Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:44 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
This is exactly what I mean when I say that the "nowhere else to go" factor has saved Vancouver (so far) from a well deserved steep housing downturn...the rest of Canada in winter is simply unbearable for many in winter, especially immigrants (been there done that).
Some people prefer to barely make a living with no career prospects in a gray and rainy city (Vancouver has a "mild climate" only by Canadian standards) rather then freezing their bums off elsewhere in Canada.
No, Vancouver has a mild climate compared to many places in the world, even some major U.S cities. Sure it isn't mild compared to places in the Southern Hemisphere but don't get so clouded in your Vancouver hate that you can't recognize that many places get quite cold in the winter and comparatively, Vancouver does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
No, Vancouver has a mild climate compared to many places in the world, even some major U.S cities. Sure it isn't mild compared to places in the Southern Hemisphere but don't get so clouded in your Vancouver hate that you can't recognize that many places get quite cold in the winter and comparatively, Vancouver does not.
In fact during winter Vancouver is milder than London, Paris and Amsterdam a lot of the times. Milder than NYC, Chicago. It's the same as Seattle. The rainfall is very close to Sydney Australia in millimetres.

You hit the nail on the head though with " don't get so clouded in your Vancouver hate ' bit.
That poster has a rabid blind hate for which there is no cure. It just irks him that Vancouver gets any attention at all and that is rated continuously as a great place to live.

He claims the winters are unbearable in most of Canada…well not for some obviously since 20.6 percent of the population is foreign born, the HIGHEST percentage of any G8 country. So someone must like it here.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

He claims the winters are unbearable in most of Canada…well not for some obviously since 20.6 percent of the population is foreign born, the HIGHEST percentage of any G8 country. So someone must like it here.
As one of those foreign born immigrants, I have to say that I like Canada despite the weather.
The past winter in Toronto is close to being unbearable.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:03 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
As one of those foreign born immigrants, I have to say that I like Canada despite the weather.
I agree it was pretty bad winter for T.O. but it was just about the same as a "normal" Ottawa or Montreal winter, actually slightly warmer

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You survived though ! So now you can look next winter in the face without fear LOL

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I agree it was pretty bad winter for T.O. but it was just about the same as a "normal" Ottawa or Montreal winter, actually slightly warmer
Vancouver's winter was mild. It also felt drier than normal. We had if I remember correctly one snow shower downtown…lasted half a day.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post

Vancouver has not a mild climate by any stretch of imagination, only by Canadian standards...I live in Seattle which has exactly the same lousy weather, (long dreadful weeks with no sunshine in sight, constant drizzle)
Nobody in US would call Seattle climate "mild" nor it is a desireable place to live because of the weather....but again in US you have different choices and perspectives.

I do not give a damn about "hating Vancouver" I simply strongly dislike propaganda....

Quote:
That poster has a rabid blind hate
Typical Vancouverite apologist attitude...someone call the things the way they are and automatically he/she becomes a "hater"....I never hated anybody in my life, never mind an entire city.

Quote:
The rainfall is very close to Sydney Australia in millimetres.

Amount of precipitation is not and never has been the issue/problem my friend...the constant drizzle and the lack os sunshine is (and we stop at the weather without getting in other more serious issues) ....I'm pretty sure you can find places in Arizona with more annual precipitation of Vancouver....

If i really have to choose, I take a nice Chinook sunny day in Calgary in winter over a hopeless overcast day in the Northwest...

Quote:
It just irks him that Vancouver gets any attention at all and that is rated continuously as a great place to live.
I have news for you....nowadays the truth is out that actually Vancouver is not that great place to be....that train has already left the station (getting harder to sell condos).....even in the BS concocted "official statistics and surveys" Vancouver has slipped quite a bit....nobody believes in that anymore, not even Vancouverites....

Quote:
Yep...a littel correction to that statement...someone has to like it there because the vast majority of immigrants come from countries with very little opportunities and choices and up to few years ago Canada was handling out visas like candies....I put it in few words....it was extremely easy to come to Canada....

By the way the OP is an immigrant and he is the clear example of what I'm talking about when I mention the unbearable winters (yes they are for many people)

Granted for the few people that truly enjoy the snow there are absolutely great places in Canada to have a career and raise a family....

Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Vancouver has not a mild climate by any stretch of imagination, only by Canadian standards...I live in Seattle which has exactly the same lousy weather, (long dreadful weeks with no sunshine in sight, constant drizzle)
Nobody in US would call Seattle climate "mild" nor it is a desireable place to live because of the weather....but again in US you have different choices and perspectives.

There are many places warmer than Vancouver/Seattle in the US, but to deny these cities have "mild" weather is silly. We are not saying they have great/perfect weather, but do you even know what the word "mild" means? Mild means no extreme heat or coldness, and I think Vancouver despite its cloudy/rainly winter, fits this perfectly.

Mild:
not cold, severe, or extreme, as air or weather: mild breezes.

There are warmer places in the US, but warm=/= mild. For example, Miami is not mild. Houston is not mild. both are too hot in the long summer. And honestly even most part of Los Angeles (non-coastal areas) can be hardly described as mild - the temperature gets to the 90F/30C+ in as early as April and sometimes in Feburary! is it "mild"?

Vancouver has a mean of 4C in Jan (on the cool side) and 18C in July, with a record high of 34C. Of course it is mild. You are confusing mild with "warm". And keep in mind that not everyone likes 90F hot summer days. 75C is the perfert summer temperature and anything above 80 with humidity is uncomfortable.

On the other hand, San Diego is very mild on a different level. But there are very few cities with that kind of perfect weather.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
There are many places warmer than Vancouver/Seattle in the US, but to deny these cities have "mild" weather is silly. We are not saying they have great/perfect weather, but do you even know what the word "mild" means? Mild means no extreme heat or coldness, and I think Vancouver despite its cloudy/rainly winter, fits this perfectly.

Mild:
not cold, severe, or extreme, as air or weather: mild breezes.

There are warmer places in the US, but warm=/= mild. For example, Miami is not mild. Houston is not mild. both are too hot in the long summer. And honestly even most part of Los Angeles (non-coastal areas) can be hardly described as mild - the temperature gets to the 90F/30C+ in as early as April and sometimes in Feburary! is it "mild"?

Vancouver has a mean of 4C in Jan (on the cool side) and 18C in July, with a record high of 34C. Of course it is mild. You are confusing mild with "warm". And keep in mind that not everyone likes 90F hot summer days. 75C is the perfert summer temperature and anything above 80 with humidity is uncomfortable.

I concede that Vancouver or Seattle have mild temperatures we agree on that...the lack of sunchine and the constant drizzle is anything but mild....nobody in the US chooses to live in Seattle for its "mild weather" and many people complain not only about the long stretches of grey skies but also the lack of clear distinct 4 seasons.

So let's not confuse mild temperatures with mild weather....very different concept......and obviously there are warm places that do not have a mild weather either....

Quote:
On the other hand, San Diego is very mild on a different level. But there are very few cities with that kind of perfect weather.
A lot of coastal towns (both east and west) in the mid-southern part of the US have very nice mild weather and mild temperatures...I consider already San Francisco having a much better weather than Vancouver or Seattle....

Many places in the south have definitely more extreme hot summers so technically they do not have mild temperatures buth with proper amount annual rainfall and sunshine days I would definitely call them more pleasant than the Northwest.

Northwest lousy weather actually affects many people's life (lack of vitamin D, depression, allergie and other ailments) so I would not use the word "mild" in my opinion

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-14-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM

^ in which case you are not using the word "mild" properly. Mild means no extreme heat or coldness, and Vancouver fits that criteria. Sunshine hours have nothing to do with mild weather. You are more talking about comfortable weather. You can't say the weather is not mild because it rains too much... that's not how mild is defined.

Of course the Bay area has much better weather. No argument about that.

Not sure about the southwest. I myself don't like too much sunshine and even think the sun in Toronto summer is a bit excessively hot. I would take Vancouver/Seattle's weather over Houston/Phoenix/Las vegas any day but maybe it is just me. Anything above 30C/90F is just as bad as below freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver