Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
By Canadian standard, even Mississauga and Brampton are big cities. Who cares. It is like voting for the richest country in west Africa.

Vancouver isn't just a small city comparing with Paris Tokyo and New York. Vancouver would be smaller than a borough of these cities. It is small compared with Seattle, Washington DC, Buenos Aires, Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Istanbul, Berlin, Athens, a bunch of Italian, Spanish and German cities, most Japanese, Chinese and Korean cities, and about 200 other cities elsewhere.

And not just in population, but in terms how urban and vibrant the city is.

Vancouver is a small city. Deal with it.
Care? I really don't care. It is YOU who seems obsessed with the size of cities and constantly drones on about Vancouver NOT being a big city etc.

I KNOW Vancouver is not a large city by world standards. I have NEVER heard ANY Canadian say in the context of world cities that is was, or that even Toronto was.

You deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think some of you guys are simply flogging a dead horse when you're carrying on about how Vancouver is a small city. Nobody else cares. Everyone who lives in Vancouver already knows that Vancouver is not a huge city so why do other people make an issue about it?

Vancouver will never become a huge city. It's a small city by design, always has been and always will be small by design. That's because the people who live there and love Vancouver the way it is want it to stay that way and don't want it to ever become a huge city so they'll keep it that way.

More to the point - the people who live in Vancouver and like Vancouver the way it is - that's including everything about it, the size, the industries, the reserved social atmosphere - they are the only people whose opinions actually matter because they are the ones who support their home and keep it up and running. They ARE Vancouver.

If other people don't like Vancouver and its people the way it is, then nobody is twisting your arms and begging you to live there and nobody cares about why you don't like it. If you don't like Vancouver the way it is then Vancouver doesn't want you there, you are not welcome and you should stay away.

Exactly. Botti seems obsessed with size.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
It's always been my experience that very good quality things usually come in small packages and are worth paying for. As long as Vancouver stays small, expensive and selective it's guaranteed to keep most of the riff raff out, just as it has always done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly. Botti seems obsessed with size.
Well, it's my understanding that Botti is an immigrant from America and it seems like everyone in America is convinced that "more of everything bigger is better" so with that being the American dream Botti comes by his attitude honestly with that engraining. He hasn't lost all his American biases yet but I still have hope for him as I've observed him becoming gentler and apparently losing some of his biases over the past couple years.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-08-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's always been my experience that very good quality things usually come in small packages and are worth paying for. As long as Vancouver stays small, expensive and selective it's guaranteed to keep most of the riff raff out, just as it has always done.

Well, it's my understanding that Botti is an immigrant from America and it seems like everyone in America is convinced that "more of everything bigger is better" so with that being the American dream Botti comes by his attitude honestly with that engraining. He hasn't lost all his American biases yet but I still have hope for him as I've observed him becoming gentler and apparently losing some of his biases over the past couple years.

LOL. Yes on some things Botti has mellowed.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Vancouver with it's so called weaker economy seems to blow Seattle out of the water when it comes to liveability. We must be doing something right.

In your opinion and some senseless livability surveys (do you believe Helsinki is that livable??...before you say it, I visited there) ....when I come up to visit my friends I can introduce you quite few people in my limited circle of friends and acquaintances that if they could they would come down here in a heartbeat....how is that possible if they live in such great city??

I can list the industries even for a very small city...any place will have "IT jobs", "government jobs", and so on

When we say "Vancouver have no industry" we man a very small economic footprint compared to its world class ambitions.

I know for a fact that the "IT industry" in Vancouver is mainly low wage service jobs.

Proof is in the pudding dear friend...a guy with 8 years of experience in IT got offered 60K in Vancouver (you can check the post on here)...that is peanuts.

Unemployment may be low.....yes with a lot of dead end jobs. Low wages and poor career prospects for private jobs tell you all you need to know about the economy.

Sure, if I remember correctly, you had a nice government sponsored, "union armored" health care job...so maybe you need to widen your perspective on what Vancouver really has to offer to the average Joe.

The high number of vacancy rates in condos downtown tell a very revealing story about what mainly the city has become....

If Vancouver is doing so fine why a lot of young people wants to leave according to some news??

Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Unemployment may be low.....yes with a lot of dead end jobs.
Unemployment rate often means very little. The US state with the lowest unemployment rate is North Dakota, doesn't the economy is doing fantastic.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Everything is matter of perspective...

If you are enjoying your fat union boosted health care job pension, live alone in the downtown core, do not need a car and can comfortably pay for 3 of ridiculous expensive apples and any of your daily food expenses in the little cozy downtown food stores, Vancouver is definitely sweet...

If you retire here from your real job back east, sell your property and downsize buying a small condo in cash and live off your retirement income, Vancouver beats shoveling snow in Toronto..

If you are a real estate agent selling to all these overseas people lining up from overseas to park their moola in some tangible assets, you are doing terrific....

If, thanks to who you know not what you know, you got an overpaid desk job at the semi government ICBC shuffling papers all day, it beats doing a real job (and risking to be fired) somewhere else...

And so on....

Again, it's all matter of perspective...and availability of choices....

Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM

81 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
If Vancouver is doing so fine why a lot of young people wants to leave according to some news??
Vancouver is not very kind to those looking to get their foot in the door & most available jobs here do not provide the necessary income to live "comfortably". Kids here grow up in their multimillion dollar homes and when it's time to move out they realise that they're not able to continue the standard of living they may be used to, so they end up moving east. (or attempt to "make it" in the states) + the typical small city boredom many younger people experience in their 20's.

Regardless I love my city. The biggest flaw & most common complaint for Vancouver is that it's not suitable for most personal finances. Is the city of Vancouver overpriced? definitely but most cities with high standards of living are. also, in any city with a high cost of living if you're not "well off" you're not going to have the best time. this sort of problem is not exclusive to Vancouver.

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 10-09-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
Regardless I love my city. The biggest flaw & most common complaint for Vancouver is that it's not suitable for most personal finances. Is the city of Vancouver overpriced? definitely but most cities with high standards of living are. also, in any city with a high cost of living if you're not "well off" you're not going to have the best time. this sort of problem is not exclusive to Vancouver.
It is particularly bad in Vancouver because high cost of living does not correspond to high wages and career mobility in a lot of truly world class cities.

Even more than low wages, the problem in Vancouver is lack of opportunities.

This is the reason why more and more people (including articles written by journalists, not just fantasies of forum posters) are starting to refer to Vancouver as a "resort town".

Despite the fact that some apologists put me in the "hater" category (anyone with a bit more critical eyes become a "Vancouver hater" for some), I think Vancouver is a nice small town, gorgeous nature environment and if I was restricted to live in Canada it may well be the city where I would reside.

The biggest problems are

- Cost of living and lack of a vibrant economy with plenty career opportunities and mobility

- Lack of adequate art and entertainment scene IMHO

- Gloomy weather and an often awkward social scene (but that is a personal perspective in my case)

Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
The biggest flaw & most common complaint for Vancouver is that it's not suitable for most personal finances. Is the city of Vancouver overpriced? definitely but most cities with high standards of living are. also, in any city with a high cost of living if you're not "well off" you're not going to have the best time. this sort of problem is not exclusive to Vancouver.
except most cities with a high cost of living offer high wages, such as London, New York, San Francisco etc. Vancouver has San Francisco's cost of living and the income level of Atlanta. It also has similar weather as Seattle but pretends to be Canada's San Diego or Monaco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver