Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,063 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to ask this question, but I figured here might be a decent place to start.
My girlfriend got a job working at a grocery store... She was asked to sign paperwork saying that they wouldn't ever pay her overtime, even if she works more than 8 hours a day (she worked 9.5 on her first day!). I don't think that is legal... Does anyone know?

[url=http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/igm/esa-part-9/igm-esa-s-72.htm]Interpretation Guidelines Manual, Employment Standards Branch, Ministry of Labour, Government of B.C.[/url]
take a look at subsection h

Also, if it isn't and she doesn't want to lose her job, what can she do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austeane View Post
I don't know where to ask this question, but I figured here might be a decent place to start.
My girlfriend got a job working at a grocery store... She was asked to sign paperwork saying that they wouldn't ever pay her overtime, even if she works more than 8 hours a day (she worked 9.5 on her first day!). I don't think that is legal... Does anyone know?

Interpretation Guidelines Manual, Employment Standards Branch, Ministry of Labour, Government of B.C.
take a look at subsection h

Also, if it isn't and she doesn't want to lose her job, what can she do?
Yes it is illegal. I'm guessing this is not a big chain because most are unionized and even the ones that aren't, I can't see doing that. I'm guessing this is a small store?

Here is a link that explains OT in B.C. very clearly with a little video. She should complain to the Labour, Employment Standard's Branch. Tell her to document ALL overtime worked.

Government of B.C., Ministry of Labour, Employment Standards Branch, Hours of Work and Overtime Factsheet

Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Non-Union Wal-Mart does that but Safeway is part of the UFCW so they would pay time and a half I assume like another union with a collective bargaining agreement heck I remember UFCW cause they did have a trike and closed the stores and had to shop at Wall-mart for groceries which was a lot father than Safeway which is my local grocery store by my place.

But sure it was a minor hassle but as unions go in B.C. the BCTF is a powerful union that can influence politics and really mess up parents and kids life's and cost the B.C. economy a lot of headaches.

I mean She should go and take night school one of the provincial or federal grants that cover or reduce costs of getting into a in demand skilled trade or medical field and avoid the burden of huge student loan debt and get a job that is going to be place to advance and gain seniority in the company and have career that has a future.

plus never work for free unless you are volunteering and t work 1.5 hours of your free time and not get paid for it I would punch out after 8 hours since my day is done and they cannot fire you for finishing your shift.

neither can the fire you for not working OT without some type of compensation but then again I would never sign a Contract/Agreement that says you that you will not get overtime pay.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Non-Union Wal-Mart does that but Safeway is part of the UFCW so they would pay time and a half I assume like another union with a collective bargaining agreement heck I remember UFCW cause they did have a trike and closed the stores and had to shop at Wall-mart for groceries which was a lot father than Safeway which is my local grocery store by my place.

But sure it was a minor hassle but as unions go in B.C. the BCTF is a powerful union that can influence politics and really mess up parents and kids life's and cost the B.C. economy a lot of headaches.

I mean She should go and take night school one of the provincial or federal grants that cover or reduce costs of getting into a in demand skilled trade or medical field and avoid the burden of huge student loan debt and get a job that is going to be place to advance and gain seniority in the company and have career that has a future.

plus never work for free unless you are volunteering and t work 1.5 hours of your free time and not get paid for it I would punch out after 8 hours since my day is done and they cannot fire you for finishing your shift.

neither can the fire you for not working OT without some type of compensation but then again I would never sign a Contract/Agreement that says you that you will not get overtime pay.
Whatever she signed is invalid since it goes against provincial labour laws. I'm just curious what type of business would make someone sign a document that is surely illegal. There may be more to this story that we haven't heard yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver