U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM

141 posts, read 256,206 times

Advertisements

I know most of you will be biased as you live in Vancouver, but HONESTLY, do you think Vancouver is worth going out of your way to visit?

It looks like a beautiful city but I'm having a hard time finding any attractions besides dining and I've been told that there's nothing there, though there's so many buildings I have a hard time believing that.

It's going to cost me about $300 to visit. Do you think it would be worth it? Anything you recommend for me to see/do if I do come there? Do you think Toronto would be a better tourist destination? If I visit Seattle, will it be similar to visiting Vancouver?

Last edited by treat; 05-06-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,993,252 times
Quote:
I know most of you will be biased as you live in Vancouver, but HONESTLY, do you think Vancouver is worth going out of you way to visit?
Yes, and it's not because I live here.

Quote:
It looks like a beautiful city but I'm having a hard time finding any attractions besides dining and I've been told that there's nothing there, though there's so many buildings I have a hard time believing that.
Stanley Park
the seawall
Granville Island
Lynn Canyon
Museum of Anthropology
Grouse Mountain
Capilano Suspension Bridge
whale watching
kayaking
skiing
day trip to Whistler
day trip to Victoria
day trip to the Gulf Islands
Lighthouse Park
Cypress Mountain
Seymour Mountain
VanDusen Botanical Garden
Queen Elizabeth Park
Harbour Centre
Vancouver Aquarium
Vancouver Maritime Museum
Vancouver Police Museum
Vancouver Museum
Vancouver Art Gallery
Burnaby Village Museum
The Arts Club Theatre
The Commodore Ballroom
Richards on Richards
the Orpheum Theatre
The Queen Elizabeth Theatre
The Centre for Performing Arts
Commercial Drive
Yaletown
Gastown
Chinatown
Punjabi Market
Mount Pleasant
English Bay
Wreck Beach
Jericho Beach
Steveston
Metrotown
UBC Botanical Garden
Nitobe Japanese Garden
Dr Sun Yat Sen Gardens
Robson Street
South Granville
the West End
Kitsilano

.... and that's just off the top of my head.

The people who say there is nothing in Vancouver tend to expect Las Vegas or theme parks or Washington DC type museums in Vancouver. Vancouver offers certain things and it offers those things very well, but it doesn't offer everything.

Quote:
It's going to cost me about $300 to visit. Do you think it would be worth it?
It's hard to determine if it's worth it for you since I don't know what you find worthy in a city, or how much time you're planning to spend in Vancouver, or where you'll be staying, and whether or not you'll have access to a car or not.

Quote:
Anything you recommend for me to see/do if I do come there?
See my list above, otherwise help us out a little!

How are we supposed to recommend things for you to see and do if we don't know anything about you, your preferences, your interests, your age, your gender, what you like to do when you travel, your previous travel experiences, or where you're even from. It's hard to make a real accurate recommendation, otherwise it's just a guessing game.

Quote:
Do you think Toronto would be a better tourist destination?
No, not really.

Asking if Toronto is a better tourist destination than Vancouver is like asking is Chicago is a better tourist destination than San Francisco. They're apples and oranges and offer completely different experiences. What kind of experience are you hoping to get?

Quote:
If I visit Seattle, will it be similar to visiting Vancouver?
The climates are similar, but otherwise the cities give off entirely different vibes.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
I've been told that there's nothing there, though there's so many buildings I have a hard time believing that.
The attraction of Vancouver is its proximity to nature, wilderness, and outdoor activities. There are beaches, mountains, rain forests, and islands within a very short distance of those buildings. So to experience Vancouver is really to eat at those restaurants, party late at a lounge or pub, and then wake up and head out to the beach, or head up to the mountains for a hike, or go sailing to one of the islands, etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:10 PM

141 posts, read 256,206 times
Whoa Robynator, awesome post! I didn't list preferences because I want to see EVERYTHING... except children's attractions. I'm more into things that are uniquely Vancouver. Things I'm NOT into: children's activities, shopping, art galleries (though I am into museums), basically bland things I could do anywhere else. I'm really looking to experience stuff that I can only see and do in Vancouver, or things that Vancouver just happens to do better than everyone else.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 PM

282 posts, read 914,467 times
Quote:
Whoa Robynator, awesome post! I didn't list preferences because I want to see EVERYTHING... except children's attractions. I'm more into things that are uniquely Vancouver. Things I'm NOT into: children's activities, shopping, art galleries (though I am into museums), basically bland things I could do anywhere else. I'm really looking to experience stuff that I can only see and do in Vancouver, or things that Vancouver just happens to do better than everyone else.
Robynator has provided you with some of the things that might be of interest...the real issue is...what do YOU like to do? Tell us and we can make some suggestions....

Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Great! That's a start. Just based on that info alone you'll want to look into:

Stanley Park (you could spend the whole day there... but be sure to walk or bike around the seawall)
Granville Island (a true Vancouver experience, don't just go to the market but check out the other areas)
The Museum of Anthropology (best museum of its kind in North America)
Lynn Canyon (has great trails and a free suspension bridge)
Take the gondola up Grouse Mountain (if it's clear outside) or walk up the grueling Grouse Ground (a staircase up the mountainside)
a whale watching excursion through the Gulf Islands (takes up half the day)
dinner at an izakaya restaurant (like Hapa Izakaya)
quick lunch at Japadog hot dog stand
Richmond Night Market (if you're here in the summer)
ferry to Bowen Island (just outside Vancouver) and a 3 hour guided sea kayaking tour
Experiencing a sunset at English Bay or Kitsilano beach for a true Vancouver neighbourhood feeling, where it'll likely click and you'll understand what Vancouver's about

Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,722,250 times
Vancouver is the prettiest, cleanest city that I have ever been to......and I have been in quite a few countries. I think I was there in April (several years ago).... The air is crisp..... The area is gorgeous! I'd visit again in a heartbeat!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
ako

140 posts, read 215,609 times
Basically, Vancouver is awesome if you love being outdoors. IMHO Vancouver is a good 'walking' city.

As for places to visit, Robynator summed it up pretty well.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,523,705 times
I live in the Seattle area and am in Vancouver just about every weekend. If I had the choice (barring any "special events" going on in either area...like Seafair in Seattle or the Celebration of Light in Vancouver), I'd probably choose Vancouver just about every time. I suppose I'm a bit jaded, since I work in downtown Seattle and I can "see the sights" there anytime I wish. But, block for block, attraction for attraction, I think that Vancouver beats out Seattle.

Seattle is similar to Vancouver in terms of climate, and (I *know* this will bring a response from the crowd) attitude, but is vastly different in terms of overall beauty and appeal, IMO. I could list 20 places off the top of my head that are definitely "worth it" to visit in Seattle and the surrounding areas (and many, honestly, that are comparable to places in Vancouver), but as far as "overall experience" goes, if I had to choose between visiting the two, I'd choose Vancouver.

And, Robynator, just as an aside, I'm glad that Wreck Beach made your list. Now that's certainly a "unique" place.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,776 times
BUT INDEED! Vancouver is one of the friendliest and most convenient cities I've visited!
I will agree with those speaking for its picturesque nature scenes and many possibilities for outdoor activities (especially now that summer season is approaching), but will disagree with those criticizing Vancouver's in-the-city attractions. One just needs to know where to look for such events... Try visiting this website: www.ComingUp.in/Vancouver
It's extremely convenient for finding fun events in the city! There is always something new coming up in Greater Vancouver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver