Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM

29 posts, read 79,183 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Vancouver, but my brother lives in Portland and say its nice there. I plan on moving to WA somewhere in the next year or so, but I'm not sure where yet. I like the idea of living somewhat close to OR for the 0 sales tax, but I also need a place that has great schools, and a lower cost of living ($200-250k avg. cost of homes). Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
The 2 school districts that are great in the Vancouver area is the Hockinson SD (just south of Battle Ground) and Camas (East of Vancouver).

You could find a house in that price range in the general Vancouver area.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:02 PM

I looked at Hockinson and Camas and it seems like home prices are a little high for our budget we'll be starting with. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:16 AM

Well, WA's real estate is overpriced, are you sure you want to buy?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

23 posts, read 41,856 times
My advice would be to research the TWIN CITIES area. This is specifically Centralia and Chehalis. These two cities are located at the midway point between Seattle & Portland. Homes are affordable whether you rent or buy. It takes me about 1 hour to get to Vancouver & Portland from Chehalis and we are about 20 minutes south of Olympia. Olympia is a great city to "hang in" as well. Insofar as the Chehalis schools....they have a great reputation. The price of homes you mentioned are totally within the price range here. I have lived here for 3.5 years and love it. Before moving here I lived in Tacoma, WA, Olympia, WA and British Columbia, Canada.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
My advice would be to research the TWIN CITIES area. This is specifically Centralia and Chehalis. These two cities are located at the midway point between Seattle & Portland. Homes are affordable whether you rent or buy. It takes me about 1 hour to get to Vancouver & Portland from Chehalis and we are about 20 minutes south of Olympia. Olympia is a great city to "hang in" as well. Insofar as the Chehalis schools....they have a great reputation. The price of homes you mentioned are totally within the price range here. I have lived here for 3.5 years and love it. Before moving here I lived in Tacoma, WA, Olympia, WA and British Columbia, Canada.
Thanks I'll check it out. Out of the areas you lived in, which area have you enjoyed most? Are the twin cities suburban type cities?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
One more question Thrice, how's the crime in that area?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Sorry I just thought of another question just as I posted the last one. How is the drive/traffic from Centralia/Chehalis to Portland and to Seattle? Is the speed limit fairly high in that area?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj628 View Post
Is the speed limit fairly high in that area?
Once you go south past Olympia, speed limit goes up to 70mph. But as you get close to towns, the speed will go back to 60mph (then back up once you pass the towns). It remains like that until you get closer to Vancouver, then it's 60mph speed limit. (OR is 50 mph.)

Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
There are some cheap properties in Camas / Vancouver / Hockinson.

You might need to dig a bit.

What is your price range, and what do you want?

I found some really nice stuff last week in the $150 range (needs fixing).

If rural, I would suggest a trashed mobile home on acreage. You can bulldoze and replace with a repo MH, much cheaper than building new.

For in-town, I suggest a multi-family (duplex / 4 plex) Let your renters subsidize your costs and validate your expenses. And later in life, they will be still paying you rent while you are sitting on the beach in Tahiti.

There were a couple real bargain duplexes north of Vancouver, right near I-5. They were ~ $150k, and would easily rent for $800 - $1000 / side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area