Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm closing in on a job opportunity in Vancouver and wanted to get some advice on where to live.

I will be moving with my wife, an infant, and 2 dogs.

Job is located in Kitsilano.

I'm trying to get a feel for real estate pricing. Are there townhomes including a small yard (just somewhere to let the dogs out easily, put a BBQ grill, etc) in the 300k price range within 15-20 minutes of Kitsilano?

Am I way off in terms of price? All I've heard is that prices are through the roof.

What are some recommended neighborhoods to live in with a small child, with my job being in Kitsilano?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,224 times
I think you're looking at double that for the areas you're considering.

My recommendation?

Don't buy. Rent for the first year or for at least the first 6 months, and get a taste for the local prices/neighbourhoods. It's much cheaper to rent than it is to drop money on the kind of space you're looking for. And it's hard to get a sense of where you want to live on paper/web. A lot of places that look just perfect on paper are actually kind of dull culturally or might actually be isolating for somebody who just moved here. So I'd say wait here until you find somewhere you all like... but overall I wouldn't be worried, Vancouver and its surrounding suburbs are all good places to raise a family.

Kitsilano is great, but realistically so are any other areas in Vancouver.

Each neighbourhood has its own culture - all of them are good for raising a family, it just depends on what you're seeking and the type of environment.

Some areas like Kerrisdale, Southlands, West Point Grey, and Dunbar are traditional "old money" locations in Vancouver... but they lack the ethnic diversity and cultural vibrancy of somewhere like Mount Pleasant or Commercial Drive. Kitsilano's a nice balance of university students and wealthy young families. It's one of the most sought-after neighbourhoods in Vancouver, so prices will be steep.

In downtown Vancouver, Yaletown is all high end condos... many families live there because all amenities - grocery stores, community centres, parks, playgrounds, waterfront walkways, restaurants, little doggy boutiques, etc. are all within walking distance and you can practically junk the car (as you might in say, Manhattan or San Francisco). But it's a totally different lifestyle...

You could live just outside of Vancouver places like Richmond, North Vancouver, or Burnaby... prices will be cheaper. Places like Steveston (a historic fishing village on the Fraser River) is rather trendy these days and an excellent place to raise a family. It has the conveniences of a village with family-run markets, bakeries, restaurants... plus lots of public parkland, community centres, walking trails, beaches. It would be a 30 minute drive to Kitsilano.

It's still rent to start off with, just to get a sense of the real estate situation. But if you're seriously just wanting to buy... double your budget to be realistic. Then contact a real estate agent that specializes in relocation.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
Very useful info Roby - thank you so much!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Be prepared for sticker shop. Vancouver is very expensive compared to Dallas. Not just housing, but everything is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver