Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 AM

7 posts, read 18,881 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I need some help here.
4 years ago my family and I got a Canadian PR and on the same day I got a job offer in USA ( work visa). We decided to go for the job since it was a very good pay plus we have relatives in USA but no one in Canada. Recently we have been thinking of moving to Canada but we can not decide; here is what we think about Canada:
Pros
PR so both of family member can work
better education for our kids
health care
being on a Work Visa in USA makes it harder for us to settle because it does not grantee a permanent stay, and with the bad economy, employers lay people off with no notice. This will not be the case in Canada.

Cons
very expensive comparing to US ( we live across the borders)
Higher tax
it is hard to get a job without Canadian experience even though we both have a bachelor degree ( pharmacy and IT ).

Honestly we are so scared that we move to Canada and become Jobless

Some times I feel it is just the fear from the unknown. I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,839,613 times
Your Canadian PR is probably no good anymore because the card is only valid for 5 years and you must spend at least 2 out of those 5 years in Canada. Since 4 years have already passed, you could only possibly spend 1 out of those 5 years in Canada so the friendly Canadian border guards will probably turn you away at the border when you show up with a moving truck and tell them you plan on living there now, four years after getting the PR status. The idea is that you should have moved there by the end of the 3rd year so that you could meet the residency requirement during the final two years of the card's validity, which would then entitle you to renewal of the card for another five years. I guarantee you the border guards will scrutinize the landing date on your PR card and try to do the math to decide if you can still come in. Your best bet would be to casually arrive with limited baggage and just tell the border guards you are a PR but have been living in the U.S. and you are going for a trip in Canada for a weekend (assuming that is all true - you should never lie to a border guard). You can always have your personal items shipped later or brought in by a relative. Note you may still run into trouble if you leave Canada for a trip and return, as they may ask you 1) when your PR status began, 2) how long you have actually lived in Canada. Better yet, hire a Canadian Immigration Lawyer (NOT an immigration consultant, who is not a lawyer) and ask for legal advice. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, just a recounting of my knowledge and experience.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Your Canadian PR is probably no good anymore because the card is only valid for 5 years and you must spend at least 2 out of those 5 years in Canada. Since 4 years have already passed, you could only possibly spend 1 out of those 5 years in Canada so the friendly Canadian border guards will probably turn you away at the border when you show up with a moving truck and tell them you plan on living there now, four years after getting the PR status. The idea is that you should have moved there by the end of the 3rd year so that you could meet the residency requirement during the final two years of the card's validity, which would then entitle you to renewal of the card for another five years. I guarantee you the border guards will scrutinize the landing date on your PR card and try to do the math to decide if you can still come in. Your best bet would be to casually arrive with limited baggage and just tell the border guards you are a PR but have been living in the U.S. and you are going for a trip in Canada for a weekend (assuming that is all true - you should never lie to a border guard). You can always have your personal items shipped later or brought in by a relative. Note you may still run into trouble if you leave Canada for a trip and return, as they may ask you 1) when your PR status began, 2) how long you have actually lived in Canada. Better yet, hire a Canadian Immigration Lawyer (NOT an immigration consultant, who is not a lawyer) and ask for legal advice. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, just a recounting of my knowledge and experience.
Thank you very much for your advise. So if we go with limited luggage and were able to enter what happens after 1 year then if we should stay for 2? I think we really need to hire a lawyer. But again like I said, our main concern is not finding a job since we do not have any Canadian experience which most of them require.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,468,385 times
Are you working as a pharmacist in the US right now? For the most part, as long as you pass the Canadian professional exams, you don't need Canadian experience so much if you have significant work experience treating patients in the US. Some fields require Canadian experience more then others, and Pharmacy definitely values US experience. How long have you been working as a pharmacist? There's something of a glut of pharmacists in Vancouver, but if you're willing to work elsewhere in the province you can be paid very good money, find a job without too much difficulty, and the cost of living is much lower then it is in the city. I would highly recommend this route if you think your spouse can find work in a town as well, perhaps working remotely? I am familiar with this field as I am a 2nd year pharmacy student.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,848,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp
Your Canadian PR is probably no good anymore because the card is only valid for 5 years and you must spend at least 2 out of those 5 years in Canada. Since 4 years have already passed, you could only possibly spend 1 out of those 5 years in Canada so the friendly Canadian border guards will probably turn you away at the border when you show up with a moving truck and tell them you plan on living there now, four years after getting the PR status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyani View Post
Thank you very much for your advise. So if we go with limited luggage and were able to enter what happens after 1 year then if we should stay for 2? I think we really need to hire a lawyer. But again like I said, our main concern is not finding a job since we do not have any Canadian experience which most of them require.
tarp has given you the correct information. Years ago, the Border services and the Immigration did not share information; but that loophole has been plugged since. You might be lucky to slip through the border without being detected, but will you be lucky a second time at Service Canada Centre to apply for your SIN card?

Despite the current tightened policy, I've heard that some managed to slip in and get their residency cards, and are lying low by not traveling outside Canada. Hmm.. wonder how that will work out eventually?

p.s.
Again "tarp" is right that a competent lawyer is your best bet.

Last edited by dougie86; 09-26-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
tarp has given you the correct information. Years ago, the Border services and the Immigration did not share information; but that loophole has been plugged since. You might be lucky to slip through the border without being detected, but will you be lucky a second time at Service Canada Centre to apply for your SIN card?

Despite the current tightened policy, I've heard that some managed to slip in and get their residency cards, and are lying low by not traveling outside Canada. Hmm.. wonder how that will work out eventually?

p.s.
Again "tarp" is right that a competent lawyer is your best bet.

We already have SIN, Care cards, Canadian drivers license and ID.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Are you working as a pharmacist in the US right now? For the most part, as long as you pass the Canadian professional exams, you don't need Canadian experience so much if you have significant work experience treating patients in the US. Some fields require Canadian experience more then others, and Pharmacy definitely values US experience. How long have you been working as a pharmacist? There's something of a glut of pharmacists in Vancouver, but if you're willing to work elsewhere in the province you can be paid very good money, find a job without too much difficulty, and the cost of living is much lower then it is in the city. I would highly recommend this route if you think your spouse can find work in a town as well, perhaps working remotely? I am familiar with this field as I am a 2nd year pharmacy student.

I have 4 years experience in US and RX manager since 2009 .I am not a US graduate so I will have to go through several exams which will take at least a year . What can I do in a year with no pharmacy license?
what are other areas that might offer a better pay?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,839,613 times
Mostyani, then you're probably in good shape. Still will need a lawyer to work out the kinks in getting PR card renewal without meeting residency requirements. There are a bunch of exceptions to the rule, so you may qualify for one.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Thank you very much guys

Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 25,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyani View Post
Hello all, I need some help here.
4 years ago my family and I got a Canadian PR and on the same day I got a job offer in USA ( work visa). We decided to go for the job since it was a very good pay plus we have relatives in USA but no one in Canada. Recently we have been thinking of moving to Canada but we can not decide; here is what we think about Canada: www.Precision-Painting.net Vancouver house painters professional painting lowermainland
Pros
PR so both of family member can work
better education for our kids
health care
being on a Work Visa in USA makes it harder for us to settle because it does not grantee a permanent stay, and with the bad economy, employers lay people off with no notice. This will not be the case in Canada.

Cons
very expensive comparing to US ( we live across the borders)
Higher tax
it is hard to get a job without Canadian experience even though we both have a bachelor degree ( pharmacy and IT ).

Honestly we are so scared that we move to Canada and become Jobless

Some times I feel it is just the fear from the unknown. I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you.
Honestly no you should... I' am a LONG term and born and raised Canadian... Their is allot of hype how great Canada is and its a wonderful country but NOPE its the worst, In my opinion respectably. I would recommend moving some where far away from here.

-Weather SUCKS
-COLD
-BORING

The list goes on but I'm not in the mood to continue with my rant on how much Canada Sucks.

So to sum it up please don't waste the time being hassled and treated like a terrorist from the apes that call them selves "border patrol".

If your going to move country's you might as well go all out and find some worth LIVING for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver