U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,459 times
Default Moving to Vancouver, couple with baby on the way.

Hi,

My husband and I have a baby on the way, I'm 6 months away from delivery and we will need to move in by Sept. 1 , since he will be starting his new job sometime then. The location of his job is still unsure but will be in the city.

We're open to where we should live, and we're looking for at least a one bedroom apartment. Since we'll be parents soon, I want to live in a safe yet reasonable area. But I have concerns about the safety, noise level and over crowding issues in the city. I would definitely want easy access to walking areas and other conveniences. We'll have a car and since our budget is tight ($1000-1200) I know there will have to be compromises somewhere.

If anyone had suggestions of areas just outside the city but which still might be reasonably convenient, please advice.

Thanks for the help.

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM

We would prefer living within the city itself. I have found several apartments in the city which are within our budget or around it, but I'm unsure about the neighborhoods. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM

1,018 posts, read 2,570,027 times
Live_life18, any ideas when your husband might find out whereabouts in the city he'll be working? .. it would sure help in trying to locate where you may wish to live.

The downtown core has three bridges connecting to the rest of metro Vancouver, and two others in the opposite direction, connecting to the north shore. Commuting from the north shore to downtown can be a real hassel for example.

Also, have many more bridges stemming from metro Van to outlying suburbs .. lots of traffic congestion especially, when it comes to having to cross a bridge anywhere .. why it would be so helpful if you had any indication of where your husband might be working.

There are so many different neighbourhoods, that it's a little difficult to know where to steer you towards.

Being in the city is noisy and congested. The burbs are quieter, but also a hassel with traffic and commuting. Also a little cheaper, the further out you go. but if you live say an hour out, probably find you wouldn't drive into the city that often as you'd proably hang around the area you live in more.

The north shore is another option, North Vancouver being less expensive to rent than West Vancouver. Depends on the commute thing though, as both bridges are heavily congested. There are buses and a sea bus which goes from the downtown core to the north shore.

The north shore has the mountains and forests, quieter in my opinion and more spacious. Doesn't have the 'city' feel to it so much.

Vancouver is made up of many different municipalities, each actually with it's own kind of 'small town' feel to it, unless somewhere like the West End which is heavily congested and makes up the downtown core. So in most neighbourhoods, you'll find noisier and quieter areas.

Perhaps if you wished to post the areas of apts you're considering within your budget in the city, it would be easier to comment on the pros and cons.

By the way, Sept happens to be a perfect time of year here, gorgeous sunny days with a nice breeze and not too hot. perfect for a mother-to-be.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Hi Stone- ground,

Thanks so much for the reply... We just found out today that, he will be most probably working in Surrey. I wanted to know what kind of an area that was... and within that city which would be a good area. Though I want to live in a quieter area, I would definitely want to be connected to the city. How is the commute from surrey to the city? And also we'll be looking for apartments or condos to rent. Our budget is upto $1500 which include sum utilities preferably but this is still flexible as long as the place is worth it.

I'm super excited, though I'm originally from the US- washington D.C area, I've studied in Ontario, Canada, and have always wanted to visit Vancouver. And as life has it, I'll be living there soon!!

Thanks for the heads up about the weather... I'll surely be making the most of it

Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 PM

125 posts, read 307,276 times
surrey would be a very good city for you and your new family.

surrey is a fast growing suburb, with plenty of quiet neighborhoods to raise families.

other than, say, the Gateway neighborhood/skytrain station, i can't think of a neighborhood that wouldn't fit your requirements.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Great news that you have an idea of where your husband will be working lifve_life18 .. helps a lot!

Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgable once we leave the city for the outlying areas, Surrey being one that I'm probably most unfamiliar with.

It is an easy commute into Vancouver from there though, should you wish to come and go. Sounds like Surrey is the fastest growing city in BC according to this website

City of Surrey - Homepage

and 400 parks! .. who knew?

Not trying to scare you or burst your balloon, but sure you'll hear sooner or later anyway. Surrey used to have a reputation of sorts, and knowing next to nothing about the place, not sure how things stand today.

North Surrey and the Whalley area are two place you may wish to avoid, as there are more druggies and crime in those areas.

South Surrey is where I'd be looking to live and sure that you won't have trouble trying to find something to rent within your budget, perhaps even a little cheaper if you're lucky.

I'm pretty sure things have changed a lot in the last ten or fifteen years and Surrey is becoming much more popular and sounds like it's a pretty good place to live, close to the city and all. I think many young families are living in Surrey and sure you can find a nice, quiet neighbourhood without too much trouble.

Very close proximity to Surrey, or South Surrey shall we say , is White Rock .. a very small, cute beach 'town' type place, but probably more congested (especially in the summer) and much more expensive.

And just a little further out is Langley, a fairly small 'town centre' with a fairly large residential living space spread around .. lots of trees, etc .. more like country living for sure. Another place I'm not too familiar with, but anyone that lives there sure seem to like it.

Back to Surrey though, you'll probably find it one of the more reasonable places to live, rent-wise and all.

Hopefully someone who knows the place better than I will jump in and offer up some better info.

Good luck with your move and hope you find a great place to call home.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks stone- ground for all the information, u've been very helpful!!! I'll surely be doing my side of the research.. and either way I'm looking forward to the move.

Take care!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 PM

8,784 posts, read 4,375,535 times
If your husband is working in Surry and you want to be as close as possible to Downtown Van then look at Burnaby. My son has a nice 3 bedroom flat there and it's 1100 a month. I took the skytrain downtown in like 20 minutes or so.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Helpful information lucknow.

We were driving around Burnaby the other day, scoping out a couple of different job sites, and I was quite impressed with some of the nice neighbourhoods we passed through.

Again, not real familiar with Burnaby either. Quite surprised to see some of the older sections with older-type houses and HUGE yards, half an acre or more in certain parts. The way it used to be I guess. Burnaby is an older, more established area so lots of nice yards with lovely gardens.

Lots of neighbourhoods all over the place that look like they'd be nice and quiet and good areas to live in.

Not being familiar with Surrey, especially the growth of the last twenty years, personally would rather live in Burnaby than Surrey for proximity more than anything. I'm sure there are some really nice areas to live in Surrey also, but if you're wishing to live closer into the city, then Burnaby might be more to your liking.

I find that if you live an hour outside the city, you tend not to come in as much as you think you would. Surrey being it's own city, probably tend to hang out there instead.

As lucknow mentioned, rents tend to be more reasonable than say anything closer to the heart of the city, probably pretty much par with what you'd find in Surrey. and certainly an easy commute for your husband, as well as an easy commute into the downtown area, beaches, Stanley Park, etc.

In my opinion, one would tend to hang out more in Vancouver while living in Bby than say living out in Surrey as it's pretty much situated in the middle of Vancouver core and Surrey.

Now that we've given you more info to digest and confuse you a little more ..

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,355 times
My wife and I live in Atlanta, US but we want to move to Vancouver, BC by the end of September 2010 to finish our school. The school is located in downtown, Vancouver.
Actually we don't have any idea about the city. We want to rent an apartment somewhere safe and family area but not far from the city (maximum 30 minutes driving!).

Please keep me informed if you know any area or subdivision with rental apartments less that $1000 per month.

Thank you guys,
Afshin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver