U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 AM

2,315 posts, read 6,372,003 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are coming to visit your fair city of Vancouver in less than a month. We'll only be there for maybe four days at most. We're both a part of the younger crowd. She's a Portlander and I am one at heart if that helps tell you what we're interested in any. We love live music, we like bars and pubs, and offbeat restaurants, but nothing too upscale. Could you point us in the direction of any funky or interesting neighborhoods? What all is a must see if you have only three or four days? It won't be the last time I visit, so if I miss a few landmarks or a few hidden gems then I can catch them next time.

Also, any ideas where to exchange currency or buy travel medical insurance? Would these services be available in Blaine, WA?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM

13,035 posts, read 20,570,427 times
I would definitely not miss the "Bill Reid Art gallery" which has some of the most exquisite examples of Pacific NorthWest ( specifically Haida)Art on display. Bill Reid was an absolute genius working on various mediums and his work is sublime.

If you are interested in Native Culture the Museum of Anthropology is one of the best in the world for Native artefacts ( with the Museum in Ottawa).

Restaurant -wise one of my favourite is the "Fish House" in the centre of Stanley Park. Stanley Park is a real pearl of an Urban park and perfect for cycling, skating and walking as it is beautiful and there is so much to do.

Kitsilano is the more laid back park of Town and there are some nice beaches in the neighbourhood too. The ones closest to the University side of Town are the quietest.

I would also take a trip up the "Sea to Sky" highway , the road to Whistler which takes in some fantastic coastal scenery.

We always make a point of taking a day trip to Bowen Island when in Vancouver as it is such a perfect little piece of escapism from the big city, yet close to it.

In the city I love Granville Island Market ( perfect place to have a muffin and a cup of coffee) , Gastown is way too touristy with associated tat but there are among it all some great Art Galleries of Native and Inuit Art.

Yaletown is the sophisticated urbanite par of town with upmarket stores and restaurants.

In Kitsilano we had excellent meals in "The Smoking Dog" and "Shijo" and Yuji" .

I ould avoid the Capilano bridge, it's just a tourt trap but I would definitely recommend a trip up to Grouse Mountain , lovely especially just before Sunset.
And we love "Deep Cove" a lovely little community about half an hour east of the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Bill Reid Gallery - Home
http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/
The Smoking Dog Bistro

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

Vancouver hotels and accommodation, Vancouver attractions, Vancouver maps, dining and things to do in Vancouver

Grouse Mountain - Home

Deep Cove BC, The Deep Cove Community Website, A Cottage Community, A People Place, Deep Cove BC, Canada, Photos, Maps, Deep Cove BC Community Website, Deep Cove BC

Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,136,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
A friend and I are coming to visit your fair city of Vancouver in less than a month. We'll only be there for maybe four days at most. We're both a part of the younger crowd. She's a Portlander and I am one at heart if that helps tell you what we're interested in any. We love live music, we like bars and pubs, and offbeat restaurants, but nothing too upscale. Could you point us in the direction of any funky or interesting neighborhoods? What all is a must see if you have only three or four days? It won't be the last time I visit, so if I miss a few landmarks or a few hidden gems then I can catch them next time.

Also, any ideas where to exchange currency or buy travel medical insurance? Would these services be available in Blaine, WA?

Thanks in advance!
You might want to watch a Canucks game as they move toward the Stanley Cup championship!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

2,315 posts, read 6,372,003 times
Thanks Mooseketeer for all the great, detailed information, with all the links and such... It's much appreciated!

And big daryle, I know you were probably less than half serious, but that's actually not a bad idea at all! I don't think either of us have ever been to a hockey game and that would be awesome if there were any in Vancouver when we're there... I'll have to look into that. Kind of a stereotypical thing to do in Canada, but it'd be lots of fun I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver