U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 PM

375 posts, read 774,347 times
Default Wow.

What a bunch of weather weenies.

Vancouver is one of the coolest cities around, with less attitude than anywhere in California that I've been, though perhaps similarly expensive.

It's unfortunate that folks are scaring you off because the winters are grey and damp.

Go to the California boards - every place has unique problems. Seems to me that (at worst) unpleasant weather is a lot easier to deal with than sprawl, gentrification, massive budgetary issues, etc. But to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:28 AM

38 posts, read 93,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
What a bunch of weather weenies.

Vancouver is one of the coolest cities around, with less attitude than anywhere in California that I've been, though perhaps similarly expensive.

It's unfortunate that folks are scaring you off because the winters are grey and damp.

Go to the California boards - every place has unique problems. Seems to me that (at worst) unpleasant weather is a lot easier to deal with than sprawl, gentrification, massive budgetary issues, etc. But to each their own.
I don't find fall or spring to be all that pleasant either...summer can be hit and miss. For me life is to short to live somewhere that is grey,cold, and wet soo much of the year..and it costs a fortune for the privledge of it all.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM

12 posts, read 51,609 times
Thumbs down Vancouver is rainy and gloomy all year long

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some general info on Vancouver. I want to get away from Chicago's harsh winters... I've heard that the weather in Vancouver is fairly decent. What is it like all year round? I'm asthmatic and need to find a place that had moderate temps all year round. What are the hot job fields there? Nice neighborhood to consider where the rent isn't too high?

If anyone has ever been to Chicago..how would you compare Vancouver with Chicago?

Thanks in advance!
If you are considering moving to Vancouver you will have to be ready for rain, and lots of it. The skies are grey and gloomy and there is rarely a sunny day. The rent is high all over BC, not just in Vancouver and surrounding areas. Cost of living is high as well and the transit system is one of the worst I have ever seen in all of Canada.
On a social level there is a high rate of homelessness and poverty and the wages are not too good. Crime is an issue too. If you have lots of cash in hand and you can secure yourself a job right away you might be able to make it there, but do not go to BC without lots of cash, that is why the local
people joke BC stands for "bring cash!". lorri

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 PM

23 posts, read 154,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorri View Post
If you are considering moving to Vancouver you will have to be ready for rain, and lots of it. The skies are grey and gloomy and there is rarely a sunny day. The rent is high all over BC, not just in Vancouver and surrounding areas. Cost of living is high as well and the transit system is one of the worst I have ever seen in all of Canada.
On a social level there is a high rate of homelessness and poverty and the wages are not too good. Crime is an issue too. If you have lots of cash in hand and you can secure yourself a job right away you might be able to make it there, but do not go to BC without lots of cash, that is why the local
people joke BC stands for "bring cash!". lorri
While I agree with much of what you have said the statement that there is rarely a sunny day in Vancouver is completely untrue. I just spent 3 months there last summer and with the exception of a week it was very sunny the whole time. Check out katkam.ca for current weather pics and see for yourself. It does rain a lot but it is an insanely beautiful city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver