Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,377 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Vancouver from Saskatoon for a change of pace but thought it was out of my reach, however after finding plenty of studio and 1 bedroom apartments on online listing in or around my price range I think I can make it work. But first there are some important questioned I need answered.

Firstly, jobs.

I'm young, only my high school diploma and a couple years working at walmart to my name. That being said I'm only looking for a minimum wage job. All the stuff I've read online about how hard it is to find a job seems to be directed to professionals of one stripe or another. So if I showed up in Vancouver with enough money to last me two months what would be my chances of getting a job before I run out of money be?

One small addendum to that question. What are starting wages usually like? My first job here they started me off above minimum wage on my first day. Is that likely to happen there?

Secondly taxes.

I've only ever worked part time so I have no idea what taxes are on full time work, even here, so I have no hope of even estimating what they would be in Vancouver. Minimum wage is $9.50 an hour, at 40 hours a week for 4 weeks that $1520 a month. Not a lot, but I think I could easily live on that, problem is I have no idea how much taxes will take off. It makes a huge difference if I'll lose $100 or $400 dollars a month to taxes, and that could easily make this move impossible.

Thirdly is just a group of small miscellaneous questions.

Are there any bad neighborhoods I should avoid getting an apartment in?

How many months would biking to work be unfeasible?

How much is a monthly bus pass?

How much would electricity cost for a month in a studio or 1 bedroom apartment? (Please specify which one you are living in)

Are there any costs I might be overlooking?

Is there anything you think I should know about Vancouver before I consider moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perphekt View Post
I'm considering moving to Vancouver from Saskatoon for a change of pace but thought it was out of my reach, however after finding plenty of studio and 1 bedroom apartments on online listing in or around my price range I think I can make it work. But first there are some important questioned I need answered.

Firstly, jobs.

I'm young, only my high school diploma and a couple years working at walmart to my name. That being said I'm only looking for a minimum wage job. All the stuff I've read online about how hard it is to find a job seems to be directed to professionals of one stripe or another. So if I showed up in Vancouver with enough money to last me two months what would be my chances of getting a job before I run out of money be?

One small addendum to that question. What are starting wages usually like? My first job here they started me off above minimum wage on my first day. Is that likely to happen there?

Secondly taxes.

I've only ever worked part time so I have no idea what taxes are on full time work, even here, so I have no hope of even estimating what they would be in Vancouver. Minimum wage is $9.50 an hour, at 40 hours a week for 4 weeks that $1520 a month. Not a lot, but I think I could easily live on that, problem is I have no idea how much taxes will take off. It makes a huge difference if I'll lose $100 or $400 dollars a month to taxes, and that could easily make this move impossible.

Thirdly is just a group of small miscellaneous questions.

How much would electricity cost for a month in a studio or 1 bedroom apartment? (Please specify which one you are living in)

Is there anything you think I should know about Vancouver before I consider moving?
Hi Perphekt,

If you are full-time looking for a job, it should not be difficult to land a minimum wage job within a month's time, but nothing is a guarantee and there is an inherent risk to moving here and only having enough to pay for two month's worth of expenses.

The minimum wage here was recently raised to $9.50, and will be raised again in May, 2012 to $10.25. I'm not sure how likely you will be paid above minimum wage to start though, since not too long ago the minimum wage was a mere $8.00, and employers are still feeling a bit butthurt from the new experience of having to pay people a decent wage.

I'm not exactly sure how much will be taken off your paycheck in taxes, but I gather working full-time, $60 - $150 will be deducted from your paycheck each month, albeit only in the short term (which I understand can be crucial when you're living paycheck to paycheck...), since you get your taxes refunded on your next tax return if you fall into a certain income bracket.

A common answer would be the Downtown Eastside due to population of drug-users and transients who live there, but it's not an neighbourhood that particularly scares me, since I have volunteered with and have a fondness for the poor and the communities they live in. Another place (more a suburban city) people commonly do not recommend living in is Surrey. However, that is largely because it still maintains a reputation that is over a decade past being relevant anymore, since the Surrey Central area has seen massive gentrification efforts, with high rise condos going up in the neighbourhood, coupled with the existence of the relatively new (and shiny) SFU Surrey campus, Central City Mall, and a still-being-built central library.

If you value your money, don't bother looking in Downtown (with some older West End apartments being an exception), Kitsilano, or anywhere west of there, unless you luck upon a small basement suite a kind landlord is renting to UBC students. I suggest looking on craigslist for places to rent, as well as on padmapper Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

I would in general recommend somewhere in East Van; the people are nice, there's a sense of community, and most places are reasonably affordable, although the places along Commercial Drive and South of Main are slowly becoming gentrified and expensive (I still love those areas though!)

It all depends on how far you're willing to bike, and whether rainy days would bother you enough to be considered not an option. It rains, a whooole lot in Vancouver, but throwing on a poncho on most days will keep you dry into your workplace. Summer months are typically dry however, and you can expect to be able to bike comfortably 9 months of the year, the other 3 months occupied by days you really don't feel like biking in the rain, or when it snows really hard (even though it rarely snows 'hard' in Vancouver). Thankfully, Vancouver is a very bike friendly place, and I know friends who would bike across the entirety of Vancouver just for the fun of it. Thankfully, for those rainy days you don't feel like biking, transit is convenient and connects most communities throughout Vancouver.

If you're working and living in Vancouver, and don't plan to really leave Vancouver proper much, a 1-zone month pass will cost you $81. Similarly, if you're living and working in the same city (ex. all within the boundaries of say, Burnaby), you will only need a 1-zone pass, but if you consistently work and live in two different zones, a 2-zone or sometimes even 3-zone pass would be more practical and cost you $110 and $151 respectively. Refer to this to see how many zones you will have to cross/travel within once you know where you want to live and work Fare Zone Map

My rent covers all utilities, so I wouldn't know Typically not more than $100 in most basement suites/studios/apartments

The cost of your sanity, from all the rain Just kidding... It's really not alll that bad~ The cost of family and friends? Moving expenses, if any, and the fact that you have to establish residency in BC for 3 months until MSP medical coverage kicks in for you. So uh... try to avoid getting into drunken brawls, passing out on the street with stab wounds all over, sharing drinks with people you don't know, eating mall sushi or sushi prepared by hipsters (the Eatery, I'm looking at you...), or getting impregnated by space aliens...

It rains a whole lot, but it can be beautiful even when it does~ There are also lots of public parks, so don't be afraid to take a mental break once in awhile. It's OKAY to not give homeless people change in Vancouver (especially when you're working for minimum wage...). There is a large Asian population here, so if for sooooome reason that you don't like seeing Asian people walking around willy nilly, Vancouver's probably not the best place to move to. Also if you haven't realized by now, there is also a visible homeless population in Vancouver (mostly centered around the Downtown Eastside), a rather unfortunate social reality, and their visibility may bother some people, although I have not heard of a single person moving out of Vancouver because of it. Additionally for the most part, Vancouver is very diverse city of people who largely like to stay active and fit, and are socially progressive. As such, there are large gay communities centred around Davie Village in the West End, and along Commercial Drive in East Van.

PS If you see a Jewish boy together with an Asian girl, give this dorky couple a wave

Best of luck with your move!

Tara

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
You already got a lot of information in the previous response.

I will throw in one idea.. Walmart may have options to transfer to a store where you are headed.

A lot of info on the web if you search for "Walmart job transfer". One I found that is a guide. How to Put in a Transfer to Another Walmart Store | eHow.com

This would have some great advantages. You get a job right off the bat. You know the work as it can't be all that different than what you do now. It lets you relax and look around for other jobs if that's what you want without worrying about running out of your stash of money .

Last edited by marc3565; 03-02-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
I have a studio and electricity costs me 30 dollars a month. I have a fridge, computer, microwave and electric stove/oven. No TV, 70% of my bulbs are energy efficient bulbs, hot water heater included in my rent that isn't powered by the electricity I pay for. One thing you should keep in mind is that in BC, you have to pay the government monthly fees of about 60$ for medical coverage, something that came as a shock to my budget when I came here as I assumed health care would be free like in my home province. Internet is also a bit pricey, about 90$ a month!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I have a studio and electricity costs me 30 dollars a month. I have a fridge, computer, microwave and electric stove/oven. No TV, 70% of my bulbs are energy efficient bulbs, hot water heater included in my rent that isn't powered by the electricity I pay for. One thing you should keep in mind is that in BC, you have to pay the government monthly fees of about 60$ for medical coverage, something that came as a shock to my budget when I came here as I assumed health care would be free like in my home province. Internet is also a bit pricey, about 90$ a month!
It's free if you fall below a certain income bracket. If you do and you're still being charged that, you should be able to get your money back once you submit a tax return and they do a proper assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver