tacoma to Portland. I like the idea of outlying areas close to larger cities. Lacey or Yelm for Olympia and Battle Ground or Camas for Vancouver.
Can anyone tell me about any weather differences in these two areas. What about home prices. I want to live a little out in the country with a short commute to city center or suburb businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 24,288 times
check out the discussion under lake oswego vs. camas for more about camas. if the metro area you want to be near is portland, i'd pick camas over battleground. the commute from battle ground into portland (and back) is a nightmare. camas to portland is much better, especially to the airport (8 minutes)

Old 07-27-2006, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
We live in Lacey, and enjoy it very much. But one factor I would think about would be taxes. Oregon has no sales tax and has an income tax. Washington has a sales tax and no income tax. That suggests buying your big taxable items in Oregon and residing and earning your living in Washington. That favors the Vancouver area.

Just a thought!

The weather might also favor the Vancouver area (a little dryer and slightly warmer) but probably not enough to be a significant factor.

I personally like the smaller towns along the Columbia River east of Vancouver. They have some historic ambiance, and access to riverfront amenities.

This website (City-Data.com) has excellent materal to allow you to compare locations.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 18,501 times
Default Hillsboro, too?

Thanks for the info !! Someone told us that even though Washington has no income tax, that they make up for it in higher property taxes. Any opinions on that?

What's your opinion on Hillsboro, Forest Grove?

Old 08-26-2006, 02:44 AM

63 posts, read 273,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hspjan View Post
Someone told us that even though Washington has no income tax, that they make up for it in higher property taxes.
WA reassesses your property taxes every 4 (I think) years with no cap, but I think that OR has a cap on property taxes...?

Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
olympia and lacey are so overcrowded. Everytime you turn around a new development springs up but traffic is overwhelmed.. what about chehalis?

Old 08-29-2006, 02:37 AM

10 posts, read 41,530 times
Battle Ground used to be a nice little town. It has grown so fast, still growing, that roads can't keep up with the traffic. It's still a nice town but too congested. Camas is a wonderful town and the commute to Portland would be much better. However, the home prices in Camas are much more expensive than Battle Ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area