Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be ending a cruise in Vancouver in mid-May. We will arrive on Friday morning and depart Monday morning. My husband loves shops and art galleries, etc. I love nature. As Vancouver is a lot of city - do you think Victoria or another area on Vancouver Island might suit both of our tastes better? Ideas on what to do or where to stay would be nice. My husband is part American Indian and very much into aboriginal art, life, etc. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
I think that you can get everything you want in Vancouver without having to make the trip over to Victoria, which would indeed eat the better part of a day there and another on the way back. Vancouver is a wonderful city in the way it merges the natural world and the built environment and you can get all the nature you'd want in Vancouver and its environs. There's lots of art galleries and shops on Granville Street south of False Creek, and more the same on nearby Granville Island. Yaletown and Gastown should also be able to suit his needs. As for you, I'd check out the glorious Stanley Park and rent bikes for a ride around the Sea Wall. For a more extensive forest to explore, you could bus down to Pacific Spirit Regional Park, about 20-30 minutes West of Downtown, and explore the forest and shore, specifically Spanish Banks, and Wreck Beach if you want to go even further West. You could also bus up to Grouse Mountain and do the Grouse Grind hike all the way to the top and get great views of the city, or you could go to Lynn Canyon and walk on the suspension bridge there.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times
That's great. I am going to check out your ideas!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
My husband and I will be ending a cruise in Vancouver in mid-May. We will arrive on Friday morning and depart Monday morning. My husband loves shops and art galleries, etc. I love nature. As Vancouver is a lot of city - do you think Victoria or another area on Vancouver Island might suit both of our tastes better? Ideas on what to do or where to stay would be nice. My husband is part American Indian and very much into aboriginal art, life, etc. Thanks so much!
You'll have plenty of time to plan your May visit. If you have the time, a 1-day trip to Victoria & Butchart Gardens is definitely worth it. For your information, the First Nations / Indian bands in Vancouver and Victoria are the Coast Salish people.
See Map of BC First Nations (move your cursor at the bottom left of the map)

There interesting places in Vancouver that will take up to half-a-day each to explore, such as:-

The Museum of Anthropology (at the University of British Columbia)
It houses unique collection of artworks by the Coast Salish people that make up the native indian bands in and around the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

The BC Museum of Anthropology - YouTube

Musqueam Through Time - Part 1
Musqueam Through Time - Part 2

Stanley Park (directions)
approximately 1,000 acres with hiking and walking trails, cycling paths, and a scenic drive.

First Nations art and totem poles

Vancouver Aquarium (tickets online available)

Klahowya Village (admission by ticket)
Spirit Catcher Train at Klahowya Village

Highlights from the Klahowya Village in Stanley Park - YouTube

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park (privately owned)
free shuttle service, Oct 01, 2012 - Apr 30, 2013
Some totem poles and first nation artworks are on display near the souvenir shop.

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park - 60 Second Video - YouTube

Be sure to check-in early at the YVR International Airport, when you depart Vancouver.
"Spirit of Haida Gwaii" is located at International Terminal, Depatures Level 3

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
If you do not want a lot of city (Vancouver & Victoria), there are other alternatives on Vancouver Island, such as:-

Parksville
Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort in Parksville, BC

Tofino
Best Western Tin Wis of Vancouver Island, BC
Wickaninnish Inn

Campbell River
Campbell River Fishing Resort - Painter's Lodge, BC

The journey from Vancouver to Tofino by road & ferry is around 7 hours;
Vancouver to Campbell, around 4+ hours; and Vancouver to Parksville, 3+ hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver