Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 PM

13 posts, read 16,664 times

Advertisements

[quote=Stumbler.;22250158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

Wait.... what? I must have missed this.

Chickens?
Yeah happy Mayor Gregor... and his backyard chickens. That's going to go over well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:56 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,235,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
There is no integration between the different cultures in any North American city or anywhere in the world.

If you find an exception, let me know.

Quote:
There is coexistence, but no integration.

People tend to stick to their own, to people and things they are used to, understand better, and know how to deal with.

It's very obvious (and understandable) in any multicultural city like Vancouver where probably 50% of the population are foreign born. You don't move to a different country and embrace local culture from the day one.

On the other hand, locals don't expect all those newcomers with open hands, either.

I did find the different cultures in many US cities way more integrated than what I experienced in Vancouver....not even close....it is immediately evident pretty much to anyone....granted, I'm not saying that people living in the Hamptons mingle regularly with recently arrived African refugees....

It was shocking to me, for example, to meet Asians and Indians that arrived in the US to attend college, so not born and raised here, speaking with an almost perfect American accent after not many years and perfectly integrated.

Integration in the US is dictated much more by professional/skill level (and income) rather than race itself.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Hmmm, besides a better view and less snow, what does Vancouver have on Toronto?
You kidding?? What they have on Toronto?? Lousy job prospects, impossible cost of living, a joke of an arts and entertainment scene, crappy road system....lots to be proud of....

Quote:
in a city that is often viewed as a model of city planning and urban design across the world

Boom...across the world!!!...These are the sensationalist statements that tend to overinflate Vancouver ego... Let's lay down the bong!

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-15-2015 at 02:12 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,632,292 times
For a simple reason: 30% of the city is from South Asia.
It is like Brampton in the GTA.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:56 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,632,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont know. Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, and im sure it is great. However, it doesnt stand out, say like NYC, to me. It seems like Chicago in Canada. Toronto could be a great city, but nothing I know about really makes it seem interesting.

Vancouver on the other hand is by the ocean, surrounded by mountains and forest. Very urban and dense. It just seems like an awesome place and a city I would enjoy. Im sure I would have blast in Toronto to, and would love to go someday, but it just doesnt have as much appeal to me as Vancouver. Perhaps Vancouver is better at hyping itself?

The reason I want to go to Quebec/Montreal is the unique French-Canadian culture. They seem like truly unique places, are some of the oldest cities in North America outside of Mexico, and have unique European architecture.
Of course Toronto is more like a Chicago than a NYC, but Vancouver is more like a Portland than a Seattle.
Do you think people in Chicago give a damn about what Portlanders think of them?

yeah, for the millionth time, mountains, oceans. You forgot sushi!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:56 PM

81 posts, read 154,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course Toronto is more like a Chicago than a NYC, but Vancouver is more like a Portland than a Seattle.
Do you think people in Chicago give a damn about what Portlanders think of them?

yeah, for the millionth time, mountains, oceans. You forgot sushi!
Vancouver is what it is. A small Pacific Northwest City with great outdoor opportunities. Obviously that doesn't your float but for many people it's paradise. To each his own

Old 01-17-2015, 05:00 PM

81 posts, read 154,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You kidding?? What they have on Toronto?? Lousy job prospects, impossible cost of living, a joke of an arts and entertainment scene, crappy road system....lots to be proud of....
Speak for your own profession & salary, not everyone works in the IT industry. *gasp* As a dentist I've never struggled in this city and I'm hardly by myself in that respect.

Yes, the cost of living is very unreasonable for most but is it impossible? There's plenty of financially successful people that choose to call Vancouver home over other North American cities. All those West Vancouver/Kitsilano/Shaughnessy homes?...yeah sorry to break it to you but people actually live in them and they're not all foreign immigrants.

But hey, I understand where you're coming from and if I worked in your field as well I wouldn't be in Vancouver either. I'd be out in San Francisco or Boston (both of which I gave up for Vancouver)

Old 01-18-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
Speak for your own profession & salary, not everyone works in the IT industry. *gasp* As a dentist I've never struggled in this city and I'm hardly by myself in that respect.

Yes, the cost of living is very unreasonable for most but is it impossible? There's plenty of financially successful people that choose to call Vancouver home over other North American cities. All those West Vancouver/Kitsilano/Shaughnessy homes?...yeah sorry to break it to you but people actually live in them and they're not all foreign immigrants.

But hey, I understand where you're coming from and if I worked in your field as well I wouldn't be in Vancouver either. I'd be out in San Francisco or Boston (both of which I gave up for Vancouver)
Not everybody is a dentist either.....the medical profession usually brings a good standard of living everywhere in North America.

I never said that everybody struggle in Vancouver (it is an impossibility)...but it is hardly a hotspot for great professional careers considering its cost of living.......yes you can make good money as I did myself (at a time int he past where the COL was more reasonable)

Interesting you mention West Vancouver and Kits....there are also people living in there since very long time that could not afford anymore to buy their properties at present time based on their income....Obviously this does not happen only in Vancouver but it is something to think about as well....

Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,151,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not everybody is a dentist either.....the medical profession usually brings a good standard of living everywhere in North America.

I never said that everybody struggle in Vancouver (it is an impossibility)...but it is hardly a hotspot for great professional careers considering its cost of living.......yes you can make good money as I did myself (at a time int he past where the COL was more reasonable)

Interesting you mention West Vancouver and Kits....there are also people living in there since very long time that could not afford anymore to buy their properties at present time based on their income....Obviously this does not happen only in Vancouver but it is something to think about as well....
If you take a casual scan at his posting history, Saturno just really dislikes/hates Vancouver, and Canada in general, and would use every opportunity to use greener patch in America to slam Vancouver/Canada (America is mentioned in almost everyone of his past posts, even though they are strictly on Canada-related threads). Not exactly sure where all this Canada-disdain ranting is coming from, considering that he proclaimed that he had decided to ditch Vancouver years ago to sunnier/greener patch in Seattle. Almost as if he had the most traumatic experience of his life in such a third world hell-hole as Vancouver (gasp) and could never get over that trauma for rest of his life.

To be fair, Saturno does provide lots of valuable input from time to time, especially on his experiences in America and how it vastly contrasts (in his view) against Canada. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 01-19-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If you take a casual scan at his posting history, Saturno just really dislikes/hates Vancouver, and Canada in general, and would use every opportunity to use greener patch in America

If you REALLY scan my posting history there is not a single hint of me "hating" or even disliking Vancouver or Canada....nor I said that the US is always a greener pasture....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver