Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,173,366 times

Advertisements

Could I rent a place in say, White Rock or Langley or something like that for a price comparable, or only slightly more than, a similar place on the east side of Portland? The place I am at now, I share with my brother and my sister in law, and we altogether pay about $780 a month for a three-bedroom, but if I'm living alone I wouldn't even mind a studio as long as it had a bathroom and a window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 04:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Perusing over several pages of the Craigslist Vancouver area it looks to be a kinda expensive place to live..

vancouver, BC apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,499,607 times
No, if you rent in surrey or langley or somewhere like tha you can get much better prices than you can in Vancouver. Surrey is probably your best bet, but Maple Ridge and Langley have good deals to, as does Delta.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, if you rent in surrey or langley or somewhere like tha you can get much better prices than you can in Vancouver. Surrey is probably your best bet, but Maple Ridge and Langley have good deals to, as does Delta.
Surrey would be nice, despite the stereotypes. It's a fairly doable commute by transit to downtown as well, so it's not like I could never enjoy big city amenities if I did rent there.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
The Craigslist link covered the whole Vancouver area not just Vancouver proper,
1 bedroom bachelor pad for $800 is doable, but some are really small, i cant imagine living in a place in the 400sq ft range.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Craigslist link covered the whole Vancouver area not just Vancouver proper,
1 bedroom bachelor pad for $800 is doable, but some are really small, i cant imagine living in a place in the 400sq ft range.
That's what, 20 by 20 feet? I suppose that's not too bad. $800 per month, right?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 13,561 times
If you decide get an apartment in Surrey make sure you get a car. Public transit in Surrey is not safe at all. While surrey isn't necessarily Detroit is does have a much higher crime rate than Vancouver and the majority of those crimes happen on public transit. I suggest considering other suburbs like Coquitlam or Richmond if your trying to escape high rents.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,155,327 times
Do you have a job? This would be the place to start in choosing a location. There are many communities around Vancouver, but choosing a place to live based on the rent could land you with a long commute. But, assuming that is not a factor you can definitely get cheaper rents in White Rock or Langley than in Vancouver. Comparing to East Portland, I think generally speaking White Rock is going to be more expensive that what you are paying. A search on a Surrey apartment website for 2 bedroom apartments listed the least expensive ones to start at what you are paying altogether now. Look through the classifieds for 1 bedroom basement suites and you may be able to find something in your price range. Here are some places to look:

Surrey Leader - Surrey/North Delta Leader
www.peaceharchnews.com
Langley Times - Langley Times
Langley Advance
Maple Ridge News - Maple Ridge News
New Westminster News Leader - New Westminster News Leader
The Tri-City News - Tri-City News

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver