Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times

Advertisements

Did you READ the original post ?

He had a budget figured out, down to haircut costs. I'd say that he is really interested in going to Vancouver. To the extent that he isn't going to even think about any other city in Canada.

My point was simple. He has not even applied, as a Immigrant, and he is ignoring the fact that he may NOT be approved, by the Canadian Government. I was trying to point out that he has to know that it's a competition, not a lottery, and he may be one of the many who is denied a place in Canada.

I get the idea of "planning ahead " but many potential Immigrants get so caught up in the concept of "moving to Canada' that they forget that their application can be denied, for a wide range of reasons.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Did you READ the original post ?

He had a budget figured out, down to haircut costs. I'd say that he is really interested in going to Vancouver. To the extent that he isn't going to even think about any other city in Canada.

My point was simple. He has not even applied, as a Immigrant, and he is ignoring the fact that he may NOT be approved, by the Canadian Government. I was trying to point out that he has to know that it's a competition, not a lottery, and he may be one of the many who is denied a place in Canada.

I get the idea of "planning ahead " but many potential Immigrants get so caught up in the concept of "moving to Canada' that they forget that their application can be denied, for a wide range of reasons.

Jim B. In Toronto.
And yet he is not sure if he can afford it, as he says: "The only thing I know for sure is that Vancouver is one of the most expensive places to live, and that scares me a little bit.", meaning he is still not sure.

In general, I agree with you that there are some people on this forum and in general who disregard the fact that they must figure out if they are qualified for immigration/working permit at all.

Having said that, a job offer from a Canadian employer, especially in an occupation in demand, offers a great chance of being approved, and if this is the case, doing a proper research of if you should start the whole process is the next step, which involves figuring out affordability of a particular place among other things.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 PM

77 posts, read 134,457 times
As a note, you have Gas listed twice it appears.

Are these prices reasonable?
Gas $200
Water $100
Electricity $150

It was suggested to me that $150-250 should cover all 3 per month, depending on the season (higher heating costs in winter.)

I'm in a similar situation, I have the work permit already however. I'm trying to figure out the costs as well (my wife and I are 30, no kids, looking to live in coquitlam).

Given that we've seen 3 bedroom condos/apartments in coquitlam/port moody/port coquitlam for $2k, I dont think you're going to find one in the downtown area for that much - I wont be working in the city, but the commute doesnt look too bad from the areas just out of town (coquitlam, port moody, port coquitlam, burnaby, langley, maple ridge - i've been told surrey isnt worth looking at too many times.)

If it is your dream job, then you might have to sacrifice some of this:
Dining out $400
Events $200
Travel/ Vacation $600
Pocket Money $400

Where we are now, we cant afford any of this, so its no big loss to us if we dont have it. See here:
Canada Tax Calculator - UltimateCalculators.com
to figure out how much your $1600 of discretionary spend is going to cost you in taxable income.

We're planning to buy a used car outright when we arrive to save the hassles of getting a loan and monthly payments.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javierrrr View Post
Are you sure about 4000 dollars for a home/townhouse/apartment/condo? This is renting, not buying. I want a 1000 square meters house at minimum, ideally 3 bedrooms, at least 2. Everywhere else I asked I was told between 1500 and 3000.
1000 square meters? That's 10,000+ square feet.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romergan View Post
Dude You might not save much in Vncouver but YOU WILL FEEL ALIVE!!!!!!!
yeah, every Canadian who doesn't live in Vancouver are living like walking zombies.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Auto Loan/Lease $600 --> Geez, what car do you expect to drive, a Porches SUV?
Gas $500 --> do you plan to drive 100 miles everyday or what?
Internet/TV $200 -> guess you picked the most expensive packages among all options
Gas $200 --> assuming this is for heating/cooling, $200 a month?? Vancouver is neither very cold nor very hot.
Electricity $150 -> I pay $50 a month and Ontario is the most expensive province in terms of electricity price.
Dining out $400 -> to say one needs to spend $400 dinning out is crazy
Pocket Money $400 -> since a lot of small items have already been accounted for, then $400 for pocket money?
Savings $2000 -> after all the extravagance, you still want to save $2000 a month.

Your numbers are so off as if you plan to move to Monte Carlo, not Vancouver.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javierrrr View Post
Are you sure about 4000 dollars for a home/townhouse/apartment/condo? This is renting, not buying. I want a 1000 square meters house at minimum, ideally 3 bedrooms, at least 2. Everywhere else I asked I was told between 1500 and 3000.
Are you sure you want 1000 square meters? That is about 10,000 sq. ft. and will cost you probably $25,000 /month. I think you probably want 100 square meters.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 972 times
If you already have some savings, why don't you just buy a new / old apartment / townhouse instead of renting? You can put as low as 5% down (depend on your current credit score) or 35%.

And you can make your monthly payment around $2000. (In my case, i bought $670K townhouse and I put 35% down, monthly payment $18XX) And you don't have to pay $4K for monthly rental fee, plus your property value may increasing during the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver