Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,947,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No, Vancouver is way worse than Northern California...North Cali is miles better.....San Francisco and surrounding areas can be and are very expensive but the opportunities (and salaries) are not comparable to Vancouver....night and day.
At least in Vancouver you don't have to pay $3,000 a month for a single bedroom apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,763,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would be willing to pay 16% more for everything if I could live in Vancouver instead of Portland. It's a much better city so it's totally worth it.
That is a matter of opinion, whereas I am stating facts. I have lived in both Vancouver and Portland and I far prefer Portland though I am not fan of either city.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,763,664 times
Quote:
At least in Vancouver you don't have to pay $3,000 a month for a single bedroom apartment.
I would much rather pay the higher rent and get the much higher salary in the San Francisco Bay area than live in Vancouver. I have lived in both areas. However it is all a matter of personal preference and there is no right or wrong.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Just to clarify all of Canada.

Alberta has no sales tax. Nunavut has no sales tax. The Yukon has no sales tax and the NWT.

Also BC has a provincial sales tax of 7%. Not hall provinces have merged the GST into a HST.
I said all Canadian provinces have sales tax - at a minimum of 5% (GST) - what's wrong with that? Alberta has no sales tax? I am sure they still have to pay 5%.

Those US states have zero sales tax, period.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
you honestly compare Vancouver to San Francisco?

SF has high rent because people can afford it and because it is a high demand area, simple as that.

Sasktoon has lower rent than Vancouver, and people there are laughing at paying $1600 a month for a condo in Vancouver too.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I would much rather pay the higher rent and get the much higher salary in the San Francisco Bay area than live in Vancouver. I have lived in both areas. However it is all a matter of personal preference and there is no right or wrong.
$3000 in San Fran, $1600 in Vancouver, the difference is $1400 a month 17k a year.
One is very likely to make $17k more in San Fran for the same kind of skills, not to mention other than housing, everything in San Fran is cheaper, including buying consumer goods, or traveling.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM

3,937 posts, read 3,268,930 times
Quote:
I would be willing to pay 16% more for everything if I could live in Vancouver instead of Portland. It's a much better city so it's totally worth it.
Ar eyou living in Portland??...if you do, actually you should thank your lucky stars that you live in the US where you can have so many choices instead of being stuck living in Vancouver....

Quote:
I can easily find condos outside of the SF core for way less than $3000 a month....it took me 30 seconds, google and zillow are your friends .....depends of where your job is.....nice condos for less than 2 grand a month (even 2 bedrooms) in the cute little town of Los Gatos for example where I actually have friends ....and is not unusual in the area to have college grads, depending on your skills, having job offers in the 6 figure range....dream on about that in Van....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-15-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,092,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
It is 12% total when you add the 5% GST federal tax which all provinces pay.
then it is 6.5% for Washington State. The other 3.5% are local/city tax. But this is not accurate, because you still have to pay the 9.5% in Washington and 12% in BC on top of the price.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,161,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I said all Canadian provinces have sales tax - at a minimum of 5% (GST) - what's wrong with that? Alberta has no sales tax? I am sure they still have to pay 5%.

Those US states have zero sales tax, period.
And people wonder why America's infrastructure is falling apart... when nobody wants to pay a penny for our roads and bridges and railways, and everyone wants to be a free-rider sucking off on existing public utility. The rest of the income taxes all go to a bloated military and bankrupt social security system.

Most OECD developed countries have a standardized national Value-Added Tax of on average 20%. Even China, the so-called capitalist haven, imposes a 17% VAT on most goods and services. Germany is 19%. The UK is 20%. Even Japan is realizing that it cannot keep its 8% sales tax intact and is in the process of going up to 10%.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,429,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
And people wonder why America's infrastructure is falling apart... when nobody wants to pay a penny for our roads and bridges and railways, and everyone wants to be a free-rider sucking off on existing public utility. The rest of the income taxes all go to a bloated military and bankrupt social security system.

Most OECD developed countries have a standardized national Value-Added Tax of on average 20%. Even China, the so-called capitalist haven, imposes a 17% VAT on most goods and services. Germany is 19%. The UK is 20%. Even Japan is realizing that it cannot keep its 8% sales tax intact and is in the process of going up to 10%.
Good point.

Add to this the fact that policies like "no sales tax on clothes" are cheap tactics to "gain" revenue. For example, New Jersey offers "no sales tax on clothes/shopping" only to attract tourists visiting NYC. And Texas offers low corporate taxes to companies around the country to "help them" relocate their businesses/jobs while hurting the home state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver