Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Vancouver The Best Place To live In The World???
YES 43 23.63%
NO 139 76.37%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,380,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
Then why is Vancouver always in the top 5 city in the world in witch to live in world surveys?
Who answers those surveys? I know I've never taken one. It's the same thing with best countries to live in and Iceland always gets top place. I know I wouldn't want to live there. Same thing with the top 10 best beaches and some beach in Florida such as Clearwater gets in the top 3, which I know is complete b.s. I can name 10 beaches just in Australia that I went to, which are nicer. My point being, surveys don't mean jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Vancouver has better skiing then either Colorado or Utah. The snow may have a higher water content, but you can ski year around here.
Cool you can ski on a glacer. Mountains in colorado and utah still have snow when they close, they just choose to close it because they have nice warm weather and people rather be biking. Warm weather is rare in coastal bc.

And if you like skiing year round california offers around 8 months...maybe more. Mammoth usually closes in early July.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 AM

287 posts, read 1,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
Cool you can ski on a glacer. Mountains in colorado and utah still have snow when they close, they just choose to close it because they have nice warm weather and people rather be biking. Warm weather is rare in coastal bc.

And if you like skiing year round california offers around 8 months...maybe more. Mammoth usually closes in early July.
Chicken,

Please what city in Utah or Colorado would compare with Vancouver?! Where else can you have both mountains and ocean like this?!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,311 times
Well you don't. But we were talking about skiing. And the ocean in BC isnt that usable. Most people think the beach in San Francisco is freezing, it only gets colder. Some people do go surfing though. In utah there is the great salt lake though. it's big and salty.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
there is one city that far and away beats out Vancouver and every other city in the world, and that's New York. ...the bottom line for me is that New York beats out every other city I've ever seen in terms of beauty, culture, people...
NYC the beautiful????! How about NYC beats Vancouver in the proximity to the great outdoors?!

Wow, how people can be different! Cannot wait until I get out of this dirty, stinky, overcrowded place called New York City. Very often, in a park, I don't know if that was a squirrel or a rat. Five looooooooooooong years! Hopefully, this year!

Sorry, Mishigas, but NYC is not the #1 IN ANYTHING, food, beauty, culture and any other things you can think of included. But yes, it's probably what people call a "world" city. Doesn't make me feel happy and proud, though.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Quote:
NewToCa, what would some of those other cities be?
San Francisco, Denver, and Boston would be a few cities I prefer over Vancouver. I thought some of the Vancouver surrounding area, especially to the north, was very nice. We enjoyed hiking through Lynn Canyon in the mountain area just north of Vancouver. We also liked the Stanley Park area too. The natural landscape, to the north, is very impressive and a major asset for the area.

I think Vancouver is generally pretty nice, but I'll try to describe why I found it a little disappointing. Keep in mind, I'm focusing a bit on the negative here.

First off, the downtown area lacks much variety. Though the area has a lot of towers and good residential density, which I view as a plus, the towers generally look pretty similar to each other. Also, I found the downtown shopping Pacific Centre mall area, plus the huge mall in Burnaby, MetroTown, to be very sterile, lacking much in personality. It all seemed very minimalist, with little in the way of interesting architecture. The Yaletown area was nice, but just seemed to be pretty isolated to a few streets.

I also thought Chinatown was a bit shabby, and the Hastings St area, from Gastown towards the east side for a few miles to be inconsistent, and fairly shabby and trashy, with a lot of trash on the streets. This was a surprise to me, I've always found Canada (even massive Toronto) to be spotless. Gastown was pretty nice, but again it was a small area isolated to only a few streets.

Taking a look at the large residential areas, especially to the south and east of the downtown area, I found the neighborhoods to be a bit shabby, despite being rather expensive. I thought the landscaping was rather minimal too, little in the way of nice boulevards or other interesting and green areas.

Overall, I generally liked Vancouver, but have a few other areas I like a bit more.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,547 times
Vancouver trashy? Maybe you visited a year or two ago when the garbage collectors went on a strike.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Vancouver trashy? Maybe you visited a year or two ago when the garbage collectors went on a strike.
Last year, I believe it was around the end of August or early September. Specifically, I was referring to Hastings.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times
Quote:
Then why is Vancouver always in the top 5 city in the world in witch to live in world surveys?
I just had this discussion with my boyfriend, who lives in Vancouver. We came to this conclusion...there's no conceivable reason why Geneva should be in the top 5 of that list, while New York is 49th. It's apparently a list of the most "livable" cities, not the "most living" cities.

Seriously, though, this list is of the "most livable" cities, which includes a lot parameters which may not be important to everyone. I've already made my own points regarding NY vs Vancouver in this thread, so I won't rehash those. What I will say though, in regards to this list, is that I've been to all of the top 5 cities and simply don't see it.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Sorry, Mishigas, but NYC is not the #1 IN ANYTHING, food, beauty, culture and any other things you can think of included.
And, as they say, "that's what makes horse racing". If we all liked the same things, life wouldn't be as fun, would it?

We could go by these bogus "most livable cities" surveys, or simply us our own brains, and go with what we like. For me, I'd gladly give up being able to see the snow-covered mountains on the way to work to actually be in a place that has a pulse...and a passion. If others dig something else, cool. They just have to learn not to get all uppity when reasonable people don't agree that their city is the "best city in the world".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver