Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM

33 posts, read 126,488 times

Advertisements

I am a US citizen, currently work and live North of Dallas, Texas. I have been offered a 3 year contract assignment for a company located in Surrey, BC, Canada. I am not sure that should I move my family (wife and two young kids) to Surrey or to some US city like Blaine or Bellingham and commute daily. One advantage of living in the US is that I don't have to worry about Canadian car insurance, Canadian car registration, Canadian driving license, Canadian cell phone contracts, Canadian Social Security card, Canadian Banking systems and Canadian health insurance system, etc. Before anyone suggests, I already checked and we won't be able to get on Canadian / BC government health insurance as it is only for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, not for people on TN visa or visitors. Obviously disadvantage is that I would have to commute for about 45 mins one way (with Nexus card) and missout on good metropolitan life of Surrey / Vancouver BC. What do you guys suggest about living in the US or Canada and what US city? Also how is the elementary school system?

Last edited by dvdg12; 12-15-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,207,861 times
45 minutes on a good day, it can be an exhausting commute, sitting for hours in that lineup.

Blaine is a quiet tiny town and fine for younger children, although Bellingham is a bit larger and nicer, but would add considerable time to your commute which could be difficult enough.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
45 minutes on a good day, it can be an exhausting commute, sitting for hours in that lineup.

Blaine is a quiet tiny town and fine for younger children, although Bellingham is a bit larger and nicer, but would add considerable time to your commute which could be difficult enough.
I am hoping Nexus card will help some in that commute, if I can get it.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,897,540 times
Do you REALLY want to put yourself at the mercy of powertripping Cdn and U.S border guards, twice a day, five days a week, 48 weeks a year, for three years? I mean, really???

Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,173,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Do you REALLY want to put yourself at the mercy of powertripping Cdn and U.S border guards, twice a day, five days a week, 48 weeks a year, for three years? I mean, really???
Agreed! However Nexus card may help that situation.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 AM

So If I decide to live in Surrey, what parts of town should I stay away from?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,207,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdg12 View Post
So If I decide to live in Surrey, what parts of town should I stay away from?
Whalley and IMO North Surrey. I have lived in Surrey although I was single at the time. My kids are the same age as yours now and if I moved back, I'd stick with the south surrey/panorama ridge area - maybe Guildford on a tight budget. Langley is also an excellent option for families, as well as Aldergrove or even Abbotsford (the borders are less busy too). If you worked in Surrey, Langley would be a great option IMO even better (wee bit more affordable but still very family friendly) with no real "bad areas".

Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
One bad border guard and you could be denied entry into Canada.
while this incident in the link is a Canadian going into the USA border guards have a tendency to exhibit similar attitudes no matter which way you are going.
As an example;;
Couple Arrested At U.S. Border For Asking Questions - YouTube

IMO if you work in Canada ,live in Canada.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'd stick with the south surrey/panorama ridge area - maybe Guildford on a tight budget. Langley is also an excellent option for families, as well as Aldergrove or even Abbotsford (the borders are less busy too)..
What are some good websites to look for BC rental houses. I see too many houses have rooms for rent. We would want a standalone house, if possible or may be a town house. Any websites for elementary school ratings? Also are the public elementary schools completely free like in the US?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Depending on the age of your children you might want to look into the possibility of renting a home in Point Roberts, Wa. which is a delightful, very pretty little community on the southern tip of the Tsawwassen Peninsula, and is about as close to Surrey as Blaine is. That way, although you would still have to cross the border you would be avoiding any long wait times. If your kids are primary school age they can go to school in Pt. Roberts but if they are beyond the Grade 3 level - that is to say, from 4th grade on, American children must take a 40-minute bus ride through British Columbia, crossing back into the United States to attend school in Blaine.

Point Roberts, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver