Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 20,343 times

Advertisements

Yeah you're right maybe Canada isn't worth it. Guess it's much easier to live in the states I guess I have it made here. I thought the US was bad but man seems everyone makes it impossible for you just to visit you know not all of us are going over to do bad things just a more laid back life that I might seem comfortable being in my own skin. I don't like being mean or rude but people out here give you a reason to be and if you think "Well maybe you should consider being nice to people first." 90% of the time if you say hi to someone out here or try to be friendly they will ignore you, smirk or call you a ****** and 99.9% of those people are African American I've even been spit on by or hit-n-run or tried starting fights with me and I am a regular guy, even people from Africa are nicer. I really want out but forget it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Im an Angeleno who relocated to Van 4yrs ago. And as much as I said I like the colder weather and the rain- it SUCKS!! it rains for 8-10months of the year, its gray and dreary alot, there's not too much of a night life. Canadians are superficial nice, they'll say hi, give you directions, smile, but once you start to build a rapport and think; hey let's go have a drink sometime- its hands up and they cant be bothered! That blew my mind! Also, I agree, if you like this climate, I would recco Seattle as a segway first. You do need a Work Visa for Canada- and an employer to sponsor you. Or you will need to hire an immigration attorney. Visa can take up to 4months- but that's only if an employer is sponsoring you. Vancouver is indeed a very sleepy town, not a big nightlife. Rent & food are uber expensive. Vancouver is in the top 10 places to live in the world, but also in the top5 most expensive cities.
Im heading back to LA next month. It's been a very interesting 4 yrs here, and cant wait to get back to the motherland.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM

163 posts, read 628,531 times
i think homer213 hit it straight up. for someone coming from LA/SoCal, it would be quite an adjustment.

[offtopic]i'm from Toronto, and i even need to get adjusted to the Vancouver/Lower Mainland vibe. however, when i visit LA, i always feel like i'm at home.[/]

Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The recent tax rise in California has very little effect on the average Californian. The sales tax went up 0.25% which is 25 cents on $100.00. The increase in income tax only affects the top income tax bracket.
Do you have relevant info that is easy to glean in one glance? hmm ..that will give us an idea for comparison purposes.

Found this one on BC personal & corporate taxes, short and sweet.
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2eqcjza.jpg

Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Do you have relevant info that is easy to glean in one glance? hmm ..that will give us an idea for comparison purposes.

Found this one on BC personal & corporate taxes, short and sweet.
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2eqcjza.jpg
What are you looking for. The tax increase in California was Proposition 30 that we voted on last November.

California Proposition 30, Sales and Income Tax Increase (2012) - Ballotpedia

As you can see it doesn't affect the average Californian very much.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM

6 posts, read 20,343 times
Dougie86 do you live in Canada if so would be nice to email back and fourth personally, I already spoke with a College in Vancouver that may sponsor me to come study abroad.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89insocal View Post
Dougie86 do you live in Canada if so would be nice to email back and fourth personally, I already spoke with a College in Vancouver that may sponsor me to come study abroad.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I`m not in the health care industry. However, I wish well in your endeavors and only you will know what route is best for you.

Congrats on the college in Vancouver. I note that their tuition fees for 2-year course (International Student) amount to approx. $27k ($15k + $11.5K).
VCC - fees_and_costs

Tuition fees at SAIT`s 2-year course in RHT (Rehab Therapy Assistant) for international students = $19,970.
SAIT - InternationalTuitionFeeTable.pdf

Grant MacEwan University charges around $32k.
Macewan - TuitionFees

Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM

487 posts, read 896,648 times
@89insocial I lived in Santa Monica and moved here to Van a year ago and it's much different than it seemed on my initial 5 day visit. Tuition for us is over $2,000 per class. I'm paying like $2400 for each class at the moment. 15k into it in debt I can't turn back out but reget the move. Everything, not just groceries, is about twice as expensive.
I get what you say about African Americans in LA, having lived in Compton myself. A lot of them are loud and rude, for whatever reason. I've been stolen from them and from ghetto Mexican girls on multiple occasions. The BUS drivers, even in ritzy little Santa Monica, are STINKING rude (and what do you know, Black too). None of that here! People are definitely more polite here--but the trade off is they're cold and distant as well.
There are a billion crackhead zombies in one part of this city, it's like a zombie apocalypse, at Main/Hastings. They have a place here where medical people supervise the crackheads shooting up, legally. Interestingly, a little west of there they have a café where you can legally sit around and smoke pot. Weird stuff.
This city is super Chinese, especially down in Richmond area. Then there are a few Indians and Arabs. None of these groups mingle much. White dudes all seem to go after Chinese/Japanese women here (not many Japanese though). I never see Asian men with white women though.
The outdoors is super nice, spring and summer is gorgeous, but it's cold and wet for 70/80% of the year so don't get to take advantage of it often. I can hardly stand a 25 minute walk in this weather--my hands and feet turn white and numb.
This city overall is so much nicer than LA though. But you can't really enjoy what it has to offer if you're not wealthy, and I mean really wealthy. I'd say go to Portland or Seattle. A lot of people suggest Minneapolis and Austin but their naturally surroundings are not as nice as the Pacific Northwest.
*whew* Vancouver summary time is over.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
. Seattle is not a substitute for Vancouver. These two cities, as you surely know, are very different in many regards
Yes...Seattle is MUCH better for your average professional/working stiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver