Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 01:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

I am not a tall man.
I’m 5’ 9” and healthy.

People on the taller side tend to have health issues and a shorter life span.

My favorite burn to those that tease me for being short is “the largest group of geniuses are about my height” I then ask them to name just one over 6’ tall.
Of course there are a few but this spooks them into quite confusion so they can’t name one and I walk away with a smile and a new enemy usually .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 05:26 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianAussie View Post
I'm a a B.C. kid by birth. I spent most of my life in Vancouver before moving to Victoria when my parents got divorced. I'm a 23 year old male who's 5'4. When I was at UBC and UVIC I noticed that most of the women were 5'7 or taller and that most of the men averaged nearly 6 feet. When walking around Vancouver and the amount of men over 6 feet is shocking. This is especially true in Yaletown and Kitsilano. At the PNE in Jun 2016 I couldn't believe the amount of men that were around 6'2-6'3.

When in Victoria its the same idea. I've always felt so short as a guy in B.C.. On the other hand in Australia I'm closer to the average whenever I'd go and visit my mom's family. I'm just wondering what is the reason why people in B.C. are so tall? In Australia its common to see a guy around 6'4. In B.C. I probably see one every 2 days.

I also find that in the Trendy Well Off hipster neighbourhoods people tend to be tall.

I’ve lived in BC since 1992 and can’t agree that the people here differ much from anywhere else in Canada.

I’m from Scotland, born and bred, and I’ve traveled much of the world. Canadians are noticeably taller than the average in most other countries, and the usual explanation given is because (until now) N. Americans have lived in a land of plenty (good food & vitamins etc) for circa 200 years, allowing the population to sprout. Sounds feasible.

When Columbus crossed the pond in 1492, the average height of European males was 5’. Currently, the average height of a man (globally), is 5’6”, and that (surprisingly) includes the U.S., which leans towards 5.7”. (That surprised me.)

I’m 5’4”, which is the Canadian average, but I’m about 2” taller than the average Scottish female.

The average global height for women is currently 5’3”, with variations ranging from 5’ - 5’6”. I find this curious, as my three daughters don’t conform to this model. They are, respectively, 5’9”, 5’7”, and 5’2”, and my (only living) son is 6’2” tall. Go figure!

Hope this helps!

Mahrie.

Last edited by Mahrie; 08-01-2022 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Adding data.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:08 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why are People in B.C. So Tall?

It's because so many British Columbians have Sasquatch ancestry. Or it could be because BC water is so nutritious.

I caught that! Good one!

Old 09-24-2022, 07:25 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Actually is if you google leg lengthening surgery. Possible to add 4" to your height. Though, I honestly think it's better to address the body dysmorphic disorder instead, as it's a year long recovery process and at least 200-300k USD.

Why spend millions on surgery when you can just find a quality shoe maker and get a pair of custom shoes/boots made that increase your height? I'm 5'7", but 5'10" with my boots on! My boots have two inch soles and a 1 inch lift on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver