Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM

20 posts, read 28,321 times

Advertisements

Hi, no suggested threads appeared at all when I created this thread.

What is public transport like in suburbs? I've read all the trouism and official transport guides/websites but aside from the gloss, what's it like practically? If you live in one neighbourhood and have an appointment or a job in another, is it relatively easy and reliable to find busses to and fro?

I've tried this a few times on Google Maps, it has a great facility for transport, even pedestrians. I've read often that it's a great city for pedestrians and public transport but I'd rather ask locals than read glossy sites. Local services where I live now would have you believe that the busses could take you to Disneyland and back whenever you like but it doesn't work out that way.

If busses aren't reliable, I'm planning to situate myself close a Skytrain stop. If I don't have to rely on the Skytrain, then I could pick a nice place close to a beach or park. I would really take advantage of that.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 PM

43 posts, read 65,077 times
TransLink services are pretty decent in suburban Vancouver when they're not arguing for tax increases.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,181,433 times
I'd suggest moving close to a skytrain station. Buss routes in the suburbs can have buses that come only once an hour. I lived in the Surrey-North Delta area without a car for a while and it was pretty bad getting anywhere around there. I was close to the skytrain so getting downtown in 45 minutes or so wasn't a problem, getting somewhere within delta by bus would take more than an hour when to drive it would only take 15 minutes. I would never live out there without a vehicle again. Other places that I would avoid without a car are Langley, White Rock and the tri cities.
New Westminster is probably the best suburb for public transportation in the lower mainland. It's dense, walkable and served by several sky train stations. I have a colleague that lives there without a car and she says it's the best place she's lived car free.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at Kitsilano/Artbus/Mount Pleasant, I won't be out as far as Burnaby/Langley etc. Would the same still apply?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 PM

428 posts, read 1,181,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La La Land View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at Kitsilano/Artbus/Mount Pleasant, I won't be out as far as Burnaby/Langley etc. Would the same still apply?
None of those areas are "suburbs". Those are all neighborhoods within the city of Vancouver. Kitsilano is on the other side of the Burrard Bridge. Plenty of people from Kits walk, jog or cycle over the bridge right into Downtown Vancouver. All are well served by transit. I live right next to Kits (UBC/Point Grey) and I'm partial to it as I like the beach and the more upscale feel. I like Mount Pleasant as well just a different vibe (hipster). Mount Pleasant is going to be cheaper than the other two. Generally, the eastside is going to be cheaper than the westside.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM

Cheers for that, it will help me choose a place more easily. I have a place to stay for a week at the end of the month in Kits to look for a place. If I find a place in Point Grey/Dunbar near Pacific Spirit or Kits I would be delighted. Yeah Google maps suggests busses are frequent enough, I tried a few tests but I wanted to know for sure. Regarding the suburbs, I'll have to take that in. Where I am now, a neighbourhood beside the city centre/downtown is quite separate even if it's within walking distance. But when in Rome...

Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,499,607 times
I live in Kits, public transit is incredible, absolutely no reason to use any other mode of transportation when living here, no complaints at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver