Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 AM

67 posts, read 95,564 times

Advertisements

going to vancouver from hawaii for a few days for work. never thought about it before but a co-worker wants me to bring back tylenol with codeine. not going to do it but it got me thinking. what other things are there in canada that you can't get in the us? i thought it would be easier to get info but a search here didn't really get me anything. for example, i'm going to enjoy a cuban cigar before i leave, besides that and the meds, what else is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Absinthe with no limit on thujone content (Absinthe in the USA can't have thujone in it), unpasteurized cheese, Kinder Surprise (not allowed to bring them back with you), and Reese's Bites which were discontinued in the USA but are still sold in Canada. These are the things that come immediately to mind as popular products Americans can't have that they want to get while in Canada. There are also some local Canadian foods that most Americans aren't familiar with enough to look for. Kethchup chips, Nanaimo bars, poutine, Montreal smoked meat (best place for it in Van is Dunn's downtown), Indian Candy, Butter Tarts etc...

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Absinthe with no limit on thujone content (Absinthe in the USA can't have thujone in it), unpasteurized cheese, Kinder Surprise (not allowed to bring them back with you), and Reese's Bites which were discontinued in the USA but are still sold in Canada. These are the things that come immediately to mind as popular products Americans can't have that they want to get while in Canada. There are also some local Canadian foods that most Americans aren't familiar with enough to look for. Kethchup chips, Nanaimo bars, poutine, Montreal smoked meat (best place for it in Van is Dunn's downtown), Indian Candy, Butter Tarts etc...
I don't know about absinthe with thujone or Reese Bites, but there are lots of raw/unpasteurized cheese and Kinder Surprise in NYC. I buy them regularly.

I've no idea why you think those are not available in the US.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I don't know about absinthe with thujone or Reese Bites, but there are lots of raw/unpasteurized cheese and Kinder Surprise in NYC. I buy them regularly.

For Kinder Surprise, it was this story:

Tourists get border surprise on trip home from Vancouver after trying to take ‘illegal’ Kinder eggs into the U.S. | World | News | National Post

For unpasteurized cheese, I read it recently in a comment on this forum.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
For Kinder Surprise, it was this story:

Tourists get border surprise on trip home from Vancouver after trying to take ‘illegal’ Kinder eggs into the U.S. | World | News | National Post

For unpasteurized cheese, I read it recently in a comment on this forum.
It may have been my post BIMBAM. If it was, what I said was that in the U.S. you can't get unpasteurized cheese that has been aged less than 60 days. It must be aged at least that. In Canada, we used to have the same regulation, but it has been relaxed to allow some French and Quebecois unpasteurized cheeses that are younger than 60 days.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post

Google " Kinder Eggs banned in the U.S. " and you get pages of stories. Are the ones you are buying in NYC the eggs with the toy inside, or other Kinder brand chocolates ?

Kinder Surprise Eggs Are Illegal in the United States - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe weed View Post
going to vancouver from hawaii for a few days for work. never thought about it before but a co-worker wants me to bring back tylenol with codeine. not going to do it but it got me thinking. what other things are there in canada that you can't get in the us? i thought it would be easier to get info but a search here didn't really get me anything. for example, i'm going to enjoy a cuban cigar before i leave, besides that and the meds, what else is there?

Tylenol with codeine is Tylenol3. Which is only available by prescription.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Actually you can get tylenol with codeine over the counter. In certain preparations, it's a Schedule 2 drug, meaning it can be sold over the counter by a pharmacist for self use, after a counsel and with the pharmacist having determined how and why you're using the medication. However, it's only schedule 2 if each tablet contains no more than 8mg of codeine phosphate and the bottle has no more than 50 tablets. It's recorded on your record and if you try to buy tons of the stuff or the pharmacist has reason to believe that you're buying it for some other reason than a legitimate medical or dental use, they're well within their rights, and obligated as medical professionals with a code of ethics, not to sell you the stuff. I'm a pharmacy student and would have lectured the guy if he hadn't said in the OP that he wasn't going to do it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
From the BC Medical Associations webpage on over the counter drugs. Each province has it's own rules of course. Perhaps Tylenol 3 has more than the allowable limit of codeine, but codeine products are sold without a prescription.

"Pain relievers containing small amounts of the narcotic codeine, such as 222s and Tylenol No.1, can be purchased without a prescription. Narcotics work well in the short term to relieve more intense pain, but they can be addictive, and can cause nausea, dizzines, constipation, and drowsiness."

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM

67 posts, read 95,564 times
so from what im seeing there isnt really anything i guess. thanks for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver