Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:09 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Vancouver displaced own people. I don't know how starting out youth is going to make it in that city. It seems nobody even cares and there's no community.

Vancouver took money made in the ways which were totally impossible in Canada-- ways that neglected civilized labor regulations, environment regulations, human ethics and in many cases, law.
Being Canadian you can't compete with this.

Fraction of society got rich as result and economy got hooked on real estate prices, like a junkie.
Commoners were left in absolute disadvantage and got the short end of the stick, of course.

Inequality and stratification just keeps growing in that place and life is getting harder and more stressful for the 99%.
Abysmal governance and antisocial direction set by the elite interests make Vancouver a nice place to live for sure.
OMG it's not THAT bad.

Yes housing is an issue, but isn't it everywhere these days???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So where did the Vancouverites who could no longer afford to live in the city move?
One thing to keep in mind Mouldy, is that Vancouver City proper is very small. It's only 115 km² or 44.4017 Square miles. Compare that to Seattle which is 217 km² or 83.7842.

So when articles give prices of housing, you have to understand are they talking about Vancouver City proper, or Metro Vancouver, OR, The Lower Mainland, OR, GVRD. In all 21 municipalities.

So when you read that a house costs an average of such and such in Vancouver, it can give the wrong impression.

There are many suburbs, where housing is cheaper. It has gotten more expensive in the last few years, partly because people that can't afford Vancouver will move there, and demand causes prices to rise.

This is not to negate the issue of rising housing costs, since IMO has gotten to a point where if you want a single family home, you have to have a lot of money.

However, condo/apartment living is the norm, and has been for many years. Most young people aren't looking for a single family home, they will go for a townhouse or a condo. Still not cheap, but at least so far attainable.

Renting used to be a much cheaper option and cheaper than a lot of other cities like Seattle, but now even that is rising.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
So where did the Vancouverites who could no longer afford to live in the city move?
In the case of my daughters they both have room mates to lower monthly apartment costs, they tell me its kinda depressing to realize they'll never have the money to afford a house or even a condo anywhere near city center.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In the case of my daughters they both have room mates to lower monthly apartment costs, they tell me its kinda depressing to realize they'll never have the money to afford a house or even a condo anywhere near city center.

City Centre, most likely not. Outside...more of a chance.

Marry rich

Old 08-29-2018, 02:33 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

A condo in Vancouver proper is impossible, however there are still plenty of apartments in good shape and relatively new (<20 yrs) that could go for 400k-500k around Burnaby, Richmond, New West, Coquitlam. I'll ignore Surrey given the "stigma" but there are condos available in the 300k-350k range. Any of these would be very difficult a single person nowadays, but very doable for a married couple pulling in 50k each or an individual pulling in over 80k. Sadly without family help, I don't think the younger generation can really make-do with any less income here (which is a large segment of the population).

Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
A condo in Vancouver proper is impossible, however there are still plenty of apartments in good shape and relatively new (<20 yrs) that could go for 400k-500k around Burnaby, Richmond, New West, Coquitlam. I'll ignore Surrey given the "stigma" but there are condos available in the 300k-350k range. Any of these would be very difficult a single person nowadays, but very doable for a married couple pulling in 50k each or an individual pulling in over 80k. Sadly without family help, I don't think the younger generation can really make-do with any less income here (which is a large segment of the population).
South Surrey is nice, but people there tend to say they live in White Rock, when they really don't LOL.

Surrey though is huge. It gets a bad rap, but that's mainly Whalley. There are a lot of good things happening out there and it's growing fast so it can't be that bad.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Vancouver displaced own people. I don't know how starting out youth is going to make it in that city. It seems nobody even cares and there's no community.
Vancouver is going to be dominated by seniors in the next few decades. A sea of grey hair everywhere and the youth is going to be a minority.

So many local articles about Vancouver's affordability and so many more on the net. https://www.whichmortgage.ca/article...er-231019.aspx

No future for young people here unless they like to mingle with an ever increasing swarm of elders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver