Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM

216 posts, read 448,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
we don't hate Toronto...we laugh at it.

We hate Vancouver.
The city-hate really gets to me. There are places I don't particularly care for (such as T.O.) but i don't understand the trivial hatred.
I will never set foot in Ontario, but I don't hate it. Who gives a sh)t? I live here and some people live there. What do I care what they do with their lives or what they're like?
I moved back to B.C. after living in Alberta for ten years and people treat me like dogsh*t. I always knew there was a severe dislike of Vancouverites from Calgarians but the reverse is worse.
I now just shut up about ever having lived in Alberta because I just can't stand the B.S. out of peoples mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
The city-hate really gets to me. There are places I don't particularly care for (such as T.O.) but i don't understand the trivial hatred.
I will never set foot in Ontario, but I don't hate it. Who gives a sh)t? I live here and some people live there. What do I care what they do with their lives or what they're like?
I moved back to B.C. after living in Alberta for ten years and people treat me like dogsh*t. I always knew there was a severe dislike of Vancouverites from Calgarians but the reverse is worse.
I now just shut up about ever having lived in Alberta because I just can't stand the B.S. out of peoples mouths.
I'm curious, how do you know you "don't particularly care for" a place that you haven't set foot in?

I'll admit, I had some pre-conceived ideas about Toronto for years. Had no interest in visiting - but begrudgingly came in 2006 for a family wedding. Long story short, I loved it and now live here.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 27,364 times
I live on Vancouver Island, and I am seriously thinking about moving back to Ontario because I'm tired of being unemployed. For the past 3 months, I have been pounding the pavement, and have a third or fourth interview this coming Monday---where the pay is $11 an hour! That will not even cover my rent, but I can't be choosy around here so I'll probably take it while I start looking for work in Ontario. The job market is terrible in BC! Sure the scenery is beautiful out here, but I'd rather make a decent salary in a "drab" city than live like a hippie and expect to live off of handouts.

Oh, and those who think that Vancouver has better weather? No it doesn't. I would rather have snow than rain. And I actually find it just as cold here because it's a damp cold that goes right to the bones. To make matters worse, it still remains chilly in the summers. Give me stinky hot summers with smog (and I believe they're working on that since they're proactive unlike the lazy people out here that don't take any action on the sewage piled in the ocean).

Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM

630 posts, read 994,535 times
I guess because Vancouver has a much better downtown and the city is much more vigorating. It feels so much more cosmopolitan and international than mellow Toronto, which has improved alot since the 1980's but got ways to go.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
^ Sorry, but I think you got the two cities mixed up. Toronto is the more cosmopolitan and international city with the much bigger and more bustling downtown and Vancouver is the "mellow" one of the two. How do you come up with these totally off-base conclusions?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I don't HATE Vancouver, but what I do hate is how people from BC treat Albertans. They seem to think they are above Albertans and they don't need "dirty oilberta" .Yet so many of them come to Alberta for JOBs.
The new AB license plate is blue and white. It's going to get worse as BC is anti everything and is about to vote in the NDP.

"last one to leave BC turn out the lights".......

I haven't set foot in BC in 10 years and never will again.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 AM

393 posts, read 598,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katluver View Post
I live on Vancouver Island, and I am seriously thinking about moving back to Ontario because I'm tired of being unemployed. For the past 3 months, I have been pounding the pavement, and have a third or fourth interview this coming Monday---where the pay is $11 an hour! That will not even cover my rent, but I can't be choosy around here so I'll probably take it while I start looking for work in Ontario. The job market is terrible in BC! Sure the scenery is beautiful out here, but I'd rather make a decent salary in a "drab" city than live like a hippie and expect to live off of handouts.

Oh, and those who think that Vancouver has better weather? No it doesn't. I would rather have snow than rain. And I actually find it just as cold here because it's a damp cold that goes right to the bones. To make matters worse, it still remains chilly in the summers. Give me stinky hot summers with smog (and I believe they're working on that since they're proactive unlike the lazy people out here that don't take any action on the sewage piled in the ocean).
Vancouver Island has always been self-limiting in employment opportunities - it is the very nature of being an island. Vancouver Island has always been laid back. Perhaps you should look into all the coming job opportunities in northern BC? I hear on the news there is great need up there.

Some of us prefer our climate over humid hot conditions - you don't care for it, then by all means move elsewhere. Proactive means doing it right and/or fixing something before it has a chance to become a problem - fixing smog means they are being reactive...and how is that polution problem coming in the Great Lakes anyway.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katluver View Post

You just zero'd in on the biggest reason I moved back to Ontario after a few years out there in the Navy.

The only place that you see the sun through a cold numbing rain EVERY damn day!

The only place they'd use a credit card to buy a coffee.

The only place where a bit of snow causes them to stop the buses, and you don't dare attempt to drive because they have no idea how to navigate in 1" of snow so you're taking your life in your hands just stepping out your front door.

The only place where they tolerate a thriving drug community right in the middle of their perfect paradise.

The only place where you can get ripped off for a so-called "High Tea" lunch of a couple of cucumber sandwiches and tea for over $50 a pop and have to stand in line with a bunch of chinese tourists wearing jean shorts, tube tops and flip-flops at the vaunted Empress Hotel. What a farce!

The west coast has been much too impressed with itself for what it delivers other than the natural scenery it was gifted with, but give them time and they'll even screw that up.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Vancouver Island has always been self-limiting in employment opportunities - it is the very nature of being an island. Vancouver Island has always been laid back. Perhaps you should look into all the coming job opportunities in northern BC? I hear on the news there is great need up there.

Some of us prefer our climate over humid hot conditions - you don't care for it, then by all means move elsewhere. Proactive means doing it right and/or fixing something before it has a chance to become a problem - fixing smog means they are being reactive...and how is that polution problem coming in the Great Lakes anyway.
The southern tip of Vancouver Island is anything BUT laid back. It's the most uptight fake British enclave you could ever imagine outside of the Devons in England.

Great Lakes are a lot better than the raw sewage being pumped into ****e-hawk bay near Esquimalt for decades. You can actually eat the fish you catch in the great lakes now. Oh and by the by, they came by the name of "Great Lakes" for a very valid reason. If you like boating at all; no bothers with the fresh water rinse to get the salt brine off your upper decks. No replacing the exhaust manifolds or through-hull fittings every couple of years.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
I guess because Vancouver has a much better downtown and the city is much more vigorating..
This is not true at all. Downtown Toronto is much more vibrant and international than Vancouver's. Vancouver's is good, and probably punches above its weight in the North American context, but still Toronto is quite a bit ahead as it is far bigger and more diverse also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver