Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I kind of share the same feelings as you. I always here people say vancouver is "model of the future" but behind the glitz and glamour there is no substance. Without public support the city could stand of 2 feet. With that said they definitely could progress and become economical.
Public support is what any good city is all about. From listening to friends who lived in Van , they love the city.......but live in the burbs.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Public support is what any good city is all about. From listening to friends who lived in Van , they love the city.......but live in the burbs.
Thats the problem imo. If just becoming a place to visit, not to live. Yes, most major cities along the west coast are more expensive to live in then the surrounding suburbs, but the price of living within the city should be so much that most people have to live far from the urban center imo. Vancouver only caters to tourism and wealth, but has not that middle class family who just wants to live close to the action. But back on topic, public support is great, but the private sector has to be the main job creators in a Major city. Private money should be invest into progressing the city even further, like how Amazon and Vulcan are redeveloping South Lake Union area in downtown Seattle. They have invested billions constructing Office spaces, retail, and condos turning the once industrial area into the next hottest neighborhood in the city.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:38 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Thats the problem imo. If just becoming a place to visit, not to live. Yes, most major cities along the west coast are more expensive to live in then the surrounding suburbs, but the price of living within the city should be so much that most people have to live far from the urban center imo. Vancouver only caters to tourism and wealth, but has not that middle class family who just wants to live close to the action. But back on topic, public support is great, but the private sector has to be the main job creators in a Major city. Private money should be invest into progressing the city even further, like how Amazon and Vulcan are redeveloping South Lake Union area in downtown Seattle. They have invested billions constructing Office spaces, retail, and condos turning the once industrial area into the next hottest neighborhood in the city.
It is private investment that takes on the task of " build it and they will come" Unfortunatly there have been way too many pie eyed investors looking for a profit. These long term projects sometimes loose interest in the corporate world, the city is left to pick up the remains.
It can happen in rural areas also, where little is a lot compared to city living and lifestyle.Where I live in the wilds of Upper Michigan we had a perfict example of the reverse, our now abandoned Sawyer AFB. Was the largest in the world, and over night over 10,000 people lost their jobs and ther housing. The Military had good attentions by leaving a large amount of cash fore the cross over to civilian living and industry.Unfortunatly private interest Took the money and left the remains to crime, drugs, murders, stabings , domestic strife . We now have the center of the worst any big city has to offer, only 20 miles from our Queene city Marquette that has became a shining example of what progressive change with the city working with the people for a better today....and tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
"Vancouver only caters to tourism and wealth, but has not that middle class family who just wants to live close to the action..."

Only tourism and wealth? I'm guessing you mean tourism and the wealthy. Although tourism is important to Vancouver there is more to the economy than that. From Wiki, not my fave source but anyway.

"International commerce and trade is a key sector for Vancouver's economy. The city has Canada's largest port and is one of North America's major gateways for pan-Pacific trade. The Port of Vancouver ranks first in North America in total foreign exports and second on the west coast in total cargo volume. The Port of Vancouver is Canada's largest and most diversified port, trading more than $43 billion in goods with more than 90 trading economies annually. Port activities generate 69,200 jobs in total with $4 billion in gross domestic product and $8.9 billion in economic output.

Vancouver's central area has 60% of the region's office space and is home to headquarters of forest products and mining companies as well as branches of national and international banks, accounting and law firms. In recent years, Vancouver has expanded as a centre for software development and biotechnology, while film studios and the streets provide a backdrop for the developing film industry. Two of the Port of Vancouver's container docks are located in the city. The Fraser river has barge and log traffic serving forestry and other water related industries. Around 1,800 acres (7.3 km2) of industrial land provide an important range of support services, manufacturing and wholesale premises for businesses throughout the city and region."

Also the statement that there is no middle - class is untrue. I live downtown and I'm surrounded by middle-class families.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM

68 posts, read 217,326 times
I love the new condos and the livable downtown, I think what you are trying to ask is will Vancouver ever be a head office city, like Calgary or Toronto. It probably won't be, but the port is important to Canada. Almost all of the trade between Canada and Asia go through Vancouver's port. Vancouver is an important city to Canada, especially Western Canada. If something happened to Vancouver's port, the whole countries economy would screwed.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:55 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCities View Post
It seems like Vancouver isn't a financial capital in Canada like Calgary or Toronto. I think this is because Vancouver focuses on having a livable downtown filled with too many ugly condos rather than on being more of a city for business. I don't think Vancouver makes a big impact economically on Canada. Will it ever become a Business city or international city like Toronto?
Cannacord Capital started in Van. with local boy Peter Brown. When you get kick off the Vancouver Stock EXchange you get exiled to Afghanistan..........I mean CALGARY. NO COMPARISON.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
It seems like Vancouver isn't a financial capital in Canada like Calgary or Toronto. I think this is because Vancouver focuses on having a livable downtown filled with too many ugly condos rather than on being more of a city for business. I don't think Vancouver makes a big impact economically on Canada. Will it ever become a Business city or international city like Toronto?
Have you actually done ANY research on commerce in Vancouver!?
Between Film production, the seaport/west coast trade, tourism and financial services, there's quite a bit of commerce activity in the area:

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/amazon...r-500-toronto/
https://pwp.vpl.ca/siic/industry-pro...ofile-finance/
https://www.ucanwest.ca/blog/educati...-north-america

Old 09-08-2021, 12:43 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,176 times
Quote:
I think Vancouver is very international. Are you jealous of this city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver