Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM

16 posts, read 27,455 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to B.C. for a year with the Odyssée program, and I would like to know how are Vancouver and Burnaby. Especially thinking about the costs, the attractions, the transit system and the spiders. I heard there was hobo spiders, brown recluse and black widows spIders in B.C., do you see them often, because I am really scared of those creepy things.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:08 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
I'm pretty sure you won't see any nasty spiders. Just avoid their habitats and there is like a 0% chance you'll encounter them.

The transit system is really good though it can get pretty packed at times. Vancouver is ridiculously and unjustifiably expensive though.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Thanks, is Burnaby cheaper?

Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Samielle, I was reading your other enquiries in the Idaho and Oklahoma forums where you were saying you want to move to USA and from your posts I got a bit more insight into your phobias and questions about spiders and other dangerous animals, like bears.

I think it's only fair to warn you that if you have really serious phobias about those things then the BC lower mainland actually might not be such a good choice and you might want to reconsider about taking the Odyssée program in another Canadian location if it's available.

Because of the unique damper, warmer rainforest micro-climate and warm winters in the lower mainland there are a great many more hobos, black widows, brown recluses, big wolf spiders, jumping spiders and many other species of biting spiders than what are found in all other parts of Canada and the northern states that get colder, drier winters. There are also a good number of bears in the parks and greenbelts of the suburbs of Vancouver as well as thousands of raccoons, skunks and coyotes that have become habituated to city living in Vancouver and all surrounding towns in the lower mainland.

I'm not saying this to try to frighten you away, just wanting you to know in all fairness that those things are here in high numbers and I think it's better for you to be informed about that if you are truly afraid of them. City dwellers who don't spend a lot of time gardening or working outdoors or walking in parks and more rural areas may not be aware of the many spiders because they just aren't looking for them and often don't know what to look for, so they don't notice them in their houses either. But they are there and most often go un-noticed and don't bother people. I've lived and worked in a lot of locations throughout the lower mainland and there isn't a single house or apartment that I've lived or worked in where I didn't find at least one black widow or wolf spider (or more) hiding tucked away in a corner cupboard in the bathroom or under a kitchen sink or behind the washer and drier in a laundry room or tucked up hiding under a couch. I have also found hobos in houses, and seen brown recluses in basements and back yard garden and patio areas.

On a positive note - I've never been bitten by any of them and I'm not afraid of spiders. When I find them I relocate them if possible. I leave the big wolf spiders alone because they are excellent hunters who will come out at night to hunt down and kill all other venomous spiders and other pest insects.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Hi, thanks for your answer! I just wanted to clarify one thing: As I'm not perfectly bilingual, I guess my threads with the bears were misunderstood. In fact, I was trying to do a comparaison. Because some people are afraid of coming to Quebec because of the bears, but in fact, we almost never see bears. So I was wondering if it was the same thing with spiders ( We get afraid but never see them) As a matter of fact, except for the spiders, I absolutely love all insects and animals, I'm really found of them and I wish if I come to Vancouver I could see possums, they seem to be a really cool animal.

For the spiders, it's true, I'm really afraid of them. But if they aren't too big, I have no problem about putting them outside wihout being too scared. It's just that here there isn't any that is poisonous where I live and I read about brown recluse that hides under your sheets, in your clothes and shoes and that you have to check all of those before you go to bed or before you dress and that makes me a little nervous. But for the black widow, I heard they stay away from you and live in wood piles or garage so I guess those aren't the ones I'm the more afraid of.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samielle View Post
For the spiders, it's true, I'm really afraid of them. But if they aren't too big, I have no problem about putting them outside wihout being too scared. It's just that here there isn't any that is poisonous where I live and I read about brown recluse that hides under your sheets, in your clothes and shoes and that you have to check all of those before you go to bed or before you dress and that makes me a little nervous. But for the black widow, I heard they stay away from you and live in wood piles or garage so I guess those aren't the ones I'm the more afraid of.
I never look in my shoes or clothes or whatever for spiders and it's never ever been an issue, there was never any spiders hiding there. Maybe that's only true when camping?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM

No, it was really in your house. But it was about brown recluse in general. So I guess this was a warning for places where there is many, in some american states like Arkansas, Texas or Oklahoma.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Anyways, I started looking to Manitoba, it looks less expensive and dangerous spiders free. I guess I'll enjoy my trip way more if I go there, thanks for your advise Zoisite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver