Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Im planning a trip over Christmas break, where we will be spending 5 days skiing in Whistler, and then the last 2 days checking out Vancouver before coming home.

I dont know the first thing about Vancouver, but I know my wife and daughters will want to be near a lot of shopping, galleries, restaurants, etc. Is there an area that is particularly known for this?

And if so, are there any hotel recommendations in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 02:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
You want to stay downtown. Downtown is compact and very walkable.
Pacific Centre mall, an underground mall has a lot of shops.

https://www.cfshops.com/pacific-centre.html

Robson Street is a shopping street as well.

https://www.tourismvancouver.com/van...robson-street/

There is also shops, and galleries on South Granville, a short bus ride over the Granville Street Bridge.

https://www.southgranville.org

A lot of hotels downtown, depending on your budget.

There are three Fairmont Hotels that you can check.

Also the https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/ho...rgia-vancouver

A smaller but popular hotel is

Luxury Downtown Vancouver Hotel | Wedgewood Hotel & Spa

Some like the lower cost Blue Horizon

https://bluehorizonhotel.com

For something a bit more " funky " The Opus Hotel in Yaletown might work. Yaletown has many restaurants.

Opus Hotel | Boutique Vancouver Hotel

https://yaletowninfo.com

Old 06-22-2018, 03:25 PM

151 posts, read 107,624 times
If you want to spend less money and/or have a kitchen and more room, rent a place through Airbnb (or the like) anywhere off the Canada transit train line, which runs in a straight line south from downtown Vancouver. It will take you directly to all the downtown shopping and touristy things you could want, including the ocean.

Any rentals along Main Street are nice and also super trendy the closer you get to Broadway, but you'll have to bus it or car it, as there isn't a train along there.

Stay far away from Hastings Street, at least until you get farther west than Clark. Then it gets safer again.

Just remember that Vancouver is small, so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. As always, parking sucks downtown, so transit is the way to go when possible. It's efficient and cheap, so take advantage. Hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
If you want to spend less money and/or have a kitchen and more room, rent a place through Airbnb (or the like) anywhere off the Canada transit train line, which runs in a straight line south from downtown Vancouver. It will take you directly to all the downtown shopping and touristy things you could want, including the ocean.

Any rentals along Main Street are nice and also super trendy the closer you get to Broadway, but you'll have to bus it or car it, as there isn't a train along there.

Stay far away from Hastings Street, at least until you get farther west than Clark. Then it gets safer again.

Just remember that Vancouver is small, so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. As always, parking sucks downtown, so transit is the way to go when possible. It's efficient and cheap, so take advantage. Hope this helps!
Short term rentals have changed in Vancouver.

If you want to rent out a room, in your principal residence. You MUST now have a license to do so. So anybody looking for one, should ask about the business license. I believe AirBnb is the only agency that is posting only owners that have licenses? Could be wrong though.

Short-term rental business licence | City of Vancouver

Condo buildings have their own additional rules with many banning any AirBnb type rental at all. In my building the shortest rental period is 3 months.

Hasting street, or the DTES isn't unsafe, just rather scary looking with all the drug addicts. I agree it's not a great place for tourists to stumble through.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:57 PM

Thank you both. I think we are just going to go with a hotel. With 3 kids, I think it will just be easier.

I’m a little worried about getting a car to bring us to the airport on Sunday morning. There is no Uber, correct? And I dont think the five of us will fit in a cab with all our luggage. It is a 7:00 flight, so we will have to leave the hotel at 4:30. I’m assuming whichever hotel we end up in, will be able to set that up for us.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Thank you both. I think we are just going to go with a hotel. With 3 kids, I think it will just be easier.

I’m a little worried about getting a car to bring us to the airport on Sunday morning. There is no Uber, correct? And I dont think the five of us will fit in a cab with all our luggage. It is a 7:00 flight, so we will have to leave the hotel at 4:30. I’m assuming whichever hotel we end up in, will be able to set that up for us.
No Uber or any service like that.

I would have the hotel book you a taxi, since it's so early and with luggage and kids. There is the Canada Line, but with the time and luggage, taxi is much easier.

It should cost around $38 CDN not including tip, to YVR. They take credit cards. Also ask the concierge or desk clerk about a taxi or car service that can hold five people plus luggage. I've heard of this one http://aerocar.ca

Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 PM

676 posts, read 648,486 times
I would stay as close to city center as possible, somewhere close to the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (though I wouldn't actually recommend staying there, necessarily. It's a bit dated) as you would be as close as possible to the prime galleries, shopping and restaurants as you had identified wanting. The Rosewood, Four Seasons and Hyatt are decent picks around the area, but quite pricey. Anywhere within the quadrant of Howe-Thurlow and Dunsmuir-Robson would be good for walkability to most places, especially with a family of five and luggage.

I would not advise staying anywhere outside of downtown for sure, you'd just be doing too much driving around. Transit is efficient but not what I'd recommend for three kids in rainy season with only two days. Much better to just be at the heart of it all and spend most of the time indoors.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I would stay as close to city center as possible, somewhere close to the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (though I wouldn't actually recommend staying there, necessarily. It's a bit dated) as you would be as close as possible to the prime galleries, shopping and restaurants as you had identified wanting. The Rosewood, Four Seasons and Hyatt are decent picks around the area, but quite pricey. Anywhere within the quadrant of Howe-Thurlow and Dunsmuir-Robson would be good for walkability to most places, especially with a family of five and luggage.

I would not advise staying anywhere outside of downtown for sure, you'd just be doing too much driving around. Transit is efficient but not what I'd recommend for three kids in rainy season with only two days. Much better to just be at the heart of it all and spend most of the time indoors.
I thought the Hotel Vancouver renovated? Or was that just the lobby?

Also I've heard that the Four Seasons is not renewing their lease, and have let things slide a bit? Not sure, if that is just a rumour though.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post

Normally I might think some of these hotels are pricey, but right now, nothing seems pricey in Vancouver after having just booked a Whistler hotel on Christmas week.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:24 PM

I am looking at the different hotels, and I really like the views from the Pan Pacific, but it is by the water, not directly downtown. How long is the walk from there to all the shops and restaurants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver