Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,836 times

Advertisements

I'm 16 years old and live in Ottawa. It's a nice place to raise a family, but it is cold, boring, lame, and just an unappealing city for me. I looked into the 3 large Canadian cities (because I have too much free time apparently ) to see what my options were.

Montreal: Beautiful and exciting. Tons of culture and I love visiting there. However, it is rather difficult for an english speaker to find a decent job there and the winters are even worse than in Ottawa.

Toronto: Big city with lots of things to see and do. It's a nice option, but the summers are way too hot & humid.

Vancouver: At last I found the perfect city! Mountains, ocean, warm winters (I would rather have a lot of rain over snow), nice summers, dense downtown, and lots to do. Then I found out how much it cost to live there...

Houses are ridiculously expensive and rent is too. I guess it would be worth it to live next to the ocean and rockies, but still. How could I afford to live there?

I'm still in high school so I have tons of time to make up my mind about what I want to do when I'm older. I am smart though, so I have lot of options.

Journalism was a consideration, but then I found out how hard it is to get a job as a journalist in the next few years.

Accounting or marketing were also ideas. I have a great grade in business class and I'm fairly good at math. Office jobs in those fields pay well enough to live comfortably. Are there lots of jobs in those fields in Vancouver?

I also would be without a car. I would like a car, but they're kinda expensive if you're just starting out and gas isn't getting any cheaper. This also wouldn't matter that much if I live downtown since everything is within walking distance.

So basically this is what I am asking: What could I go to university (or college) for that would get me a job that can support a downtown Vancouver lifestyle? Would a $50,000 dollar salary cut it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM

377 posts, read 1,693,540 times
Would $50K a year cut it? Easily.

I know many Vancouverites who live decent on alot less than that - albeit with sacrifices, such as roommates, no car etc, but easily doable.

That said, don't try raising a family on a salary like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver