Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 152,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Actually Vancouver gets about 25% more rain than Seattle, and averages about 1.5 C colder. Seattle has the Olympic mountain range to the west, which block some of the rain and cool air flow, Vancouver is pretty wide open to the ocean.

Vancouver still has a very mild climate by most standards though.
Cool air in winter comes from the east, not west.

Also Vancouver is not exactly "wide open" to the ocean, Vancouver Island is just to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:59 PM

69 posts, read 152,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The point, again is not that Vancouver (or the PNW in general, including Seattle or Portland) has the worst weather in the world, obviously it doesn't.
But it is definitely not pleasant weather by any stretch of imagination and it does affects people's life.
Also the so called Vancouver gloom is very seasonal. Winter gloomy yes....summer no.
Vancouver enjoys a very sunny summer, sunnier in summer than a lot of places most people think
as being very sunny.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM

372 posts, read 599,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
the availability of winter sports doesn't make winter any better. When you ski, it is still freazking cold and you need to put a lot of clothes on.

Icefishing... the most boring "sport" I can think of. People in the north invented it because there is really absolutely nothing else to do.

Your attitude is the thing that will make anything better. Ice fishing is pretty cool to me. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean nobody does. To each his own. I'd rather live in Canada than Cali or Florida.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
I'd rather live in Canada than Cali or Florida.

I'm not questioning your preferences but I'm pretty sure that many more people do prefer Cali or Florida than the other way around.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:55 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
I like Vancouver better because it's on the ocean and it's in a better area. British Columbians are friendlier too in my opinion. I do love Toronto though.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM

81 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
1.1 million can't get you brand new? LMFAO!!!
Not in Kitslano,Point Grey,Shaughnessy,West Van,North Van,East Van or Burnaby lol. (I know many of these areas are technically neighbourhoods of Vancouver but they feel and operate like suburbs)

But sorry your totally right OP said General Vancouver Area. Although not exactly desirable by most the Tri-Cities, Maple Ridge & Surrey offer new developments for $1 Million and under.

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 05-18-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not questioning your preferences but I'm pretty sure that many more people do prefer Cali or Florida than the other way around.
It all depends WHERE in Canada and California were talking about...For example

Vancouver > Stockton
Winnipeg < San Diego

haha you get what I mean?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I have news for you....nowadays the truth is out that actually Vancouver is not that great place to be....that train has already left the station (getting harder to sell condos).....even in the BS concocted "official statistics and surveys" Vancouver has slipped quite a bit....nobody believes in that anymore, not even Vancouverites....
Different strokes for different folks. We all have our own personal idea of what makes a great city and no city is perfect. The only person that decides if a city is a great place to be is YOU individually.

I love nature. Like I really really love nature. I also like dense walkable cities that are surrounded by water. Luckily for me Downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park offer the best of both worlds!

If palm trees and urban sprawl is what floats your boat, hey man thats cool! Been there done that. I loved it as well But at this point in my life (Married with 2 kids) i'd much rather live in Vancouver by the beach than anywhere in Southern California.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
It all depends WHERE in Canada and California were talking about...For example

Vancouver > Stockton
Winnipeg < San Diego

haha you get what I mean? Today 09:47 AM
Obviously I meant as generalization...ok sure, between Compton or Oakland and Vancouver I do prefer Vancouver....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
Different strokes for different folks. We all have our own personal idea of what makes a great city and no city is perfect. The only person that decides if a city is a great place to be is YOU individually.

I love nature. Like I really really love nature. I also like dense walkable cities that are surrounded by water. Luckily for me Downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park offer the best of both worlds!

If palm trees and urban sprawl is what floats your boat, hey man thats cool! Been there done that. I loved it as well But at this point in my life (Married with 2 kids) i'd much rather live in Vancouver by the beach than anywhere in Southern California.

Well I'm glad that you are lucky that you enjoy where you live...unfortunately a lot of people live in Van and would like to be somewhere else....

Southern California does not necessarily mean only urban sprawl...as you said before, depends on the location.....

Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM

52 posts, read 112,155 times
I think the weather will continue to get weirder from here on out, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver