Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 15,008 times

Advertisements

I moved back to Chicago last year and miss Vancouver IMMENSELY. Here are my 5 favorite things about Vancouver. What are yours?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTr9yshOpJw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 12:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwithsara View Post
I moved back to Chicago last year and miss Vancouver IMMENSELY. Here are my 5 favorite things about Vancouver. What are yours?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTr9yshOpJw
As you mentioned, the outdoors. I live on the downtown peninsula, which IMO has it all within minutes.

I love riding my bike around the seawall, not just around Stanley Park, but the whole 29K and beyond. It has to be one of the most beautiful rides around. Plenty of amazing views, beaches, different neighbourhoods with plenty of options to stop for lunch etc. Always recommend a first time do this, to get a feel of Vancouver.

Hop the Skytrain and head to some of the Asian malls in Richmond, and you feel that you are in Asia and's of course with that you get amazing food.

The air. Every city has a scent and Vancouver's can be a mix of sea and fir trees, especially on summer nights.
Other times of the year the air can be so fresh you instinctively breath a bit deeper.

The contrast of city and nature, side by side. Within minutes of standing in the middle of a modern city, you can be standing in a forest.

The seasons. People joke that Vancouver only has two seasons, wet and dry, but that isn't really true.

Winters are warmer than other parts of Canada, but the mountains are covered in snow and look stunning. I actually enjoy winter, because I'm ready to sit inside, watch the rain fall and read a good book.

Spring is incredible. With over 90,000 blossoming trees and the many gardens, you certainly know it's spring.

Summers, as you said can be wonderful. You can certainly have a great holiday without leaving town.

Autumn. Cooler, wetter, but with some crisp days. We have enough trees that change colour to signal the time of year. You know it's not winter, summer or spring.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
My fav thing about Van city is the Natural setting and fact there are so many sasquatches in the area.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Asian mall and Asian food courts.

Ice Hockey Shops that crushes any other shop in Oregon and Wa State

The most glorious scenery in North America tied with Albuquerque New Mexico region.

Staying in 4 star hotels in fall and winter for 80 bucks.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Pre-Covid we would drive up 2-3 times a year, for a day or overnight, and hope to resume later this year if the border gets opened up. We enjoyed walking Stanley Park, wandering about and having lunch at Granville Island, and buying a few things at the market there. Then we always stop on the way back at the Costco, to see what different items they have than ours, and lastly for a box of Timbits for on the way home.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:09 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Stanley Park and the waterfront downtown.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:12 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
The most glorious scenery in North America tied with Albuquerque New Mexico region.

Yeah I would have to agree. Not just in the Vancouver area but other parts of the province as well. I would really like to visit some of the arid areas of Southern BC. New Mexico seems amazing as well. It is on the top of places to visit in the US.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 10,914 times
It's also often considered one of the most livable, thanks to its well-balanced mix of modern urban features and magnificent natural surroundings. The city acts as a gateway to Canada's great outdoors, be it along the Pacific Coast or up in the Pacific Ranges.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:41 PM

676 posts, read 648,486 times
Surprisingly, at the right angle from Spanish banks and on a full clear day, Vancouver looks like a pretty large city. Flanked by Stanley Park to its left and the mountains behind it, its downtown core is quite something. I'll find a day to take a picture especially as new towers come up, but it's been a long, long time since it was a small little post colonial backwater.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Surprisingly, at the right angle from Spanish banks and on a full clear day, Vancouver looks like a pretty large city. Flanked by Stanley Park to its left and the mountains behind it, its downtown core is quite something. I'll find a day to take a picture especially as new towers come up, but it's been a long, long time since it was a small little post colonial backwater.
That's a great view. Another one I like is looking from Dunbar by 16th ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver