Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,483,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I guess it's like Brampton in gta. Not really an attractive place to live in general but hardly a ghetto. I wonder if ghettos really exist in canada.
Yes, there is only one. The Downtown Eastside in Vancouver. But, as a counter to the racial thing, the people who live there are mostly White and Aboriginal, there's probably fewer minorities there then in the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 12:11 AM

241 posts, read 711,584 times
This is interesting to me as I am seriously considering purchasing a business in Guildford and living in White Rock. Any knowledgeable comments on the Guildford area would be very appreciated.

I have lived in various areas of Canada and the US and find that areas in Canada that people post about being unsafe are generally not true in reality, but are just comments of people from behind a keyboard who have not traveled, etc. I am interested in opinions on this area.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 AM

18,495 posts, read 15,398,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yes, there is only one. The Downtown Eastside in Vancouver. But, as a counter to the racial thing, the people who live there are mostly White and Aboriginal, there's probably fewer minorities there then in the city as a whole.
I would never refer to the downtown eastside as a ghetto. First of all, it's quite small, only a few blocks long and one or two blocks wide in places. I know there is no size limit in the definition of ghetto, but most, I think, believe a ghetto to be larger than the DTES. One block off Hastings and you are in Gastown, a place filled with tourists, bars, restaurants and nice shops.

Secondly, it's only adults. There are no families living there. Again, I'm going by what most people think of as a ghetto. Projects, families, young gangs etc. None of which exist in the DTES. It's mainly rooming houses, flea bag hotels, drug addicts, etc. No gangs, no children etc.

Thirdly, safety. Most think of ghettos as unsafe. DTES isn't Robson Street, but it sure isn't dangerous.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM

14,681 posts, read 14,800,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
This is interesting to me as I am seriously considering purchasing a business in Guildford and living in White Rock. Any knowledgeable comments on the Guildford area would be very appreciated.

I have lived in various areas of Canada and the US and find that areas in Canada that people post about being unsafe are generally not true in reality, but are just comments of people from behind a keyboard who have not traveled, etc. I am interested in opinions on this area.

Thanks
Good choice. You'll absolutely love White Rock to live in as it gets the longest day-light hours and the most sunshine in the lower mainland and it's a nice sea-side resort town, and Guildford is a great area for business endeavours as Guildford is a very busy place. Guildford on the south side of Hwy. #1 is basically the city of Surrey's major down-town business core - lots of businesses, the government buildings and agencies, big shopping mall (see Guildford Town Centre directory Directory @ Guildford ), theatre, many restaurants, the hospital, clinics, medical buildings, all kinds of shops and services and amenities, new upscale high-rise buildings and town-houses. The further south and east areas of Guildford (look at the map I posted in post # 8) there are several farms. Guildford on the north side of Hwy. 1 looking along the Fraser River there's a lot of new upscale residential areas as well as some light industrial parks, green-belts, and a few small scale farms (a few hazlenut orchards along the river), a golf course or two - also the new Golden Ears Bridge that crosses the river from Maple Ridge/PittMeadows lands on the Guildford side of the river.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-15-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good choice. You'll absolutely love White Rock to live in as it gets the longest day-light hours and the most sunshine in the lower mainland and it's a nice sea-side resort town, and Guildford is a great area for business endeavours as Guildford is a very busy place. Guildford on the south side of Hwy. #1 is basically the city of Surrey's major down-town business core - lots of businesses, the government buildings and agencies, big shopping mall (see Guildford Town Centre directory Directory @ Guildford ), theatre, many restaurants, the hospital, clinics, medical buildings, all kinds of shops and services and amenities, new upscale high-rise buildings and town-houses. The further south and east areas of Guildford (look at the map I posted in post # 8) there are several farms. Guildford on the north side of Hwy. 1 looking along the Fraser River there's a lot of new upscale residential areas as well as some light industrial parks, green-belts, and a few small scale farms (a few hazlenut orchards along the river), a golf course or two - also the new Golden Ears Bridge that crosses the river from Maple Ridge/PittMeadows lands on the Guildford side of the river.

Thanks for the info...it seems like a good choice. I am flying out this weekend to see both the business and some homes in White Rock.

Any opinions on Guildford in terms of safety, etc.? From what I hear Surrey is rapidly growing and also rapidly improving it's reputation. The business I am looking to purchase, I am told, is on the main north/south road White Rock (152st) which has very high traffic.

Thanks again, I appreciate grounded info from people familiar with the area.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:01 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,800,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Thanks for the info...it seems like a good choice. I am flying out this weekend to see both the business and some homes in White Rock.

Any opinions on Guildford in terms of safety, etc.? From what I hear Surrey is rapidly growing and also rapidly improving it's reputation. The business I am looking to purchase, I am told, is on the main north/south road White Rock (152st) which has very high traffic.

Thanks again, I appreciate grounded info from people familiar with the area.
You're welcome. While I'm familiar with Surrey I don't live there (I'm in Maple Ridge just on the other side of the river from Surrey) and don't have the benefit of personal day-to-day observations of the Guildford district so I don't feel adequate to offering authoritative information about safety. However, I'll offer a personal opinion based on what I do know about it. If I, as a woman, was in the position of owning and operating a business in the Guildford business sector I would do so without qualms and would feel optimistic and safe about having a business there and being there at any time of day or night.

It's my understanding that Whalley and Newton are the regions that have had more problems with crime and public safety than other parts of Surrey, and that's been more in some of the residential areas rather than in their business areas. I looked up the Surrey RCMP's crime stats, it has information about stats for each region so if you wish you can look at that and compare the stats for each region.
Surrey RCMP - Crime Statistics

Also, not trying to be preachy but I'll say that I think that safety is as safety does in any place that a person finds themself. If people practise sensible safety precautions, don't associate or get involved with gangs and gang related drugs and criminal activities, don't leave their properties unsecured and unprotected, don't go walking in unfamiliar places in the dark of night, don't leave themselves open to being victimized and don't try to take advantage of other people .... in other words, don't go looking for trouble ..... trouble won't go looking for them and find them.

152nd Street is a major artery in Surrey that goes from Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada) straight through to White Rock and the Canada/USA border, so yes, it is an extremely busy street. If the business you're looking at is on 152nd street then it's in a good location and will definitely get lots of exposure to the public.

I hope you enjoy your visit on the weekend and I hope you find a suitable home in White Rock. It's a charming town and the beach front strip, Marine Drive, has some cool shops and restaurants, if you like good fish and chips, great seafood platters and excellent oysters then Marine Drive is a must see. If you get a chance to look at very nearby community of Crescent Beach just to see some lovely ocean/beach scenery and impressive estate properties along Crescent Drive, check that out too. https://www.google.ca/search?q=Cresc...gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=

Have a nice weekend and I wish you much good luck and success with your new endeavours.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-24-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
Looking at the recent news makes Surrey look bad. Just last week for example, an minor who was killed in Surrey. And if you look at tourist websites, like virtual tourist, the stories of carjackings are commonplace.

Last edited by marwd11; 09-26-2014 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: removed link, explained what the link said instead

Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 AM

Having just gotten back from a brief visit to White Rock, South and North Surrey I will say that none of the areas seemed unsafe to me and that White Rock and South Surrey are more picturesque areas to live. Guildford seems like a great area for business with 152 st being a very busy north/south artery for the local and surrounding areas.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,049 times
Surrey isn't really the ghetto of Vancouver, but it does have a higher rate of crime from what I know and see on the news.
The real ghetto of Vancouver is Downtown Eastside, if you want to know more about that, there are many documentaries about it, just search it on Youtube

Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
Default Surrey a ghetto?

I was in Surrey visiting friends in the spring 2014. It isn't anywhere near a ghetto or low income. Surrey is beautiful. I lived in Kittsilano in the 1970's. That was low income. I love British Columbia. It is gorgeous, especially north of Vancouver or in the mountains. I would move back in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver