Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Vancouver The Best Place To live In The World???
YES 43 23.63%
NO 139 76.37%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM

287 posts, read 1,369,444 times

Advertisements

Is Vancouver the best city in the world....if the answer is NO....then what would you say the best city in the world is to live year round???

The parameters would be:
  1. Beauty
  2. Weather
  3. Safety
  4. Economy
  5. Cost of living
  6. Culture
  7. Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,063,170 times
Is Vancouver The Best City In The World?

Yes.

I'd definately add ethnic-food restaurants, particularly Japanese -- the best outside of Japan.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,415,464 times
You may have a various best city in the world..based on someone's personal experiences and choices..., with that said,
Vancouver is very nice......

#1 Sydney, Aus.
#2 Honolulu, Hawaii
#3 San Diego, CA.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
My boyfriend asks this of me quite regularly. It's usually on a nice morning, when we're driving from his place to the curling rink, and see a view of the north shore mountains as we're driving past YVR. My answer? Without a pause...."no".

It makes me feel bad, in a way, because I feel like I'm breaking his heart a little bit every time I say it. But, in my mind, there is one city that far and away beats out Vancouver and every other city in the world, and that's New York. I *do* let him know that Vancouver is in my "top 5" though.

Honestly, it's hard to put into words exactly *why* I feel this way. But, the bottom line for me is that New York beats out every other city I've ever seen in terms of beauty, culture, people...

And, as a response to allforcats, I have never been in a city that has better eats, of all ethnic types, than New York.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
My boyfriend asks this of me quite regularly. It's usually on a nice morning, when we're driving from his place to the curling rink, and see a view of the north shore mountains as we're driving past YVR. My answer? Without a pause...."no".

It makes me feel bad, in a way, because I feel like I'm breaking his heart a little bit every time I say it. But, in my mind, there is one city that far and away beats out Vancouver and every other city in the world, and that's New York. I *do* let him know that Vancouver is in my "top 5" though.

Honestly, it's hard to put into words exactly *why* I feel this way. But, the bottom line for me is that New York beats out every other city I've ever seen in terms of beauty, culture, people...

And, as a response to allforcats, I have never been in a city that has better eats, of all ethnic types, than New York.
Interesting...would you feel the same way in the winter do you think? I have seen it in the winter and the snow has esentially taken over the city foe weeks on end! But I also understand what you are saying... I feel a fondness for Paris...but no mountains in the city to look at.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
I live just south of Vancouver, on the US side. I've seen some of the worst the area has to offer, in terms of snow so bad that my work gets shut down.

With that being said, I lived in NY for quite a few years. Long story short, I'd much prefer this horrid weather that we had this past winter than what NY experiences on a regular basis. There's something about that bone-chilling wind whipping through the streets of Manhattan that doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Weather-wise, I believe the PNW in the US, and the Vancouver-area, beat out NY weather hands down. But, overall, it's still not enough to for me to agree that Vancouver is the best city in the world.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM

5,802 posts, read 11,836,998 times
No.
Too northern.
Too many grey skies.
Now bright sunlight and blue skies are all-important to me.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:10 PM

428 posts, read 1,179,507 times
No, I do not think it is the best city in the world but it is my home for now and I do think it is a beautiful city. I think the cost of living is outrageous and the endless grey skies are depressing. Also, it is not as safe as everyone thinks, although I'm thinking more of the entire metro versus the city proper. Today is beautiful though, I enjoyed a walk at Spanish Banks beach, if only there were more days like today. Overall I think Vancouver is an interesting city and certainly better than a lot of places in the world...but best is not a word I would use to describe it. You will however, find a great many Vancouverites that disagree with me. Many here think that Vancouver is the best city in the world and no other city comes remotely close to matching, let alone exceeding Vancouver's magnificence. Honestly, some people here act as if this city is nothing but rainbows and unicorns.

Last edited by Drowningintherain2; 04-25-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM

343 posts, read 1,381,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I live just south of Vancouver, on the US side. I've seen some of the worst the area has to offer, in terms of snow so bad that my work gets shut down.

With that being said, I lived in NY for quite a few years. Long story short, I'd much prefer this horrid weather that we had this past winter than what NY experiences on a regular basis. There's something about that bone-chilling wind whipping through the streets of Manhattan that doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Weather-wise, I believe the PNW in the US, and the Vancouver-area, beat out NY weather hands down. But, overall, it's still not enough to for me to agree that Vancouver is the best city in the world.
The difference in temp between NY and Vancouver/Seattle is really not very different. Cept NY city may be prone to more severe heat waves/humidity and more severe cold spells. In the end it averages out. Vancouver is more mild in the winter, but cooler then NY in the summer.

That being said No Vancouver is not the best city in the world. Its a very beautiful city with lots to do, but its not the best.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
The difference in temp between NY and Vancouver/Seattle is really not very different. Cept NY city may be prone to more severe heat waves/humidity and more severe cold spells. In the end it averages out. Vancouver is more mild in the winter, but cooler then NY in the summer.

That being said No Vancouver is not the best city in the world. Its a very beautiful city with lots to do, but its not the best.
How can it average out? Have you seen the cime stats of NY vs. Vancouver...! Folks come on...please lets get a little objectivity here. You can walk outside at night in Vancouver in all areas...including the east side...try that in some of areas in NY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver