Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,456 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! We just got news that my hubbys work is paying to relocate us to Vancouver Wa. So of course I have no idea where to even start looking besides Vancouver. We were looking at Portland Oregon as it is close. We have a 11 month old son of course schools are important as we will be expanding our family in another year. I have read about the city of Portland and don't want to live in the city itself but any cities on the outskirt, same as Vancouver. Just looking for a safer city, town, neighborhood and good schools in the vicinity of Vancouver, around it and around Portland Oregon. Any help and adivce would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I am rambling but excited and nervous about this move. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Of course, everyone is going to discourage you from looking at Portland, OR. If you're going to work in Vancouver, WA you're not going to pay income tax. By virtue of being a OR resident, you will have to pay income tax and the job most likely won't take out the taxes for you.

The 2 great school districts in Vancouver is Hockinson SD (which just a bit NE of Vancouver, next to Battle Ground) and Camas SD (East of Vancouver). Very safe towns. Camas is a beachfront town and got a quaint feel to it. Hockinson is country.

You might have sticker-shock here... but then Maryland might be as expensive to live in as well?

Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Maryland's a fortune in taxes and housing is pricey, my sister lives there, her house is 1800 square feet and they paid more than 500K AFTER the housing crash.

I think you'll like the slower pace out here (unless you're on the Chesapeake). We live in Camas and love it, moved here from the East coast two years ago and hope to never return

Camas has a Moms Club, I joined when we first moved and it was a great way to meet people at first. People here are very friendly and most have been relocated here from somewhere else.

Unless you want to live in Lake Oswego or West Linn for the schools and your husband wants a LONG commute and high taxes, you're going to want to steer clear of the Oregon side.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,456 times
Default Mom's club?

Just curious as to what a Mom's club is? I am a SAHM so sounds like something I would be really interested in as I will be friendless for awhile. I have a almost 1 yr old so I do hope to find play friends for him. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Hopefully I can post this link.
MOMS Club ~ Camas, WA . Playgroups, Support, Parties, Events, Fun!

I'm not a member anymore (my kids are in school now) but it was a great way to first meet people when we moved into town.

Good luck with your move, like I said before we love it here!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,665 times
If you are going to work in Vancouver, there is little to no need to live on the Portland side of things. And other than the far reaches of the county, every part of the county is pretty much within 30 minutes of any other part of the county. If schools are your biggest concern, settle in the Hockinson School District... but my own son is graduating from the Evergreen School District (which is basically East Vancouver, but not the Vancouver School District) but his last two years did his work at Clark Community College. With the running start program he graduates with a AA degree and a High School Diploma simultaneously.

Disclaimer: I'm a realtor here, so I am terribly biased. But I live on 1.5 acres, just this week a horse ran through my property, yet I'm 5 minutes from two Evergreen High Schools and am just 20 minutes from PDX. It's hard to believe sometimes. If you want more specifics, email me to candrews@ziprealty.com

Vancouver Rules! (though, I do love Portland neighborhoods... they rock)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area