Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,100 times

Advertisements

Me and 2 other guys are moving to Vancouver for a year, and I would like to ask a few questions about what life is like there?

Common negatives are that its ridiculously expensive and the job market is pretty depressed. However, we are going to be sharing the rent between the 3 of us, and won't be looking at anywhere too fancy. We've been living the student lifestyle for 3 years so can live in basic conditions! We're also not looking for any 'serious' career-driven jobs (of which I'm continually told there's a lack of), only casual work to get by. We're not the type of people who spend alot of money on dining out, cinema trips etc either.

Do you think we'll be able to get by and have a good life in Vancouver? This city gets ALOT of hate on the internet, but I feel that we can overcome some of its shortcomings? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would love to hear your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,259 times
I think you'll get by just fine. Owning real estate is expensive, rents are actually quite reasonable - even more so if you're pooling to resources together.

Vancouver is an actually an exceptional city for singles in their 20's - it's when having a family, career, house and carving out a middle class existence that life there becomes more challenging.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
I think you'll get by just fine. Owning real estate is expensive, rents are actually quite reasonable - even more so if you're pooling to resources together.

Vancouver is an actually an exceptional city for singles in their 20's - it's when having a family, career, house and carving out a middle class existence that life there becomes more challenging.
That's what I hoped!. Thank you for your help! Anyone else want to share experience?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM

163 posts, read 628,420 times
make the move and enjoy the ride. you won't regret it.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Agree with Liberated in TO

In your early 20's, carefree and with no pressure to actually having a career, Vancouver can be a lot of fun for a couple of years....
Enjoy the outdoors activity and the cheap, good Asian food.
Just do not forget to leave when it's time to grow up....do not get trapped in the emptyness behind the idyllic, almost cartoonish facade.
Van it's a nice playground city.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 28,353 times
What's it like for work?

I am in my 20s and single, plus family life and house-buying aren't remotely on my agenda. But I am curious about work. I don't expect a boom economy, but I certainly do want to get going on my career.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM

360 posts, read 982,189 times
It's not the place for career-minded people.

Cost of running a business and monthly housing rent are outrageously expensive.

But since you are only here for working holiday, I still encourage you to come here. There are many things to do and see especially in the winter season.

Climate in the summer is perfect because it is relatively mild and not humid.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:54 PM

20 posts, read 28,353 times
For me, I'll start on a working holiday, though, the new criteria for permenant residency in the agreement with my country is available after just one year of working in a two year visa. I would like to make Canada my home and will convey that at interview.

Yeah, the climate appeals to me. I come from a rainy place so a rainy winter is preferable to a snowy one. I love the outdoors culture.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Are you Canadian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver