Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

I drove and walked down this particular road for the first time in a few years, and the changes were very impressive. There are - at the least - dozens of new restaurants, and the proto-malls of years past have fleshed out into full-fledged shopping plazas with dozens of stores and venues.

Many of them are oriented toward the Cantonese-speaking market, but others certainly seem welcome.

I notice that some downtowners or non-Richmonders seem unaware of the scale of development along that stretch of road, and figure that Commercial Drive or downtown's Chinatown offer basically the same experience.

In years past, that may have been true. But No. 3 Road has really managed to create "its own weather," as it were. It feels more suburban than most of Vancouver, but if you haven't visited in a few years, you might be surprised at its development.

It's probably unique in North America in terms of the size and spectrum of East Asian cuisine and retail it now offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
In the past 4 years or so I've been going up there, I've seen TREMENDOUS changes. (Not the least of which is the skytrain...I can say that I saw 3 Road WAY back when you could see from one side to the other without the concrete obstruction. .)

When I am up there, I spend the bulk of my time in Richmond. There certainly isn't a lack of things to do, see and eat there.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default for Canadians, perhaps a little overwhelming

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I drove and walked down this particular road for the first time in a few years, and the changes were very impressive. There are - at the least - dozens of new restaurants, and the proto-malls of years past have fleshed out into full-fledged shopping plazas with dozens of stores and venues.

Many of them are oriented toward the Cantonese-speaking market, but others certainly seem welcome.

I notice that some downtowners or non-Richmonders seem unaware of the scale of development along that stretch of road, and figure that Commercial Drive or downtown's Chinatown offer basically the same experience.

In years past, that may have been true. But No. 3 Road has really managed to create "its own weather," as it were. It feels more suburban than most of Vancouver, but if you haven't visited in a few years, you might be surprised at its development.

It's probably unique in North America in terms of the size and spectrum of East Asian cuisine and retail it now offers.
It has that "American City" look choked with retail, but with the Millenium Line now going right to #3 Roads' main mall I can walk to my favourite night market and/or aquarium shops. I agree that it's completely different than Chinatown, which is more historic and Cantonese than the new Mandarin in Richmond.
And EVERYONE drives their car in Richmond whether they need to or not, which makes the corner of New Westminster Highway and 3# Road a disaster area or driving challenge depending on how you look at it. And I drove in Los Angeles.
Richmond has always been for the new, moneyed Chinese arrivals, including several on the run from international warrants. If you're back, pick up a copy of the New Asia Post, based in Richmond. It's about the only newspaper I read any more.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM

163 posts, read 628,531 times
i've visited stores along No3 road on a regular basis, but i never drive on that street. worst street ever. traffic lights every 100 feet and retarded traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver