U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM

168 posts, read 226,128 times

Advertisements

Does COSTCO Warehouse on Expo Blvd sell bottled wine?
We'll be cruising out of CANADA PLACE and want to make a wine purchase to take onto the ship instead of packing in luggage! COSTCO Warehouses here in Texas sell bottled wine, wondering if that was true for Vancouver COSTCO?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,175,835 times
Take the wine with you from Texas. It is much cheaper in the U.S.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM

9,361 posts, read 13,064,605 times
No Costco in Canada does not sell wine or Beer or any spirits above .05% alcohol by volume... they do sell wine making kits.. but that is not what you are looking for..

Your best bet and best choice of local wine and beer is you will have to go buy it from a B.C. Govronment run Liquor store... here is a link to nearby locations and what they have in stock..
Home | BC Liquor Stores

anyways Enjoy your Cruise and stop in at Vancouver.. hope that helped on the wine/Booze end of things for you

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM

3,673 posts, read 3,545,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
No Costco in Canada does not sell wine or Beer or any spirits above .05% alcohol by volume... they do sell wine making kits.. but that is not what you are looking for..

Your best bet and best choice of local wine and beer is you will have to go buy it from a B.C. Govronment run Liquor store... here is a link to nearby locations and what they have in stock..
Home | BC Liquor Stores

anyways Enjoy your Cruise and stop in at Vancouver.. hope that helped on the wine/Booze end of things for you
Not Canada wide, must be province specific, they sell beer and wine at my local Costco in Quebec. I know it doesn't change OP's actions, but it's good to know if he's going to hit up other provinces.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 PM

9,361 posts, read 13,064,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not Canada wide, must be province specific, they sell beer and wine at my local Costco in Quebec. I know it doesn't change OP's actions, but it's good to know if he's going to hit up other provinces.
haha my Bad BIMBAM... I should of said in B.C., Canada you need to vist a B.C. Govronment run Liqour store to have the best selection on Wine and booze in Vancouver..

We do have local cold beer and wine stores and pub off-sales but they are not really the place to shop for wine...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Just as an aside, I live in Gatineau, Québec, and the Costco near my house is about 10 minutes from Ottawa (a city of 1 million people, across the border in the province of Ontario, where beer is only sold via a government-sanctioned *expensive* monopoly).

The Gatineau Costco is apparently the number one beer sale location in all of Canada!

The joke among my friends is that if you see someone at the Gatineau Costco with their shopping cart loaded with beer (usually the huge Coors Light 55-can cases), it's a sure bet they'll speaking English. We play the game every time we go and haven't been wrong yet!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,087,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just as an aside, I live in Gatineau, Québec, and the Costco near my house is about 10 minutes from Ottawa (a city of 1 million people, across the border in the province of Ontario, where beer is only sold via a government-sanctioned *expensive* monopoly).

The Gatineau Costco is apparently the number one beer sale location in all of Canada!
Good to know that Qc Costco stores sell beer and bottled wine.
In Alberta, sale of beverage alcohol is carried out by private wine merchants.
I came across a few private wine merchants in Metro Vancouver including one inside the Metrotown Mall in Burnaby, selling BC & Italian wines.
2 Downtown private wine shops:
Buy Wine Online | Vancouver Wine Delivery | Vancouver Wine Stores
Vancouver Liquor Store | Viti Wine and Lager Store, Downtown Vancouver

I wonder if anyone has bought from these stores and how are they, price-wise and quality-wise, when comparing to the provincial government controlled 'BC Liqueur Store'?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,044,682 times
Just like the USA where liquor law is state jurisdiction, in Canada, liquor laws are provincial jurisdiction, so the liquor laws vary from one province to the next.

Therefore, what happens in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, etc. is completely irrelevant to you, as you'll be visiting the western province of British Columbia.

In BC, grocery stores (like Safeway, Costco, etc.) do NOT sell liquor.

If you want to buy wine, beer, spirits, etc. you'll have to go to a liquor store, or a wine store, etc.

The cheapest place to buy liquor in BC is through the BC Liquor Store:
Home | BC Liquor Stores

Some BC Liquor stores have better selection than others. The best store downtown is on Bute and Alberni, although the best store in Vancouver's on Cambie and 39th. There's another BC liquor store in the basement of the Harbour Centre tower on Seymour/Cordova although the selection there's lousy... but it's right around the corner from Canada Place.

There are also specialty beer/wine stores (Everything Wine, Swirl Wine Shop, Liberty Wine, Brewery Creek, etc.) that often have better selections than the BC Liquor Stores, but they're not cheaper, so it's a trade off.

Cold beer wine stores that are attached to pubs/restaurants/hotels are often the priciest, and significantly so.

Just an aside, but coming from Texas (or anywhere in the USA, really) BC is a very, very expensive province when it comes to liquor prices, *especially* wine and even moreso in restaurants (where there's often a 100% markup) - don't be shocked by the taxes, a $10 wine in the USA often sells for $20+ in BC. I wish it weren't the case, but that's the way it currently is.

Note - if you plan to bring wine into Canada, I think you can only bring in 2 regular-sized bottles worth.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,599,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Take the wine with you from Texas. It is much cheaper in the U.S.
You can not bring more than about a litre into the country legally - check this out with customs.

Napunani, be in for a BIG shock when you see the prices, poor to average wine is about $15 a bottle in BC .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver