Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 AM

487 posts, read 893,723 times

Advertisements

It is just pitiful how much cheaper things are across the border (people do seem a bit stupider, though). A Sephore foundation that is $42 in the US is $51 in Canada. Another foundation by Revlon is $10 in US but $25 in Canada. Ben & Jerry's is $4 in US, 7.50 in Canada. Everything is a rip-off in comparison. But I notice US stores keep popping up, like Victoria's Secret, Wal-Mart, and the new Target. Does this mean Vancouver is headed toward increased affordability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times
Canada is more expensive for consumer products because there is less competition, and therefore retailers dare to demand much higher prices, and consumers have the habit of sucking it up.

There are other reasons (smaller economy etc) but lack of competition is the primary reason.

In Canada, get used to the idea of pay more for less; and maybe keep a blind eye on American prices. It is quite different how market economy operates there.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM

377 posts, read 1,691,091 times
Also labour costs and commercial real estate prices are usually higher in most Canadian cities - impacting retailers bottom line.

Yes, it sucks paying more in Canada for most things - but it's not a case of getting gouged by retailers as most people think. The profit margins are no better than they are in the US.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM

326 posts, read 527,200 times
Nodody's going to mention taxes?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,839,252 times
Some things are cheaper in Canada.

Staples like potatoes and rice (large bags of basmati or jasmine) are sold more cheaply at the supermarkets in Canada than I can find in the U.S.

Packs of bottled spring water are way cheaper in Canada sometimes as low as $2 for a 24 pack (Compliments brand at Freshco). At Aldi in the U.S. you will pay closer to $3.50 or $4 for a 24-pack of spring water.

Most of the fresh produce is consistently cheaper at Freshco or Food Basics here in Ontario than in U.S. supermarkets. The prices are even lower here for the most part than at the big Asian markets and the discount produce chains I'm used to back on the east coast.

The discount supermarkets here tend to carry a much better selection of ethnic foods and produce than the ones in the U.S. I think that's because due to the huge diversity in cities like Toronto and Vancouver, the big supermarkets had to adjust to serve the ethnic demographic whereas in the U.S. most of the big players focus on the American audience and the ethnic groups supplement their shopping with locally owned ethnic markets instead.

Anything dairy or poultry is generally more expensive in Canada. However, yogurt and sour cream don't seem overpriced at all. The local stores here sell a couple middle eastern/indian styles of yogurt which often go on sale for $1.99 for a regular sized tub.

Haagen-Dazs is expensive because of the import duty on dairy products.
You can still find it for $4.99 at Wal-Mart.

It's $7.99 at the regular rip-off supermarkets like Loblaws/Zehrs and I am guessing Safeway on the west coast.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,847,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
But I notice US stores keep popping up, like Victoria's Secret, Wal-Mart, and the new Target. Does this mean Vancouver is headed toward increased affordability?
"Affordability" is a misnomer in this context. US chains are moving in to fill the gap of supply and demand. It is how the markets work.
97 stores will be coming to the Vancouver International Airport in 2014.
YVR > Business at YVR > Land Development > Luxury Designer Outlet
For some shoppers, they can shop at Colton's.
Coltons Personal Couture

Quote:
It is just pitiful how much cheaper things are across the border (people do seem a bit stupider, though). A Sephore foundation that is $42 in the US is $51 in Canada. Another foundation by Revlon is $10 in US but $25 in Canada. Ben & Jerry's is $4 in US, 7.50 in Canada. Everything is a rip-off in comparison.
For the rest of us, look out for the weekly flyers and save the coupons. It also makes that occasional trips to the US so much more enjoyable.

Quote:
Rotisserie chicken at Walmart at $4.99 with coupon.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM

487 posts, read 893,723 times
I assumed it was more expensive because of the cross-border transportation and duties, it didn't occur to me that it's lack of competition. If that's the main reason, then the fact more and more US retailers are moving in will increase competition and drive prices down, correct?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

Packs of bottled spring water are way cheaper in Canada sometimes as low as $2 for a 24 pack (Compliments brand at Freshco). At Aldi in the U.S. you will pay closer to $3.50 or $4 for a 24-pack of spring water.

Most of the fresh produce is consistently cheaper at Freshco or Food Basics here in Ontario than in U.S. supermarkets. The prices are even lower here for the most part than at the big Asian markets and the discount produce chains I'm used to back on the east coast.
That's probably untrue. I have seen $2 for a 24 pack, but it is more of a promotion than the normal price. I have seen lower prices for 24 pack water in the US for sure.

For Food Basics etc you have to compare with compare discount stores in the US. I agree prices in Asian markets are quite low here, sometimes even lower than Asia.

Quote:
The discount supermarkets here tend to carry a much better selection of ethnic foods and produce than the ones in the U.S. I think that's because due to the huge diversity in cities like Toronto and Vancouver, the big supermarkets had to adjust to serve the ethnic demographic whereas in the U.S. most of the big players focus on the American audience and the ethnic groups supplement their shopping with locally owned ethnic markets instead.
I agree. Even mainstream stores such as Metro etc some carry ethnic food, which is something you don't see in most American cities.

Quote:
Anything dairy or poultry is generally more expensive in Canada. However, yogurt and sour cream don't seem overpriced at all. The local stores here sell a couple middle eastern/indian styles of yogurt which often go on sale for $1.99 for a regular sized tub.

Dairy is more expensive because the stupid quota on them just to protect exiting dairy farms, just like the taxi business here in Toronto, one of the most expensive in the world, not because the cost is higher, but purely because of artifical entry barrier. Toronto taxis fare more expensive than NYC and at part with London? You gotta be kidding

======================================

In the end, I think the prices don't matter as much as how deep retailers provide promotions/discounts. American retailers often give 60%, 80% off discounts throughout the year, especially when it comes to clothing; and in online shopping, there are so much more selections with lower prices, often free shipping within continental US.

While in Canada, you get like 25% off and think it is a big deal, Or those "buy one get the second 50% off" deals (LOL). Online shopping is like in the primitive society and shipping is always expensive because Canada Post needs to pay fat salaries and has to make profits.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Vancouver/Canada becoming more affordable?-taxi-rates1.jpg  

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM

326 posts, read 527,200 times
Doesn't Vancouver have something like a 13% sales tax plus a VAT tax?

I would think that would absolutely have something to do with prices.

In WA, I think taxes are around 8-9%.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Doesn't Vancouver have something like a 13% sales tax plus a VAT tax?

I would think that would absolutely have something to do with prices.

In WA, I think taxes are around 8-9%.
no, either sales tax or VAT I think, but not both.
Sales tax is hardly the main reason for Canada's higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver