U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
Question Visiting Vancouver from Baltimore, Maryland

I will be visiting Vancouver, BC over the winter and have never been to Canada. I'm from Baltimore, Maryland and here its the 'big city' lifestyle. Weekends everyone heads to the bar in thier fancy expensive outfits and pays too much for a drink because we can. I'm originally from a small town in PA and grew up in a farming community. With two different lifestyles under my belt I'm wondering what to expect in Vancouver. I'm female and dress up all the time here. What types of fashions are current in BC, any culture differences? What is nightlife like, food etc, what should I wear out in the night scene and day time running around site seeing.

Is it hard to understand their currency vs. the U.S. currency?

Thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 PM

44 posts, read 103,255 times
Send me a direct message and I'll tell you all about Vancouver

Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,930,758 times
If you have eyes and can read English and numbers, you can figure out Canadian currency. Canadian currency is in dollars and cents, just like the USA. If you know how to figure out dollars and cents in the USA, I'm pretty sure you can figure it out in Canada.

But just in case...

We have a one cent coin called a "penny". It's copper coloured and will have "one cent" written on it.

We also have a 5 cent coin which is larger than a penny and it's silver in colour. It's called a "nickel". It will have "5 cents" written on it.

We have a 10 cent coin called a "dime" which is the same size of a penny, except it's also silver in colour. It will have "10 cents" written on it.

Then we have a 25 cent coin called a "quarter". It too is silver in colour but it's bigger than a penny, a dime, and a nickel. It will have "25 cents" written on it.

Sound familiar?

This is where Canadian currency differs from American currency.

Instead of a one dollar bill, Canada has a one dollar coin. It's larger than a quarter and is gold in colour. It will have "DOLLAR" written on it. People call those dollar coins a "loonie" after the bird, a loon, which is on the tail side of the coin.

Canada also has a 2 dollar coin. It's the largest coin and has 2 colours: silver and gold. It has "2 dollars" written on it. Following the nickname of "loonie", Canadians call this 2 dollar coin a "toonie" and it's pretty obvious why.

Then you get dollar bills which will have in English and in numbers: $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 and so on. Again, if you have eyes, you can figure it out.

As for dress, Vancouver, like Seattle and the rest of the west coast of North America, is very relaxed. Vancouver's a very international city, so anything goes.

People dress up to go out clubbing or if they're dining at a trendy restaurant, but this is not a city of ball gowns, tuxedos, and pearls. This doesn't mean that people go around looking like slobs either. Vancouver is a big cosmopolitan city, so you'll see it all. You too can pay too much for a drink if you wish - you'll feel right home in Yaletown where a whole lot of lounges, restaurants and bars exist for young urban socialites.

What might be different to you is that Vancouver has a huge outdoor/athletic lifestyle, so you'll see that reflected in the fashion a bit. And it's not unsual to see girls in fake tans, trendy hairstyles and sexy Lululemon yoga pants with their little Chihuauas dressed in pink in their Gucci doggy bags. I'm not kidding. You'll see plenty of hipsters in their American apparel, a lot of Hong Kong fashionistas, and yuppies in their overpriced True Religion jeans.

But you can go around town wearing a baseball jersey and nobody would bat an eye.

So just be you. Wear whatever you want to wear.

An interesting website to see Vancouver street fashion (despite the fact that he recent stopped contributing) is The Commodified

Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,930,758 times
By the way, in terms of cultural differences, you'll find Vancouver has a huge international demographic that's predominantly Asian... the food tends to revolve around local seafood (especially salmon, halibut, crab, mussels, oysters), local produce, and Asian cuisine (specifically Chinese and Japanese).

Vancouver is not known for its Mexican cuisine or Southern cooking (BBQ/biscuits and gravy) so honestly don't bother.

Restaurants and Reviews for Vancouver, Whistler and Victoria gives you a good idea of the kind of food you'll find in Vancouver.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Instead of a one dollar bill, Canada has a one dollar coin.
US has both dollar bills and dollar coins. You don't see dollar coins as often as dollar bills, but they are in circulation.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:52 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,562,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
If you have eyes and can read English and numbers, you can figure out Canadian currency. Canadian currency is in dollars and cents, just like the USA. If you know how to figure out dollars and cents in the USA, I'm pretty sure you can figure it out in Canada.

But just in case...

We have a one cent coin called a "penny". It's copper coloured and will have "one cent" written on it.

We also have a 5 cent coin which is larger than a penny and it's silver in colour. It's called a "nickel". It will have "5 cents" written on it.

We have a 10 cent coin called a "dime" which is the same size of a penny, except it's also silver in colour. It will have "10 cents" written on it.

Then we have a 25 cent coin called a "quarter". It too is silver in colour but it's bigger than a penny, a dime, and a nickel. It will have "25 cents" written on it.

Sound familiar?

This is where Canadian currency differs from American currency.

Instead of a one dollar bill, Canada has a one dollar coin. It's larger than a quarter and is gold in colour. It will have "DOLLAR" written on it. People call those dollar coins a "loonie" after the bird, a loon, which is on the tail side of the coin.

Canada also has a 2 dollar coin. It's the largest coin and has 2 colours: silver and gold. It has "2 dollars" written on it. Following the nickname of "loonie", Canadians call this 2 dollar coin a "toonie" and it's pretty obvious why.

Then you get dollar bills which will have in English and in numbers: $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 and so on. Again, if you have eyes, you can figure it out.

As for dress, Vancouver, like Seattle and the rest of the west coast of North America, is very relaxed. Vancouver's a very international city, so anything goes.

People dress up to go out clubbing or if they're dining at a trendy restaurant, but this is not a city of ball gowns, tuxedos, and pearls. This doesn't mean that people go around looking like slobs either. Vancouver is a big cosmopolitan city, so you'll see it all. You too can pay too much for a drink if you wish - you'll feel right home in Yaletown where a whole lot of lounges, restaurants and bars exist for young urban socialites.

What might be different to you is that Vancouver has a huge outdoor/athletic lifestyle, so you'll see that reflected in the fashion a bit. And it's not unsual to see girls in fake tans, trendy hairstyles and sexy Lululemon yoga pants with their little Chihuauas dressed in pink in their Gucci doggy bags. I'm not kidding. You'll see plenty of hipsters in their American apparel, a lot of Hong Kong fashionistas, and yuppies in their overpriced True Religion jeans.

But you can go around town wearing a baseball jersey and nobody would bat an eye.

So just be you. Wear whatever you want to wear.

An interesting website to see Vancouver street fashion (despite the fact that he recent stopped contributing) is The Commodified
Great post. I just want to add that Vancouver is one of North America's best cities. You will definitely have fun in Vancouver. Although the best time to visit Vancouver is probably July-September, I think it's great all around the year.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,189,277 times
I think Vancouver is a very cosmopolitan city. It is much more laid back than the East coast. You can dress up or be casual in jeans. It is not a cheap city though (like most big cities). I would not have a problem moving there. As for fashion I think its a little more hip than Baltimore, but a city that size you can find many niches.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 AM

3,874 posts, read 11,320,724 times
I used to be, lifetimes ago, a New Yorker (midtown Manhattan) and am now a Seattleite of 20+ years. I love Vancouver. I second, or third, everything that's been said so far.

You can find most info you need by Googling. Here are coin pictures; scroll halfway down the page:
Canadian Coins - Page 1
The numerals on the bills are large and thus easy to deal with.

Very important: come to Van loving seafood. The Pacific Northwest is all about seafood. Not only will you thrill and delight your seafood tooth, you will do your entire physical system so much good by pigging out daily on the bounty of the north Pacific and the Bering Sea. And bring your love for sushi and all foods Japanese. Every time I go up to Van, I have my first dinner at Toshi's (NOT Tojo's which is a pretentious ripoff) and my second dinner at Aki. Guu, or their other restaurant, Guu With Garlic, are also divine. You can Google them, or use TripAdvisor.com. (I lived in Japan for over a decade and I live for those restaurants! Perfection!)
Vancouver Vacations, Tourism and Vancouver Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Van is a beautiful, busy, complex, intelligent, vibrant city, in which the old trees have mostly been KEPT, adding to the beauty. A gentle place to be.

To be granted entry into Canada, and then be granted entry into the U.S., you'll need to follow the Immigration and Customs rules of each country.
If you've ever been convicted of a DUI, your chances are nil of being allowed to enter Canada (the Canadian authorities have all criminal records of U.S. citizens in their computers in front of them).
Here you are -- to enter Canada:
Entering Canada • U.S. Consular Services in Canada (http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp - broken link)
and to get back into the U.S.:
Documents You Will Need to Enter the United States - CBP.gov (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/air_travel/documents_needed.xml - broken link)

Take a folding umbrella and/or hooded clothes for the P.N.W. winter weather. Wear intelligent shoes like Easy Spirit Walkers under the assumption they'll get rained on every day. No suede coat or jacket or handbag -- rain. Simple, easy-to-keep hair style -- wind and rain.

Have a fabulous adventure!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM

2,298 posts, read 2,409,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegsRus View Post
I will be visiting Vancouver, BC over the winter and have never been to Canada. I'm from Baltimore, Maryland and here its the 'big city' lifestyle. Weekends everyone heads to the bar in thier fancy expensive outfits and pays too much for a drink because we can. I'm originally from a small town in PA and grew up in a farming community. With two different lifestyles under my belt I'm wondering what to expect in Vancouver. I'm female and dress up all the time here. What types of fashions are current in BC, any culture differences? What is nightlife like, food etc, what should I wear out in the night scene and day time running around site seeing.

Is it hard to understand their currency vs. the U.S. currency?

Thank you for any advice.
Where was the big city lifestyle when I visited Baltimore this summer?

Eh, I think you're being overly cautious with all your concerns, which is OK I guess, but you'll be just fine. Cultural differences, fashion, currency...not a big deal at all. It's just like visiting another city in the US.

I have lots of family in the Vancouver area and visited many times growing up, and while I won't pretend to know a lot about it, I will say it was my favorite city as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver