U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 AM

748 posts, read 959,549 times

Advertisements

I'd believe it. Van is nothing what people think it is. I lived there for years when I was younger, and got out while I could. It's a fun town to visit for 2-3 days, but even then there isn't much to do.

My advice would be not to move there. In my opinion I prefer the big skies, fresher air and less people around me. My house, yes HOUSE cost me less than $400k. I can drive to work in under 20 min.
Not trying to preach here, but seriously Van is not all that's it is cracked up to be.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM

71 posts, read 48,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Who said summer should be above 30C? You? You're nuts!

I'm from NYC and I know what above 30C summer means. Lots of people hate summer here. This year, It has been above 30C here from May until now every single day! A/Cs on day and night. What kind of summer it is if you don't even want to go out. It's a freaking sauna here, no escape.

I've been in Vancouver from May to end of August this year and absolutely loved summer this year. 20-25C is a perfect weather for a human being. Above 30C, are you kidding?

Give me a break, let's change the topic.
Ideal summer should be hot and dry. NYC has high humidity, so does Vancouver so 30C feels like 35C here. The point I was making though is this. Summer here this year only lasted 6 weeks, 2 of which were crappy. June was 9C and rain mostly. Yesterday (technically still summer) was 12C and rain. So we had 4 weeks of 20C weather with 3 days of 25C (omg the heatwave!). This is not summer, and it's definitely not the best summer on the planet. If you like 12C "summer" days, it's your right, but don't tell me that it's the best summer on the planet.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I WISH it was more like 20' weather here in the summer. Seems we've had our share of 30' plus days this summer, even close to 40' sometimes.

Found last summer to be one of the hottest I've experienced, almost unbearable actually.

Yes, 20' is my kind of temp.
this summer was pathetic. barely adequate, i wouldn't even call it summer. So there were 3 days of "heatwave" (for a Vancouverite a heatwave is above 20C). Summer started on July 3rd this year and ended on August 21st, with 2 weeks of crappy weather in between. For someone who grew up in Vancouver, this may be OK and right up their alley (they are sweating if the temperature is above 15C and 25C is unbearable for them). But on the "planet" scale, this wouldn't even qualify as summer.

There always are ppl who complain when the temperature is above 20C - they can't wait to get their precious ****ty drizzle back. Enjoy it, it's here to stay for the next 10 months.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,939,188 times
Quote:
this summer was pathetic. barely adequate, i wouldn't even call it summer.
I hope you realize that there's not a damned thing anyone can do about the weather, right? You either like it or you don't like it. Either way there's nothing can be accomplished by bitching and complaining about it so why complain about it when all it does is make you sound like am unappreciative malcontent? If it makes you so miserable why stay? Nobody is forcing you to stay. You're entitled to go find another place that suits you and let your place here be taken by somebody else who will appreciate it.

The weather here this year has been PERFECT. It's always perfect. Every year.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,688,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
Ideal summer should be hot and dry. NYC has high humidity, so does Vancouver so 30C feels like 35C here. The point I was making though is this. Summer here this year only lasted 6 weeks, 2 of which were crappy. June was 9C and rain mostly. Yesterday (technically still summer) was 12C and rain. So we had 4 weeks of 20C weather with 3 days of 25C (omg the heatwave!). This is not summer, and it's definitely not the best summer on the planet. If you like 12C "summer" days, it's your right, but don't tell me that it's the best summer on the planet.
Because all your posts regarding ANY aspects of Vancouver are negative, it doesn't add any credibility to them. Therefore, I have neither the time nor the inclination for further discussion. Cheers.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Because all your posts regarding ANY aspects of Vancouver are negative, it doesn't add any credibility to them. Therefore, I have neither the time nor the inclination for further discussion. Cheers.

not at all. I recognize that this city is beautiful, but that's about it. It's expensive, has poor weather (but no snow, so I guess that's good if you hate snow), with lots of homeless people. The positives: pretty mountains, no snow, and safe place to be.

A mecca it ain't though. And it's certainly not what it's presented to be.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I hope you realize that there's not a damned thing anyone can do about the weather, right? You either like it or you don't like it. Either way there's nothing can be accomplished by bitching and complaining about it so why complain about it when all it does is make you sound like am unappreciative malcontent? If it makes you so miserable why stay? Nobody is forcing you to stay. You're entitled to go find another place that suits you and let your place here be taken by somebody else who will appreciate it.

The weather here this year has been PERFECT. It's always perfect. Every year.

I am allowed to express my opinion on the public board. Someone was commenting how Vancouver summers are the best on the planet, so I responded to that. You don't like my opinion, don't read it.
Again, if 12C summer days are your idea of perfect I am happy for you, but please don't mislead people from other places that summer here is perfect, because for most people perfect summer is above 17C and they will be harshly disappointed when they come here. They will be equally disappointed at not being able to use inflatable rubber mattress at the beach or not being able to get a drink after midnight.

I am mostly fed up at how Vancouver is advertised as the best place to be and no one talks about the negatives (which are plentiful - as in every place, may I add). So the weather is one of these negatives. Another one - high cost of living and stupid bylaws. If you get off your "vancouver admiring" tower and look at this city for what it is, you would know what I mean.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,937 times
Hi guys.VANCOUVER is very bad city.These is very boring city.Van is chinese city.If you are asian ,this city is for you.Chinese own Van.Low payed jobs and so on.Even is hard to get a job like truck driver.East indian people own and control this business.Dont waiste you time.It is still wild west.Go to Toronto.More close to EUROPE(East cost) better.TORONO is TORONO.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 AM

748 posts, read 959,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
not at all. I recognize that this city is beautiful, but that's about it. It's expensive, has poor weather (but no snow, so I guess that's good if you hate snow), with lots of homeless people. The positives: pretty mountains, no snow, and safe place to be.

A mecca it ain't though. And it's certainly not what it's presented to be.

Agreed, which is why I moved away years ago - it just isn't worth it IMO. The city really feels like more of a big resort, with three types of people: immigrants, the rich, and those there to serve the rich. Weather wise its pretty disgusting, with rain, rain rain then into summer with the humidity.
Good place to visit yes, or a good place to buy a retirement condo and visit it once every 3 months.
I moved on myself.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:06 AM

4,859 posts, read 5,219,972 times
"Vancouver one of the best cities in Canada according to MANY more people than Moneysense."

Its so expensive because it so desirable to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver