Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

I moved to Canada (Toronto, Oakville) in September 2012 and have seen the worst winters (2013 and 2014). It's mid-April and still cold.

I moved here thinking that I would have access to lots of open spaces and parks all year round but it seems that all outdoor activities are possible only for 5 months (May-September) and then it starts getting cold. This winter was so cold that temp dipped close to -30. (Yes in Toronto)

Except the weather, there is nothing to complain actually. I don't have a 9 to 5 job and pretty flexible with my work. (work from home) and make decent money.

I have a 3 year old and not really worried about his schooling etc at this point. I am currently renting a place and not getting enough motivation to buy a house as I would JUST not be looking forward to the winter where life gets very slow (not if you have to rush 5 days a week for a 9-5 job).

Other than the weather, I don't have any other complaints. It's pretty safe and the traffic system is pretty good too.

I would like to spend a few days in a nice suburb/city in the Greater Vancouver Area and then take a call.

What could I possible get in Greater Vancouver for 1 or 1.1 Mil?

I haven't come across a lot of convincing discussions about Vancouver being better than Toronto but I still wonder how can Toronto beat Vancouver when it is super cold for 7 months and one has to stay indoors for half of the year.

Any inputs would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times

Sorry, maybe I'm being dumber than a box of rocks here but I don't understand what you mean when you say you "need to take a call ". Could it be a language barrier? My understanding of taking a call means to accept a telephone call from someone. Do you maybe mean you want to make a judgement call, meaning that you want to make a decision about where to live? So maybe you could explain what taking a call means to you?

All of Canada is cold for 7 months of the year. Vancouver may get warmer temperatures and less snow than Toronto and other parts of Canada during the winter but it also gets a lot more rain and overcast, cloudy skies, often for longer than 7 months a year, sometimes it's more rainy than sunny for 8.5 to 9 months a year. So in a way it's a six of one and half a dozen of the other kind of trade off where you're trading the cold of Toronto for the watery skies of Vancouver. Both will keep people indoors if they're afraid of either freezing into a popsicle or turning into a mushroom then dissolving from exposure.

You said you would like to visit to spend a few days in a nice suburb/city in the Greater Vancouver area (and then take a call - whatever that means) and I think that's a good idea. If you spend a few days visiting and looking around the various GV suburbs you will get a better idea of what kind of dwellings you can get in each suburb for around 1 million. You will also get a better idea of what the demographics are like in each suburb you visit which I personally feel is much more important that the cost of a house. What would be the benefit of having an ostentatious $1 million status symbol house in a neighbourhood that might be ridden by crime and nobody speaks the same language as you when you could be in a $400 thousand house in a really nice family neighbourhood where you and your children are very happy and safe and everyone likes you and speaks the same language? You know what I mean? So study up on the demographics of each neighbourhood in the Greater Vancouver region before you come for a visit so you'll know which suburbs you want to investigate first.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 PM

81 posts, read 154,660 times
1.1 million can get you a decent 4-5 bedroom home in Vancouver's suburbs. Nothing luxurious or brand new but far from run down

I'd suggest checking out these two areas:

North Vancouver (Upper Lonsdale, Lynn Valley, Capilano)
- Beautiful quiet suburb located on a mountain. Lots of clean parks, You're literally surrounded by nature. Amazing views of the city as well. Great access to Downtown via the Seabus and about a 15 - 25 minute drive depending on traffic.

Coquitlam (Westwood Plateau)
- I like to call it the Bel Air of the Tri-Cities. It's about a 45 minute to an hour drive from Downtown so the property prices are a bit cheaper. Lots of hills and hidden little parks spread throughout. Great outdoor options for children. It's a more recent development as well so the homes are generally newer than what you find in the rest of the city.

If you're willing to downscale to a condo or rent I would also recommend checking out Kitsilano, Point Grey & West Vancouver.

Avoid Surrey.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM

47 posts, read 90,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
1.1 million can get you a decent 4-5 bedroom home in Vancouver's suburbs. Nothing luxurious or brand new but far from run down

I'd suggest checking out these two areas:

North Vancouver (Upper Lonsdale, Lynn Valley, Capilano)
- Beautiful quiet suburb located on a mountain. Lots of clean parks, You're literally surrounded by nature. Amazing views of the city as well. Great access to Downtown via the Seabus and about a 15 - 25 minute drive depending on traffic.

Coquitlam (Westwood Plateau)
- I like to call it the Bel Air of the Tri-Cities. It's about a 45 minute to an hour drive from Downtown so the property prices are a bit cheaper. Lots of hills and hidden little parks spread throughout. Great outdoor options for children. It's a more recent development as well so the homes are generally newer than what you find in the rest of the city.

If you're willing to downscale to a condo or rent I would also recommend checking out Kitsilano, Point Grey & West Vancouver.

Avoid Surrey.

1.1 million can't get you brand new? LMFAO!!!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
I wouldn't base your decision solely on being in Toronto in one of the coldest winters ever, as most winters are absolutely nothing like this past one. Both cities are great and both also have some downsides, hopefully you'll find so where you really like.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Weather is not the only factor (or even a main one depending on who you talk to) that makes a city better or worse than another one.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post

Avoid Surrey.
The city of Surrey encompasses an extremely large area with bad/sketchy areas, middle of the road areas, and very nice upscale areas. South Surrey (borders White Rock) is a very nice expensive area with beaches close by. It's certainly at least as nice as Coquitlam (I'd personally prefer S.Surrey).

Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Sorry, maybe I'm being dumber than a box of rocks here but I don't understand what you mean when you say you "need to take a call ".
I think he meant "making the call" indicating making a decision whether to live in Toronto or Vancouver.

To give the OP some comfort, this winter is really a once every 25 year one. So next time you experience it, it is probably 2040.

No one can say Toronto is better than Vancouver. It depends on your needs/preference.
  • Toronto is 3X the size of Vancouver population wise, so there are more people, more stores, more job opportunities, and more congestions.
  • Toronto is much colder than Vancouver in the winter (Dec-mid Apr) but also warmer in the summer (May-Sept, probably not this May). But Vancouver winter is very rainy and doesn't have a normal summer most people would expect (normally high under 25C).
  • Toronto is more diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, while Vancouver is mostly White, Chinese and Indian. Both cities are safe.
  • Vancouver has a natural backdrop that is hard to beat, Toronto has a better night life and an interesting ravine system (it is called San Francisco upside down). It is also by a major lake.
  • Vancouver's housing price is higher (by maybe 20%? not sure)

Old 05-10-2014, 12:54 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Like botticelli mentioned above, this past winter was the worst winter in Toronto in over 20 years, it's not like that every year.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
This is exactly what I mean when I say that the "nowhere else to go" factor has saved Vancouver (so far) from a well deserved steep housing downturn...the rest of Canada in winter is simply unbearable for many in winter, especially immigrants (been there done that).
Some people prefer to barely make a living with no career prospects in a gray and rainy city (Vancouver has a "mild climate" only by Canadian standards) rather then freezing their bums off elsewhere in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver