Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not agree.....some people may have unrealistic expectations but you cannot deny, for example, that folks in Barcelona or Cartagena are more outgoing and friendly than people in Copenhagen.

There are different cultures in the world.

Again, let's not confuse with being friendly with being polite, two very different concepts.

Rio can be considered fairly chaotic and "unpolite" but people in general are very friendly.
Let me ask you this. What are YOU doing differently than me, that makes you see a Seattle and Vancouver "FREEZE", where I do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Let me ask you this. What are YOU doing differently than me, that makes you see a Seattle and Vancouver "FREEZE", where I do not?
I think it might be a personality type issue. I've always valued genuine people and had a certain disdain for overt materialism, so the greenwashed, super-capitalist flaky/sugar-coaty culture of the West Coast of the US (and to a lesser extent BC as well) doesn't really appeal to me. I also find even as a reserved person that people on the West Coast are unexceptionally unwilling to trust others, yet themselves are not necessarily the most ethical people.

I'm only generalizing though, there are good people everywhere, including the West Coast. I just feel like mild/sunny weather (the PNW being the former of course) attracts a disproportionate amount of unlikable and rude people.

Lastly there's not really a culture of championing the little guy on the West Coast.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think it might be a personality type issue. so I've always valued genuine people and had a certain disdain for overt materialism,e greenwashed, super-capitalist flaky/sugar-coaty culture of the West Coast of the US (and to a lesser extent BC as well) doesn't really appeal to me. I also find even as a reserved person that people on the West Coast are unexceptionally unwilling to trust others, yet themselves are not necessarily the most ethical people.

I'm only generalizing though, there are good people everywhere, including the West Coast. I just feel like mild/sunny weather (the PNW being the former of course) attracts a disproportionate amount of unlikable and rude people.

Lastly there's not really a culture of championing the little guy on the West Coast.

You're contradicting yourself. How can " the west coast " be " super-capitalist flaky/sugar coat culture "
AND have a " certain disdain for overt materialism" ?

Yes you are generalizing A LOT !!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. How can " the west coast " be " super-capitalist flaky/sugar coat culture "
AND have a " certain disdain for overt materialism" ?

Yes you are generalizing A LOT !!
I said I have a disdain for overt materialism.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
I think the major difference is what behavior you may consider friendly compared to me.

Again, being polite and even prone to chit-chatting with a stranger does not necessarily mean to be friendly.

I think it may difficult to evaluate what I'm talking about if you only briefly visit a city (I believe you never lived in Seattle).

By the way, you should ask the same question to a lot of people because the term "Seattle freeze" or the reputation of Vancouver being socially awkward is not something that came from me, it is well known discussed topic....there must be a modicum of truth don't you think??

Obviously we are talking in general terms, I have great friends in Van and Seattle, there are always exceptions.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
I think the major difference is what behavior you may consider friendly compared to me.

Again, being polite and even prone to chit-chatting with a stranger does not necessarily mean to be friendly.

I think it may difficult to evaluate what I'm talking about if you only briefly visit a city (I believe you never lived in Seattle).

By the way, you should ask the same question to a lot of people because the term "Seattle freeze" or the reputation of Vancouver being socially awkward is not something that came from me, it is well known discussed topic....there must be a modicum of truth don't you think??

Obviously we are talking in general terms, I have great friends in Van and Seattle, there are always exceptions.
Ha socially awkward - how about walking down the streets of Bangkok in the land of smiles and constantly getting this...

"Hey Baby - you want a foot massssaaaage, thai massssaaage - happy endingggg" - yes very friendly lol...

How about in Havana

"Hey man where you fron" Canada "Oh Canada nice country very cold what are you looking for"

When they realize you won't bite see ya not sooo friendly..

Of course this isn't to say Cubans or Thai's aren't friendly people to say the least but in many overtly 'friendly' countries it is usual that those strangers who come up to you simply want to skim you for some bills..

So there is a difference between being 'stranger friendly' and genuine genuine friendly...

Old 06-08-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ha socially awkward - how about walking down the streets of Bangkok in the land of smiles and constantly getting this...

"Hey Baby - you want a foot massssaaaage, thai massssaaage - happy endingggg" - yes very friendly lol...

How about in Havana

"Hey man where you fron" Canada "Oh Canada nice country very cold what are you looking for"

When they realize you won't bite see ya not sooo friendly..

Of course this isn't to say Cubans or Thai's aren't friendly people to say the least but in many overtly 'friendly' countries it is usual that those strangers who come up to you simply want to skim you for some bills..

The people in the street are not what I use to judge how friendly a place is......that is the realm of being polite or, in that case, not being polite, aggressive hustling, lack of respect for personal space, etc...again, Rio streets can be shockingly rude but people in general are extremely friendly....

I did not form my opinion of Vancouver social environment based on if people smiled at me on the street, stopped their cars to allow me to cross, or the aggressive panhandling in some areas.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
The people in the street are not what I use to judge how friendly a place is......that is the realm of being polite or, in that case, not being polite, aggressive hustling, lack of respect for personal space, etc...again, Rio streets can be shockingly rude but people in general are extremely friendly....

I did not form my opinion of Vancouver social environment based on if people smiled at me on the street, stopped their cars to allow me to cross, or the aggressive panhandling in some areas.
I'm surprised one could form an opinion on the 'social environment' of a city with 2.2 million people.. Maybe you just had some bad luck and had the stinky face thing going on lol...

Old 06-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm surprised one could form an opinion on the 'social environment' of a city with 2.2 million people.. Maybe you just had some bad luck and had the stinky face thing going on lol...
Again, the socially dull reputation of Vancouver does not come from me....google is your friend..

Let's say that I agree with the consensus.....

Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I think it's a much discussed topic between misfits.

As for not living in Seattle, true, but I've been going there for over 40 years and know it pretty well.

There was a thread a while back about " men in Toronto " and " women in NYC " etc. People complaining about how horrible the men or women were. Much the same tone as the Seattle Freeze folks.

Like the Freeze folks, it's NOT the city.

Are Londoners allergic to me? Why it’s hard to make friends with locals | Australian Times

'It can take a decade to make French friends' - The Local

A Warning About Your Dream of Visiting or Moving to Barcelona | Around the World "L"

From the above link

"And also I had this idea that people would be really friendly… but they haven’t really been.”

Are there nice people in New York? How hard is it to make friends? - Quora

Every city on the planet gets the SAME treatment.

That's why this Seattle/Vancouver thing is such BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver