Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,508 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Like the title reads, I'm ready and willing to work, and I'm looking for a full-time job, any job will do. I grew up in Vancouver and lived there until I moved away, so I do have a work history there but nothing after 2010. What I am most worried about is the fact that I haven't had a job in 4 years, during which time I've been travelling and was in school. (I had quite a bit saved up.)

Now I'm planning to return to Vancouver to take care of my mother for a bit, because she's getting older and can't do a lot of things on her own. However... I am so nervous about the prospect of looking for a job! How do I explain for the huge gap in my employment history? And references? I doubt the people I used to work for are available to give references, and I've lost touch with any friends I had in Vancouver.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me on how I might successfully get a job when I'm back in Vancouver?

I'm open to taking on volunteer roles to beef up my resume, if that would help me. I'd also really prefer to find work that doesn't put me in front of a lot of people, so that leaves out retail or service-based positions. That doesn't leave me many choices, I know, but one can hope. Without having many options to my recourse though, I know I will have to settle for what I can find for now.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:07 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I don't think most small-time jobs are going to call your past references anyways. I've had a couple of jobs that I just up and left and when I got new interviews. I called the reference bluffs all but once.

If you finished school succesfully and have worked in the past it won't or shouldn't be a problem getting a low paying job rather quickly. It's just a matter of moving up from there. I haven't landed any 'good' jobs yet but you're probably older than me, have more experience, motivation, and more education. So it should happen eventually. Serving at a restaurant or working in a cell phone store/kiosk tend to pay more and those positions are not really tricky to get. In fact in 2011 I got an interview with a Telus in Vancouver and I live in Ontario.

Just print out double digit resumes and go wandering around. Then when you're at home email everyone and anyone hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver